Closed Thread

Reload Thread: ported box size++++? port+++? SPL+++?

dreamer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ported box size++++? port+++? SPL+++?

I'm getting intrigued by ported boxes these days. I am generally a hard core SQL'er but, when it comes to friends installs I gotta widen my horizons.

I want to put some SPL 12s in a ported box. Is it bad to put a sub in too large of a ported box? I can't really see why it would be bad...

And, it seems from all the box modeling software I've used, if I make a bigger box, I can just make a bigger port with less length

bigger port = more spl ? at least that's what I understand

are there any drawbacks to having a subwoofer in a too large of a ported box?

Is it okay for 2 woofers in a ported box to share a common area and share a port? And, if I put 2 woofers in the common area, does that affect the "tuning" of the port?

Thanks for all your help!

bigbassman is offline Master of all things loud bigbassman is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: ported box size++++? port+++? SPL+++?

Originally posted by dreamer

I want to put some SPL 12s in a ported box. Is it bad to put a sub in too large of a ported box? I can't really see why it would be bad...
    yes, it is possible to put a woofer into a ported box that is too large, however, the best way to determine this.. is through trial and error. Usually, you shouldn't load a woofer into a ported box that is 2 times larger than its Vas. *note* there are exceptions to this.

And, it seems from all the box modeling software I've used, if I make a bigger box, I can just make a bigger port with less length
    The larger the box, the more port area is needed to keep the same tuning, if the length is kept unchanged. If you increase the volume, without altering the port area, then the port would have to be shortened, to keep the same tuning.

bigger port = more spl ? at least that's what I understand
    to a point. once you've exceeded the cone area of your woofers, there is minimal gain from enlarging the port. Some woofers do require a crazy amount of port area, when used in large ported enclosures. (ex: DD 9000 and 9500 series)

are there any drawbacks to having a subwoofer in a too large of a ported box?
    loss of output, and decreased frequency response are usually the two big things

Is it okay for 2 woofers in a ported box to share a common area and share a port? And, if I put 2 woofers in the common area, does that affect the "tuning" of the port?

Thanks for all your help!
    perfectly fine... that's how most people build ported boxes. It will affect tuning some, so consult a box design program before building...

Loyd L.

SQL Prolly

Closed Thread