Closed Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Reload Thread: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

  1. #1
    chargers's Avatar
    chargers is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Which will be better overall? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    I'm going to be switching very soon. I'm just curious which sub will be better. I am comparing a 12 to a 15. The e15a is ported at 2.2cf @ 30hz. The 12" XXX will be ported at 2.5 or 3.0cf tuned to 25hz.

    The reason I'm not comparing a 15"xxx to the e15a is because of trunk space. I won't be able to fit a properly sized box for a 15"xxx, and the e15a do well in smaller boxes.
    Last edited by chargers; 08-08-2004 at 12:47 AM.







  2. #2
    chargers's Avatar
    chargers is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    In sq/spl/overall.
    Last edited by chargers; 08-08-2004 at 12:45 AM.




  3. #3
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    The 15 will be louder b/c:

    1. more cone area...15's simply get louder and lower than 12's off the same power and enclosure specs.
    2. Slightly higher tune...less flat of a response, more SPL.

    In terms of SQ, both are excellent, excellent subs. Very tough call, but I'd probably say the 12" XXX, simply because of the lower tuned box.




  4. #4
    chargers's Avatar
    chargers is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    Ok.. another scenario:

    12" XXX vs e15a

    Both same size, same tuning.

    Which one wins in sq/spl/overall now?

    I'm really just curous because I haven't been able to test out different sized enclosures. I know the lower the tuning, the better sq, the higher the tuning, the more spl. I just don't know the audible difference between 25hz, 30hz, and 35hz.




  5. #5
    lexiphanic's Avatar
    lexiphanic is offline eD rocks :)



    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Mankato, MN
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    Quote Originally Posted by chaarlieee
    Ok.. another scenario:

    12" XXX vs e15a

    Both same size, same tuning.

    Which one wins in sq/spl/overall now?

    I'm really just curous because I haven't been able to test out different sized enclosures. I know the lower the tuning, the better sq, the higher the tuning, the more spl. I just don't know the audible difference between 25hz, 30hz, and 35hz.
    The e15a and the AE are supposed to just about be the same driver. So, the scenario is largely the same.

    Personally, I would go with the 15, and just see if you can't tune a bit lower or just go sealed to really keep your trunk space.




  6. #6
    Norcalracer283's Avatar
    Norcalracer283 is offline 4 more years of hell....



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Danville, Ca
    Posts
    1,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    a 12" XXX would be nice





    1995 Nissan Maxima
    Alpine 9847
    CDT CL-61A components
    Alpine Type R 2 way Coax's
    2 10" Alpine SWR1041D
    Audiobahn A8002T
    Hifonics TX4405
    Edead v1

  7. #7
    Randy Savage's Avatar
    Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New York
    Age
    30
    Posts
    21,104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost
    The 15 will be louder b/c:

    1. more cone area...15's simply get louder and lower than 12's off the same power and enclosure specs.
    2. Slightly higher tune...less flat of a response, more SPL.

    In terms of SQ, both are excellent, excellent subs. Very tough call, but I'd probably say the 12" XXX, simply because of the lower tuned box.
    So a 15" woofer with 3mm of one way travel will get louder than a 12" with 30mm of one way movement?


    P.S.- if you can fit 3-3.25 cubes net, you can fit a 15" XXX...





  8. #8
    chargers's Avatar
    chargers is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    Quote Originally Posted by lexiphanic
    The e15a and the AE are supposed to just about be the same driver. So, the scenario is largely the same.

    Personally, I would go with the 15, and just see if you can't tune a bit lower or just go sealed to really keep your trunk space.
    The e15a and the AE are the same.



    Did you mean e15a and XXX?

    The reason I'm thinking about switching to an XXX is because I'm afraid of blowing another A. I've blown a flat piston and an AE. I've never dealt with blown subs before other than these. I've gone through 2 12" old school rockfords, 2 12" PPI's, 12" unknown brand sub.

    I do think it was my fault because I was clipping and I have no SSF. After blowing the second sub it's made me more cautious than ever to run a sub without one. So now I'm planning on re-doing my system by getting a new sub, new amp w/ SSF.

    I could just save a lot more money by just getting a new box for the e15a. But I am curious about an XXX, even if I would have to go from a 15" to a 12". And I'm even more cautious about running an eD sub, regardless of it being my fault.

    So.. any other opinions on which will sound better in sq/spl/overall?
    Last edited by chargers; 08-08-2004 at 03:01 AM.




  9. #9
    somekook's Avatar
    somekook is offline only 15"s



    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    either driver is going to sound amazering.

    charlie, why do you want a class a/b amp for subs?




  10. #10
    Randy Savage's Avatar
    Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New York
    Age
    30
    Posts
    21,104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    Quote Originally Posted by somekook
    either driver is going to sound amazering.

    charlie, why do you want a class a/b amp for subs?
    Maybe he wants a nice heater too?






  11. #11
    chargers's Avatar
    chargers is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    I was being expensive.. in reality, I won't have the money for one, or the electrical.




  12. #12
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    So a 15" woofer with 3mm of one way travel will get louder than a 12" with 30mm of one way movement?
    don't make me come over there...you know how a Sony P5 will destroy these XXX things people keep talking about




  13. #13
    italianlifter17's Avatar
    italianlifter17 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    money is no object when it comes to sony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



    --System--
    car: SILVER 2OO4 SUBARU WRX......
    Headunit: Alpine CDA-9830
    Speakers:Rainbow Dreamline 6.5 comps
    Sub Amp: Hifonics bx1500
    Sub: RE XXX 12''...BEAST!!!
    Sub box: 2.103ft^3 tuned to 28.75hz
    Battery: 12v optima redtop 800
    FINALLY GETTING BASS ON MONDAY!!!



  14. #14
    lexiphanic's Avatar
    lexiphanic is offline eD rocks :)



    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Mankato, MN
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Which will sound better? e15a.ae or 12" XXX?

    Quote Originally Posted by chaarlieee
    The e15a and the AE are the same.



    Did you mean e15a and XXX?

    The reason I'm thinking about switching to an XXX is because I'm afraid of blowing another A. I've blown a flat piston and an AE. I've never dealt with blown subs before other than these. I've gone through 2 12" old school rockfords, 2 12" PPI's, 12" unknown brand sub.

    I do think it was my fault because I was clipping and I have no SSF. After blowing the second sub it's made me more cautious than ever to run a sub without one. So now I'm planning on re-doing my system by getting a new sub, new amp w/ SSF.

    I could just save a lot more money by just getting a new box for the e15a. But I am curious about an XXX, even if I would have to go from a 15" to a 12". And I'm even more cautious about running an eD sub, regardless of it being my fault.

    So.. any other opinions on which will sound better in sq/spl/overall?
    From a completely uninformed standpoint, I would say the 15ae would have better SQ, but from what you just posted I would say go with the XXX. I think you would enjoy the 'security' of the RE brand, and enjoy something new. Just make sure you fit the 15.

    As to what I said earlier, in one post you say AE, then you say just A. It sounded like you were wondering what the differences were between the two.




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. 12" XXX BMW Box [finally pics]
    By nweibley in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 11:16 PM
  2. The perfect 15" XXX / 12" XXX amp is ...???
    By 97JeepTJ in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 07:10 PM
  3. 12" XXX in an e46 BMW
    By hamann330ci in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 03:51 PM
  4. (20) 12" Kicker Comp VR's vs. (2) 12" XXX
    By ridered36 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 04:49 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum