Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Memphis SHP 12'' subwoofer box design

ok, i just got this subwoofer in the mail. my intentions were to re-sell it since i got such a good deal on it, i could easily turn around and make an instant profit on it. BUT i liked it so much once i looked at it, i just have to know how it sounds. so i am wanting to build a custom ported box.

ok, so i must say, i know quite a bit about memphis HPO and MOJO model subwoofers. but they are designed with the soul purpose of SPL. which is -not- what i want out of this subwoofer. i in no way, shape or form, am trying to get numbers on a meter. i cant stress that enough. but i do want it loud.

i must also say that memphis recommends the crappiest boxs on the planet to thier woofers, and i wanted to use a little bit more than they recommend. they recommended 2 cu ft for an hpo 15'' subwoofer, which plain out sounded like crap. so i was running it in a 3.5 cu ft box of my own design. but i was wondering should i stick close to the 2 cu ft (includes port disp, and sub disp, already in it. so after all that i'm only getting -maybe- 1.5 cu ft ported for a 12'' subwoofer). or should i do what i have liked before, and add more air space. i want to go with 2 - 2 1/2 cu ft of internal volume. adding port AND sub displacement on top of that. does this sound like a bad idea???

next issue i would like a little help with. usually, i tune my boxs between 38-42 hz, so it peaks generally in alot of different rap songs. but usually doesnt play bass tracks that well. because they hit so low. but this time, i was thinking of going slightly lower, so i could hit the lows -really- well. say 35 hz?? i was just wondering what you all tune your boxs at, and what should i do mine at this time?? i'm already thinking that 30 is just to low for me. it seems like it wont get the job done. but, any input is greatly appreciated, and this forum is a great place go get answers. so, reply away, and thanks in advance (again).

supa_c is offline Abministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Memphis SHP 12'' subwoofer box design

i hate my 35hz tuning, even though i listen to hip hop you need that low low bass.
    next time its gonna be 32hz or lower for me.

Termlab is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lol, k. but historically i have tried really low like 30 hz. and it just didnt impress me on anything BUT bass tracks that hit low. rap music, rock, it all sounded like crap. so i was thinking right in the middle of 30 - 40 is 35 (thank you again math class). that way i would have pretty good low bass, and could still play the rap songs that i love without fear of them sounding "quiet". but i'm sure you know a little bit more of tuning boxs this low than me, so i'll probably try 30 - 33 somewhere. and if i dont like it, i guess i'll just have to build 2 boxs, and sell one.

supa_c is offline Abministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

just do 35 hz.
    all you need is power !

Termlab is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yea, i'm worried that planet audio pa850d just isnt gonna satisfy my hunger. i'm thinking JL 1000/1 will do the job though.

Closed Thread