Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Long List Of Questions

rouskisman is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Long List Of Questions

I'm really a newbie, beginner whatever you want to call it, in car audio. I was offered 2 10' Concepts for about $150 from a audio store, is it worth it? If you have a pretty good amp pushing it? If anyone can take the time to answer some of my questions it will mean alot to me thanx.

--------------------------------

Most of this was borrowed from other threads, i'm sorry if i offended you in any way.

1 BOSS audio remote level/x-over << what is this?
    - 1 Stiffing Cap << what is this?
    -1 1 Farad Streetwires cap << what is this?
    -2 Stinger T-distribution blocks << what is this?
    -Stinger 4awg wiring << what is this?
    - But not box i was planning on doing something whack with my box using open pipe resonators << what does this mean??
    -what kind of box is best for a Ranger?? what kinds of boxes are there? and what do they do??
    -900 x 4ohms at 0.03%thd << what is this??
    -4 gauge wiring, PPI capacitor << what is this?
    -db efficiency is like 98.6 db i want about 150 -160 does that 98.6 << what is this??
    -what is a terminal cap??
    -I've heard that it depends on your setup in your vehicle to make a good sound difference, if there are so many different setups what does mostly everyone want to do and not want to do.

On a amp I am really confused.....

- Mono, is this just a amp to run for just like specific speakers?
    - 2/Channel, is this just a amp to run the subs and the component speakers?
    - multi/channel, is this just a amp to power more then two sets of speakers??

What does the following mean.

spl
    db
    dbl
    rms
    hz

-----------------------------------
    If someone could really help me out with this I would really appreciate it, My s/n is rooskisman.

dbhittin is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thats alot of ****ing Questions!!!!! I dont even know were to start. There are 3 main different types of boxes. Sealed-this means it is air tight inside. Ported-same as sealed but has a vent to let air out. Then Bandpass. This is a dual chamber box. Its like a sealed and ported in one box. Not a very good box to use. db efficiency is like 98.6- This has nothing to do with hitting 150.so dont worry about that. A terminal cup is what u plug the wires from the amp to the cup on the outside.Then u take your subs and wire them to the cup in the inside. Im going to leave somequestions for other people.

dreamer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1 BOSS audio remote level/x-over << what is this?
    It is a device that filters out frequencies of music. Most car audio systems that are high end use different types of speakers for different speakers. This is an active crossover meaning that it requires power. It plugs into the line level RCA plugs before it hits the amplifiers. So, for a big speaker that plays bass frequency, you don't want to have high frequencies going to it, it just wastes power. For little speakers, you want only high frequencies going to it. It wastes power and low bass on the little speakers at high volume sounds really bad. Also, this particular crossover seems to have the option of being able to turn up your bass with an adjustment at the dashboard so you can crank only the bass and not the rest of your system.

4 gauge wiring, PPI capacitor << what is this?
    4 gauge wiring is just the size of a wire. The less the gauge, such as 2 or 0 or 1/0 means that the wire is bigger. The bigger wire will transmit power much better. This instance seems to be wiring for an amplifier.

The PPI capacitor is a capacitor. A capicitor is a device that stores energy so that the amplifier can use it if it needs it. When the bass hits really hard, the power system of the car cannot provide enough power to certain amps, so it helps to put capacitors on the power system. A capacitor can store and discharge energy very quickly. The larger the "farads" of a capacitor, the more it can store and discharge. Farads is merely a measurement unit of capacitance. Also, people call capacitors "Caps".

- Mono, is this just a amp to run for just like specific speakers?
    A mono amp is a single channel amplifier. It typically is used to run one or more subwoofers. Somebody could use a mono amp to power one channel of a speaker set, but in order to get left and right channel of stereo, they'd need 2 mono amplifiers.

- 2/Channel, is this just a amp to run the subs and the component speakers?
    A 2 channel amp has two channels of power. You could run a left and right channel from it, you could run a pair of subwoofers with it. Most two channel amps can be bridged which means you use the 2 channels in conjunction so that you make one more powerful channel

- multi/channel, is this just a amp to power more then two sets of speakers??
    yes. Usually a 5 channel amp is used to run front right, front left, rear right, rear left and a subwoofer.

SPL
    Sound Pressure Level. How much pressure sound is causing. The higher this is, the louder it will be. This is measured in decibels. at 10 meters away, a jet engine is approx 140 dB. at 160 dB humans instantly lose their hearing. Competition vehicles can get up to 170+ dB.

db
    see above

rms
    root mean square. it is a method of averaging a set of observed measurements or numbers. It basically is a way to give a very good average of something. RMS power of an amp is power that you can expect to get all the time.

hz
    Hz is hertz, or a measurement of frequency. Humans can hear from 20-20,000 Hz. Very, very very low bass is 25 Hz - 35 Hz. Super high sounds are usually 10,000 Hz +

Well, I didn't answer them all, but I hope it helps.

DEX-P9 (headunit)
    DEQ-P9 (30band eq L/R, time alignment, 36dB/oct 4 way crossover)
    Soundstream Tarantula (for subs)
    Precision Power PCX-4125 (for horns and midbasses)
    Image Dynamics CD2 comp mini horns
    Scan-Speak 7" 18W/5535A midbasses
    Subs still pending.

Closed Thread