User Tag List

Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New System, What to buy? I am going Crazy!!!

thewoahna is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New System, What to buy? I am going Crazy!!!

I have done much cearching over the weekend and have limited my choices. I know that I want a JBL 600.1 Amp. Now the Subs are what I still am not sure about. I am stuck between a pair of Shivas, a pair of 12" Alpine Type R's, or a pair of JL 12w3's. I just have a couple more questions...

1) From what I understand, the Shivas are 300 watts RMS. With these subs being 8 Ohm DVC, can I run them at 2 Ohms?

2) If I am to get Type R's I am going to have to run them at 1 Ohm (they are 4 Ohm DVC subs). I am afraid that this will not be as healthy for my amp. Will the JBL 600.1 amp be OK running a 1 Ohm load during my 3 hours of driving a do per day?

3) I currently have a Jensen 600 watt amp (2x200 RMS at 4 Ohm Bridged) running a pair of American Bass XL-10 (150 RMS each) subs, in a ported box. Which pair of subs on this JBL 600.1 amp would best destroy the setup I currently have when put in a sealed box (between 1.2 - 1.5 air space)?

Thanks for your help!

dr. no is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the type r's and don't sweat runnin the JBL at one ohm. I've got a 1200.1 and I've run it at 1 ohm and trust me it isn't straining at that load.

thewoahna is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this post in the amp. forum by audiolife....

it shuts down under one ohm i have 2 friends with them 1 with 2 4 ohm dvc type r's and one with 2 kove armogedons 4 dvc and when wired straight parrallel it shuts off at high volumes simple fix is series parrallel wiring doesnt skip a beat and you cant really notice a power shortage i would lean towards a memphis 1000d or a dei 1100d if true 1 ohm power is needed but the jbl does great like this

Wouldnt the same happen to me?

dr. no is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've ran my amp at 1 ohm on a road trip for over four hours straight but that wasn't at full volume, but pretty loud. No problem whatsoever. But mine is the 1200.1 and so I didn't have the gain up very high. Simple solution is spend the extra $80 and get the 1200.1 and wire the type r's series/parellel to get a 4 ohm load. That's exactly what I'm running now and they sound awsome. If you were going to get metered or something you can wire it straight parellel to get full power.

Closed Thread