Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Box Building for the Begginer

MinorSkills is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Box Building for the Begginer

First Question : Volume of box, I bought a box for 2 '12 Polks and didnt even think about the internal volume. Now I'm assuming Sub's sound best when you match the internal volume to the specs the company says, right?? Yet people buy boxes all the time that are smaller. Do Subs generally sound better in smaller or larger boxes???

I'd like to build a box for 2 12's. My local hardware store has only 1/2" MDF, will it work?? I figure since I'm new at this, I should build a sealed box first, before I try to build a vented box. Maybe build a single 12 box for a 12 I need to sell. Where in the owners manual do i find the internal volume?? is it the Vas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    doood... nooo
    1/2" mdf = ****
    and u dont want a smaller box
    here is a site to go and download free sub box design program
    http://www.linearteam.dk/statistics.asp?prog=winisdpro
    and u want to use 3/4" mdf
    i have built many boxes and it depends on the sound u are looking for
    SQ or SPL as .... u can go with sealed box ported box.. etc...
    and if u go with a smaller than fact specs box u will most likely sacrifice the sound of the sub

jlaine is offline Vaporware

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Box Building for the Begginer

Originally posted by MinorSkills
    First Question : Volume of box, I bought a box for 2 '12 Polks and didnt even think about the internal volume. Now I'm assuming Sub's sound best when you match the internal volume to the specs the company says, right?? Yet people buy boxes all the time that are smaller. Do Subs generally sound better in smaller or larger boxes???

I'd like to build a box for 2 12's. My local hardware store has only 1/2" MDF, will it work?? I figure since I'm new at this, I should build a sealed box first, before I try to build a vented box. Maybe build a single 12 box for a 12 I need to sell. Where in the owners manual do i find the internal volume?? is it the Vas
    Did you get the MOMO line?

If so, I've found that polk's recommendation for box sizes is off base by a decent margin, typically sending the subwoofer into the boomy aspect of things.

Ask some questions, poke around, learn some, you'll find that a lot of companies suggest what I feel are boomy boxes, because that is what sells...

MinorSkills is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea I kinda figured 1/2 was too thin, I found some 3 quarters at another lumber yard. I definately need to build a box for 2 MTX 8000 12's i have coming in, cuz my current box doesnt have two seperate chambers, its an mtx box I bought at Circuit City, go figure. Also porting, PVC pipe work?? I figure I'll go for SPL with these MTX's, and if I sell them and go with Perfects, then I'll try SQ

Closed Thread