Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Best sub (10 or 12") around $100 to handle 400W RMS?

benimal is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Best sub (10 or 12") around $100 to handle 400W RMS?

Lemme start by saying that I did cross-post this same message on msprotege.com as that's where I hang out. I was hoping to get input from both groups.

Folks:
    Ok I'm working on a limited budget as the wife let me spend a little money on a car audio system for my 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. I plan on purchasing a set of CDT CL-61as and CL-6Xs from TheZeb. I will be powering the front components with a Hifonics Nemesis NX880 (110W x 2). The rear (door) speakers will run off the stock Kenwood HU. I plan on upgrading the big three as well, so that I don't need to run a cap or deal with dimming issues. Last but not least, I will also get some sort of wiring setup, just not sure what.

I am now torn as to what sub to get. I have about $100 for the sub (+ shipping). I don't want to buy off ebay or buy someone elses used sub. I'm looking for a single 10" or 12" sub that will handle ~ 400W+ RMS from the amp (2 channels bridged). The sub will be in a small sealed enclosure (1 cu ft or less) in my trunk. I prefer SQ over SPL. Since I will be running a single sub, I don't care if it's SVC or DVC so long as the final impedance ends up being 4 ohms. I would prefer though, to get a sub that closely matches those specs as opposed to one with a lower RMS rating where I have to turn down my gains.

So far here are the ones I have seen that might do the trick. Let me know your thoughts on these or others. I would like to stay away from the more boomy mainstream stuff (MTX, RF, Alpine, Kicker). I've owned Kicker and JL Audio subs and am now ready to try something new. I am not too inclined to try eD given all that I've read of them (as of late). I have not auditioned any of the subs below as I don't know any places around here that sell them.

Phoenix Gold Ti10[D] (can be had new for ~ $90) - requires heavy duty box (1" MDF with serious bracing) but can handle 500W RMS.

Phoenix Gold Ti12D (factory renewed for $90) - not too keen on the factory renewed part, but **** a PG Ti12D for under $100!$%^

Adire Shiva 12" ($125 + shipping) - dual 8ohm coils, but requires a bigger box (~ 1.5 cu ft based on what I've read)

CDT Audio CL-1215 (now on special at TheZeb for $100) - seems to be a good fit at 400W RMS, but can't find any reviews on them. Would be nice to have an all CDT system I suppose, but it's not the end of the world if I don't.

I'd like to purchase a simple prefab box if I can, but the quality ones I've seen are either from Subzone (ok for $50) or SubZero (nice but twice as much as subzone). I realize I could probably make the box myself for cheaper, but the fact is that I don't really wanna if I don't have to.

As you can tell, this won't be a show car... just make my commute that much more enjoyable. Since I'm only planning to spend $100 on the sub, I don't expect to get the best thing out there, but something decent would be nice.

Thanks.
    Ben

Exploder 97 is offline Monte Carlo SS now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Best sub (10 or 12") around $100 to handle 400W RMS?

there is nothing wrong with factory refurbished products......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had a Memphis Power Reference 12" in my car before i totaled it. 98 bucks from a registered Memphis dealer. either single or dual 4ohm configurations, and its rated at 250w rms. very, very solid driver for the price.

***edit***eh, sorry, forgot to add that i was sending it 400w rms and it was eating it up just fine, its my belief that memphis subs are very underrated.

supa_c is offline Abministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Before you buy the CDT speakers email tplaya07 at lowrideherz@hotmail.com and ask him what he would charge you for them. His name is Tim French.
    He is a CDT Dealer and got me an awseome price on mine.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exploder 97
    there is nothing wrong with factory refurbished products......
    Well I tend to be **** and want the full warranty when possible (hence buying new), but if the deal is pretty good (as it appears to be with the PG sub) then I would consider it.

Thanks.
    Ben

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thismightbepat
    I had a Memphis Power Reference 12" in my car before i totaled it. 98 bucks from a registered Memphis dealer. either single or dual 4ohm configurations, and its rated at 250w rms. very, very solid driver for the price.

***edit***eh, sorry, forgot to add that i was sending it 400w rms and it was eating it up just fine, its my belief that memphis subs are very underrated.
    So Memphis aren't too bad? I'll see if I can find a dealer locally that might have some to audition. I just saw an auction on ebay for two Memphis Power Reference 12" subs (PR124D) with a buyitnow price of $119 + shipping. It's a little more than I wanted to spend but would also give me a spare sub (or allow me to run 2 12s off the amp with 220W RMS each). Any idea what size sealed enclosure I would use for those? But then again that's also buying off of ebay which was one of my no-nos Ah well... I'll keep searching... thanks for your input!!!

Thanks.
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Memphis is a very reputable company, very high end, so believe me if you buy from them you will be satisfied. I believe that these drivers perform better in small, sealed enclosures, 1.5 cubes should do just fine. Also dont be wary to buy from ebay as long as its from a dealer with a huge amount of feedback.

maniackilla is offline cout<<"c++";

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well for 400wrms you arent gonna notice a HUGE difference. my vote however goes for the ti12. i had 4of them and with just 2 its had a really tight punch i could feel in my chest. they play very accurately. anyone that has owned them have nothign but good reviws, 10s, 12s, ported, sealed, all good. especially for that deal man!!!!

i paid ~115 each for mine shipped and they were well worth it. ended up selling it all before ir ealized i had plenty of trunk space for all 4 :S id give anyhtign to have my system back, oh well, tyime to play with some 15s

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

I like the idea of the single PG 12, that would be sweet

CarAudio.com mod(original)

jbl_marshall21 is offline important person

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how about a premier 12". 400 rms, clean sounding sub. only thing i just remember is there dual 4 ohm.

i'll keep looking.

Alpine CDA-9886
    RUX-C701
    PXA-H701
    JL xr-650csi
    JL vr-650cxi
    2 8" W7
    JL HD750/1
    JL HD600/4
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer

maniackilla is offline cout<<"c++";

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the PGs tis come in single and dual 4, i think they arent made anymore :S plz correct me if im wrong. i had to buy my latter 2 from a guy here on the forums

naughty#9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sounddomain is having a sale right now. the Image Dynamics ID10v.3's are 110 shipped and the 12's are 125 shipped.

js1
    js1 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Adire Shivas are around $125 a piece.

-js1

Pioneer DEH-6000UB
    Fronts CDT Audio CL-61T
    4 6.5" ED
    Alpine PDX-5 Amp

99 Ford Expedition EB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cerwin-Vega Vega-12 can handle 400W RMS and can be had new on Ebay for $70 a piece (not to be confused with the newer V-Max)

Norcalracer283 is offline 4 more years of hell....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alpine Type R's run about 100 each on ebay

1995 Nissan Maxima
    Alpine 9847
    CDT CL-61A components
    Alpine Type R 2 way Coax's
    2 10" Alpine SWR1041D
    Audiobahn A8002T
    Hifonics TX4405
    Edead v1

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast