Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was thinking -- Multiple 'OK' subs vs. one "GOOD" sub

You know, i was thinking (and this applies to me too, because in the next two weeks i'm going to have to decide on what subwoofer i want and how many) Is it worth it to get two, let's say, 15" Brahmas, and spending close to or over $1000 in the end, when you can go with, let's say, 8 JL Audio 12"s. because it's going to be fairly hard to get those two 15" brahmas to get as LOUD as eight 12s, right? And JL's pretty well known for their good SQ in their subs. so is it worth it?

I was planning on one 15" Brahma or XXX, because i really want to try one of them out... i've heard so much about them. But then i think, one of the reasons i'm getting a Brahma or XXX is to be able to "clown" on the bastards that pull up with their two 12s and say "haha you ONLY have one 15???!!!"... but then, for the price i can get one Brahma, i could get two 17s almost. and the two l7s would almost certainly own the Brahma in SPL, definately not SQ, but i mean, .... overall .... would you say it's worth it to go the extra way?

Also, would it be pointless to get two 15" brahmas or two 15" XXXs? One should be sufficient, right? I'm used to my two 15" JL W3s, they get "somewhat" loud, but i want much louder than them... and as good SQ (they were pretty good)... would one 15 suffice??

joshpoints is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: I was thinking -- Multiple 'OK' subs vs. one "GOOD" sub

If you get one good sub it will sound better and you can always get another good one later to make your system louder.

gellis4 is offline *how peculiar*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

L7 will own an XXX by itself if given a proper enclosure and 1kw-1.5kw

but the XXX will sound way better doing it, hahaha. So it's up to you decide what you want, i have the L7.. i was going to get a magnum but for my situation the L7 worked out a bit better.

'92 Wrangler
    35" BFG's
    Check the Wrangler

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

even 2 12's will be hella loud my Hx2's are unbarable at high volumes.

SirSyko is offline Delusional Psychotic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gellis4

but the XXX will sound way better doing it, hahaha. So it's up to you decide what you want, i have the L7.. i was going to get a magnum but for my situation the L7 worked out a bit better.
    You are so one sided. My friend owns the '04 12" L7. He put it in a 2.5 cu. ft. vented box, I dont know what tunning. Oh yeah its in has dakota in his back seat facing up, hooked up to a pg 800 watt mono amp. I do agrea the spl is crazy. I hate the freaking sub it sounds like shiit, it sounds like mud. Atleast the cone is pretty, lol. Then you go into my car, mustang, and play the same bass track and guess what, both of us cannot tell which is louder, and my box is sealed!! And my sub actually has pretty nice SQ. The only thing he trys to say is that his sub picks up lows better, which again, after listening to both for a while, IMO is false. I have owned an HC which also performed about the same for me as my H2. Your just another fuuktard who has never even owned or heard a XXX and just trying to defend your L7. I would rather go back to my type r than have that crap in my car.

Z28
    XXV-01D

CDT

PG Tantrums

OZ ME12

Stealth is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ummmm. so what else?

BDIDDY is offline Sittin' Slick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am kind of doubting that one. Maybe a SX vs. L7 wold be a better matchup...

"Just have to remember to take everything in stride, and don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today because there might not be a tomorrow. " <---- RAMOS

Profliepower is the funniest guy ever...

pavengmike6 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have read so many posts about this and that. This sub is better, this sub is better. BLAH. You can have the best sub on the market but without a well built enclosure it will still sound like crap. I will give you credit, there is a difference in some of the subs out there, but really can your human ear hear a difference.

I have been doing this for 20 years and yes you can hear and feel a difference in the subs from 20 years ago to today, but I have picked up a few different subs from todays market and tried them in the same enclosure. Maybe a small differenece in SQ, and SPL but not enough to make me pay the extra 200 plus dollars for the NAME.

I can bet if you build a good enclosure for what ever you choose you will be able to out preform most of these want to be bass kids. I would go with 12's. Only for this reason. Some (not all) 15's do not get as good of a bass response as the 12's do. I truly feel that a 12 gives you everything you could ever want. But again ideas are like a$$holes everyone has one.

BDIDDY is offline Sittin' Slick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pavengmike6
    I have read so many posts about this and that. This sub is better, this sub is better. BLAH. You can have the best sub on the market but without a well built enclosure it will still sound like crap. I will give you credit, there is a difference in some of the subs out there, but really can your human ear hear a difference.

I have been doing this for 20 years and yes you can hear and feel a difference in the subs from 20 years ago to today, but I have picked up a few different subs from todays market and tried them in the same enclosure. Maybe a small differenece in SQ, and SPL but not enough to make me pay the extra 200 plus dollars for the NAME.

