Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Been away for awhile need help

sheffield is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Been away for awhile need help

Have stayed with a stock system since 2000 and haven't bought anything since 1996 I think? So I got the itch again and have put a Alpine CDA9835 powering 2 sets of MBQuart Reference Components (RSC216) in my Durango. Am happy with how loud it gets but bass is missing so I installed my old amp this weekend (Soundstream Reference 700, 500x1 4ohm bridged, 250x2 2ohm stereo, 700x1 2ohm bridged) and connected to old sub box with 2 (12in) Soundstream subs. Sounds bad either blown or messed up from being in damp garage a few years. Sub box is ported and wrong color. I have had bandpass and ported in the past and always felt was too sloppy for my tastes. From what I have been reading sealed boxes are often recommended now. In the past they were never recommended to me. I dont know how my old subs were wired. Believe were dual voice coil and connected together. All I know is amp is bridged with both sets of + wires going into + terminal of amp and both - wires going into - terminal of amp. I guess is running at 2ohm???

Would like your recommendations for subs since I really don't even recognize half of the brands out there. Maybe amp is too small for most systems, but I think it will be enough since the output from HU to components is only 26x4watts. I really dont know how to wire the systems so would need recommendation of sub at whatever ohm rating and then if is a dual voice coil would need to explain how to wire it. I wouldnt mind 1 sub instead of 2 if it would be enough (easier to remove for hauling things and easier to hide from prying eyes) I would probably put in Q-Logic sealed box or have one built custom wherever I get sub. Would like a setup costing less than $600 but higher if that is what it takes for quality.

So if it was you and you wanted sound quality with a Soundstream 700 amp what sub would you pick, how many of them, what ohm rating, how many voice coils, how would you wire it, and what size sealed box would you pick?

Thanks for any and all help. Have been searching the net and found little other than sealed boxes are often recommended and a lot of popups and spyware. I appreciate your input.

RattlinStratus is offline You Dumb Bastard...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Been away for awhile need help

Nice Head unit by the way. What music do you listen to, what kind of car is it going into? Actually most people suggest low tuned vented boxes. You can get one pretty cheap, or make it yourself. I would get a Brahama 12inch in a vented box. They sound amazing! I am not sure of the box size for it, but just search for Brahama on this forum and i am sure you will find something on it. They are very very nice sounding subs, get nice and loud, and much cheaper than the W7s. As for amps, I would check out ebay or in the classified for a Hifonics, Orion, or even Lanzar Optis. Your soundstream should power the Brahama nicely though. I would go with a dual 4 ohm coils because you can wire them to 2 ohms for your Soundstream or a Dual 2 ohm setup and wire it to 1 ohm for a Hifonics BX1000D

Current setup...
    Infinity 6.5s
    Infinity 6x9s
    Alpine Car Alarm for $14.00 installed (Workin at CC)

Future Mods:
    Alpine 9825
    Speakers
    Some Amps
    More subs than my car can handle (Four)
    Hydraulics on a Stratus? Sure why not...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Brahma's are they not dual 2ohm coils, so if I wired one set of coils in parallel wouldnt it be a 1ohm load on amp? Can this speaker be used in a sealed box I would really prefer it I like the snap of a drum more than the boom of a synth

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield
    The Brahma's are they not dual 2ohm coils, so if I wired one set of coils in parallel wouldnt it be a 1ohm load on amp? Can this speaker be used in a sealed box I would really prefer it I like the snap of a drum more than the boom of a synth
    IMO get a sub that can work with your amp......the SS Ref's are pretty sweet amps, and definitely don't ditch it for a Hifonics (unless current draw is a concern, those Ref's can be power hungry). If that amp is the same as the Rubicon's, then it will put out 700w @ 4ohm bridged also, correct? If so, you can wire a Brahma's (or any other dual 2ohm sub) in series for a 4ohm load.

Also, for subs, look into Image Dynamics IDMax, OZ ME, Stereo Integrity Magnum D2, Resonant Engineering XXX

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No it drops to 500watts bridged at 4ohms but could put the coils paralleled so that would make it a 1ohm load correct? Says the amp is stable down to 1/2ohm, but maybe too much draw on stock alternator? I donno I am lost when it comes to the electronics aspect of the hobby. Wouldn't it be better to stay with 4ohm dual coils putting into parallel for 2 ohm total load on amp? Staying away from the Brahma sub? Thanks again

Closed Thread