Closed Thread

Reload Thread: looking for opinions on four inch speakers

guest2345 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looking for opinions on four inch speakers

I'm replacing the factory speakers in a 91 Geo Prizm. I've removed the front speakers and they are four inches, or 4"T according to crutchfield.com, I'm not sure what the T refers to. I've had some trouble removing the rears (reference message on installation forum,) but according to crutchfield.com they are 5" or the slot can be modified to 5 1/4".

I went to the store and listened to some speakers and my opinion seemd to range from 'ok' to 'hmm, this seems to have lots of fake bass.' I felt the pioneers sounded the best but the selection was fairly small and I wasn't sure what I should be listening for or expect from small speakers.

Also, could I make any slight modifications that would imrpove the sound. The front speakers are below the steering wheel on the dash so a tweeter I could move to be facing up would be opitmal - I think. The front speakers also came in a fairly large (from what I was expecting) plastic enclosure. Would buying another enclosure for them improve the sound enough to make it worth the money/effort? Should I even bother with replacing front speakers or would I be better off just replacing the rears and removing the front. As it is right now, the fronts are barely even perceptible and definatly don't add anything.

for the rears, 5 1/4" seems to be the better buy because I am able to get three way speakers at that size. Is this correct? What companies make quality 5 1/4" speakers and what should I expect for the sound?

Thanks for any help.

EarDrummin. is offline Is this my Brahma?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It just so happens I have '90 geo prizm. The back speakers are a freakin PAIN to get to. If you haven't figured it out, you have to take the seat off.. unscrew the cardboard type plate they are sitting in, and a whole lot of gee-golly fun stuff underneath it. The front speakers sit in a very small plastic box.. the left speaker especially. If you want to get high quality 4" speakers, you may have to cut out the bottom of the plastic because the magnet is probably too big to fit it in. If you don't feel like doing that, get some decent kenwoods or pioneers, they'll do nicely.

Audi A6
    Alpine 7897
    MBQuart discus
    JBL bp1200.1
    Brahma 15

AOL: Rav3Cultre
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/eardrummin

Closed Thread