I can bet if you build a good enclosure for what ever you choose you will be able to out preform most of these want to be bass kids. I would go with 12's. Only for this reason. Some (not all) 15's do not get as good of a bass response as the 12's do. I truly feel that a 12 gives you everything you could ever want. But again ideas are like a$$holes everyone has one.

Some people on this forum are gonna disagree with a couple things you just said...

1) Extra 200 plus dollars for the NAME...
    2) 15's do not get as good aof a bass response as the 12's do.

"Just have to remember to take everything in stride, and don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today because there might not be a tomorrow. " <---- RAMOS

Profliepower is the funniest guy ever...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirSyko
    You are so one sided. My friend owns the '04 12" L7. He put it in a 2.5 cu. ft. vented box, I dont know what tunning. Oh yeah its in has dakota in his back seat facing up, hooked up to a pg 800 watt mono amp. I do agrea the spl is crazy. I hate the freaking sub it sounds like shiit, it sounds like mud. Atleast the cone is pretty, lol. Then you go into my car, mustang, and play the same bass track and guess what, both of us cannot tell which is louder, and my box is sealed!! And my sub actually has pretty nice SQ. The only thing he trys to say is that his sub picks up lows better, which again, after listening to both for a while, IMO is false. I have owned an HC which also performed about the same for me as my H2. Your just another fuuktard who has never even owned or heard a XXX and just trying to defend your L7. I would rather go back to my type r than have that crap in my car.
    hmm.. i'll get the post saying that lastyears 12 L7 was like 2 DB LOUDER than a 15" XXX. And the new ones are louder than lastyears..

i'm not talking out my ***, i've owned RE before.. and i like them. I have a HC and my L7 OWNS my 15" HC in SPL.. Rapes the **** out of it.. no questions asked. You my friend have no idea what the **** you are talking about

Here's the post.. read down a bit
    http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29646

oh... and according to snova (who heard from the RE "fairy"), the HC was supposed to peak harder than the XXX (just like the SX).
    Last edited by gellis4; 06-16-2004 at 03:10 PM.

'92 Wrangler
    35" BFG's
    Check the Wrangler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, and get that 800w amp off the L7, and hook your mtx up to it and see exactly what happens. I'd put the L7 in 3.5-4 cubes tuned to like 45 hz.

Right now i've got a PPI 500w amp on my L7 and there is no comparison to my HC w/ 1200. When i did hook up the 1200w amp to the kicker it was like it just took a huge line of coke and knocked most of the shampoo bottles out of the shower when my sister was taking a shower. the HC could never do that, and it was 5.5 cubes vs ~2.4 cubes for the L7.

'92 Wrangler
    35" BFG's
    Check the Wrangler

violator5spd is offline Post Wh0re Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i'm not talking out my ***, i've owned RE before.. and i like them. I have a HC and my L7 OWNS my 15" HC in SPL.. Rapes the **** out of it.. no questions asked. You my friend have no idea what the **** you are talking about

Hey, thanks for showing me that thread. Very ineresting to see all those numbers.

- John (AIM - ViolatorJF)

2000 Dodge Neon

DEH-P9300, JBL BP600.1, eD15A.22 in 2.5^3ft sealed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by violator5spd
    Hey, thanks for showing me that thread. Very ineresting to see all those numbers.
    NP... that thread should be sticky just to shut up some stuipid arguements. It's true that the L7 is infact louder than the XXX, but those #'s show it's really dependent on install. If one is in a much better install then another it's going to be louder.

'tis too sad that they didn't have an L7 15 to put up some #'s with.. would have liked to see how that faired vs the big gun 9915

Hopefully i'll have my personal L7 metered this weekend (pics in the sig, along w/ my HC incase you don't believe).. I didn't get the chance to get my HC metered, but i'm sure that the kicker will be louder, there is just so much more bass. I won't get anywehre near the results that v8 got, because my jeep seals like a seive holds water.. hahaha

'92 Wrangler
    35" BFG's
    Check the Wrangler

dbhittin is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i will say this. I had a L5 8" 200rms. I was giving it well over 800rms at 2ohms in a 2.5 ported box all day long and it wooped the **** out of my SE 10" i had. The SE couldn't even handle that amp. Im gonna say the L7's will get louder and yes ive used a pair of L7's 15's before

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hmm.. i'll get the post saying that lastyears 12 L7 was like 2 DB LOUDER than a 15" XXX. And the new ones are louder than lastyears..

oh... and according to snova (who heard from the RE "fairy"), the HC was supposed to peak harder than the XXX (just like the SX).
    Wow your funny!!! An XXX is alot better sub then the L7. Try hitting 146db with an L7. I hit 146db max SPL on a tl mic with my 15" XXX with a Hifonics Brutus 1500D.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast