Reload Thread: Hifonics Square sub Versus Kicker, bout 2 give u the lowdown

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hifonics Square sub Versus Kicker, bout 2 give u the lowdown

Owned

Nice job Tracy, I think you did a very good job of clearing things up on this matter

AsK 5109 is offline I GOTTA LOTTA MOE!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stussycole
    The shop salesman that is being referred to is Alex Avila. The shop he works at is Sound Decision in Montgomery, Ill. This shop has turned out many award winning and magazine featured vehicles. Co-Owner and Installer Sean "Crackie" Young was named MERA's Installer of the year for 2003. They also have a knack for building very loud street cars.

Alex set the DbDrag Racing World Record at the Audio Thunder 3X show in Toronto, earlier this season. His competitor profile can be found here http://www.termpro.com/asp/competito...etitor_ID=6039 . He is currently the 3rd loudest Stret A car in the states, 2nd place is held by his friend and fellow Chicago-area competitor Mike Skaritka. Also, he hasn't been to a DbDrag show in almost 3 months. His Aztec is more of a show car now, he did use it to comete with in 2003. It is also used to tow his CRX. The stock radio is still in there to retain access to many of the factory controls, steering wheel controls and satellite radio, that are tied into the factory radio.

The Hifonics subs are for real. In a recent visit up to Chicago Alex proved to me that these subs could meet or exceed the spl scores of the Kickers. I cannot comment on SQ as we only tested SPL in SPL designed enclosures.

On a side note, it is interesting to see how many of you are readily willing to bash a person or a product before you have all the facts. A new car audio enthusiast goes to a shop and gets a little confused about the info he is given and before trying to figure out the real facts you all begin calling BS. How many of you have tested both the Hifonics and Kicker? How many of you have built a world record spl car? How many of you have won a World Championship? Many of the newer car audio enthusiasts are quick to critisize and slow to get the real facts or to learn how to properly do things. Without proper knowledge your are just ignorant.

omfg......so well put stussycole, everything you have talked about Sound Decision is 100% true. So you know what theres some proof for you all, i try and be nice, come on here tell you about a new product, tell you all what i think, and you bash the **** outta me? Why? Pretty dumb if you think about it. So the setup up i heard, a STOCK head unit, a line output converter, and a prefab box still sounded better than any Kicker setup I have ever heard.

And this is for Polecat.........since Sound Decision has started carrying the new Atlas's, Alex has told me they have not sold one L5 or L7, all thats been going are Hifonics stuff. And i guees it makes perfect sense that he would lie to me and try and make me buy a cheaper sub from him. Kinda ***** for Kicker dosnt it? But I guess everyone in Mongomery, Aurora, Oswego, the Chicago land area, all of the employees at Sound Decision.......i guess those people just are plain stupid then and dont know what sounds good? So you go ahead and do all of your tests and all that good stuff......but in the end it all comes down to what the people think sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by saywhat?
    i can go about flaming people with 4 L7's that hit 155 or something if they are cocky. i hate cocky people, your just as gay as the people that waste money on car audio when u must feed your family. much respect given to those who work.
    ^^^Couldn't have said it better myself.

3-11-05....I walk up to an old man looking for a toner cartridge.

Me: Something I can help you with today?
    Him: Well....It looks like you've made an executive decision to screw me.
    (Obviously didn't find what he was looking for although funny as hell)

DBfan187 is offline Supa's mom was here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AsK 5109
    but in the end it all comes down to what the people think sounds good.

stussycole is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat
    they are........
    This was in reference to an earlier post about the Atlas series being crappy L5 knockoffs. If you post things like this please back them up with factual information, it is only fair.

stussycole is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can attest. We have done test that you speak, and am quite aware of all the comparisons. While the Hifonics is a good imitation, we all know in all our SPL, installation plays a role. How do I know?
    Well, I work for Kicker and have for 16+ years. I have been here since the conception that Greg Davis started in the early 1990's, called the Kicker Competition Group. I have traveled thousands of miles to all shows with people like Greg, whom was on the Board for IASCA.
    I have had the many year priveldge of knowing, and working with Gary Biggs, world reknown car audio installer/guru/ SQ champ and Mark Eldridge.(more than multiple SQ Wolrd Expert Championships)
    Read:
    http://www.carsound.com/features/eld...evolution.html and look at the very bottom," Oh for the help of others"
    I have been there when Alma Gates came on board, and traveled with her, Gary and Mark. All, still very personal friends as well, and talk to almost weekly.(if we all have time)

So I have a tad background in this, and have seen the test.

The woofer is a good imitation. May be good for SPL, in certain cars. But in other cars, the L7, or DD, or RE, or ??? may be better. SPL is installation, 80% and product 20%.
    So because this guy does well, and he does seem to do well, so props to him, doesn't mean the Hifonics is better than the L7, or any other woofer. Shows that woofer works for him. Same as other woofers work for others.

When a new 'hobbiest' comes in slinging info that woofer X is better because he heard it from X and he saw the car do X.....people will tend to call them out. Only human, small price to pay to have public, open forums.

Props to this guy, glad they work for him. We all wish him the best.

Hope this clears up some grey air.

Tracy Focht
    Kicker Car Audio
    I do not attest to the fact that some woofers will work better than others in different configurations. I did not mention that in my first post the testing I saw was in Alex's CRX, a car well known for being loud. I have used the L7's personally, and yes they do get loud and are a good woofer. The fact is other posters called the Hifonics crap before getting all the facts. I know how Alex talks, and can see how someone could get a few facts confused. He can offer up a lot of information in a short period of conversation. It just seems that many newer car audio enthusiasts speak before they think.

As for my background in SPL I am a member of Team RF. I personally won 2 World Championships last year and my team, Art's Sound Chamber, won a total of 5, and set 4 world records.

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

you cannot patent a shape........
    Hence me asking for clarification on what these companies are stealing. Im not asking for any trade secrets, but I do think it only fair that if you say on a public domain that these companies are in fact stealing from you, that you give some credence to your rather serious allegations.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic
    that you give some credence to your rather serious allegations.
    Was that pun intentional??

Polecat is offline Team Kicker Manager

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was in reference to an earlier post about the Atlas series being crappy L5 knockoffs. If you post things like this please back them up with factual information, it is only fair.
    I was referring to a copy of the L5 and L7

In Memory of Greg Welch

Team Kicker
    Kinetik Juiced

Behind every great man....is an underwear tag!

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AsK 5109
    And this is for Polecat.........since Sound Decision has started carrying the new Atlas's, Alex has told me they have not sold one L5 or L7, all thats been going are Hifonics stuff. And i guees it makes perfect sense that he would lie to me and try and make me buy a cheaper sub from him. Kinda ***** for Kicker dosnt it? But I guess everyone in Mongomery, Aurora, Oswego, the Chicago land area, all of the employees at Sound Decision.......i guess those people just are plain stupid then and dont know what sounds good? So you go ahead and do all of your tests and all that good stuff......but in the end it all comes down to what the people think sounds good.
    if a sqaure woofer is told to a customer walking into a store, that 'this' sqaure woofer' in louder than this one, and is $40 cheaper...what would you believe? I bet you'd buy the less expensive one....salesmen sell what is easier to sell and make a profit on. I se no problem with that, becuase that's what i would do...but factual.

Never said anyone there was stupid, your actually hurting this dealers reputation.

In Memory of Greg Welch

Team Kicker
    Kinetik Juiced

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It just seems that many newer car audio enthusiasts speak before they think.

As for my background in SPL I am a member of Team RF. I personally won 2 World Championships last year and my team, Art's Sound Chamber, won a total of 5, and set 4 world records.
    I totally agree 100%...most people talk all kinds of trash, without actually trying them...most just follow the poster above them to feel 'part' of the conversation.

By the way, the car in the link does look great. I think I have seen the car before.

If you go to finals again this year, hook up with me and we'll have a beer and laugh about this then.

In Memory of Greg Welch

Team Kicker
    Kinetik Juiced

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic
    Hence me asking for clarification on what these companies are stealing. Im not asking for any trade secrets, but I do think it only fair that if you say on a public domain that these companies are in fact stealing from you, that you give some credence to your rather serious allegations.
    I am not going to get into all the lagalities, but there are two patents, look them up:

Patents: US D473,216S done in April 15, 2003 and patent US 6,911,604 B1 done on Aug 23, 2003.

In Memory of Greg Welch

Team Kicker
    Kinetik Juiced

Ricktc is offline Livin' Loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bah I wish I was rich so I could use some disposable cash to snap me up a pair of these babies and do some testing. Oh well, L7s in the future, that's for sure, and unless something like these comes along out of nowhere and drastically changes my mind, L7s are a comin'. Anybody want to contribute to the 'Buy Rick some HiFonics Atlas subs for testing' fund? Then I'll give the real lowdown

-Rick

Proud Member of Team Gates

1998 Saturn SL1

Pioneer DEH-P4600MP - Crossfire VR2000D - Kicker L5s

150.8 New AudioControl - 152.3 Classic TermLab - 147.3 New Termlab

2004 Western Canadian dBDrag Street B Champion

Tirefryr is offline PoonTang Addict!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bring back the round Solos!! I miss them so!

A bunch of SSA stuff.

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tirefryr
    Bring back the round Solos!! I miss them so!

I second that hard core

CarAudio.com mod(original)

Shinobi is offline Speaker no Jutsu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I 3rd round solo and say they should introduce a new beast SQL sub

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast