+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: How should I set the Gain, LP Filter, Subsonic, on my Alpine MRX-M100 with 1 SWR12D4?

PandaAudio is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How should I set the Gain, LP Filter, Subsonic, on my Alpine MRX-M100 with 1 SWR12D4?

What settings should I use for the amp and sub which are both 1000W RMS.

2. Dislikes csu87 disliked this post

big scott is online now blazin low, and loud big scott is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: How should I set the Gain, LP Filter, Subsonic, on my Alpine MRX-M100 with 1 SWR1

Google " amp settings".

88 s10 blazer 2door ( pic of truck in my avatar ) its all black now. 6/6
    alpine h/u cda-7894
    sq 6.5 comp's ( rf 125x2 amp )
    r.f. 6x9- rear ( 75 x 2 amp )
    sq hdc3 15" d2 in ported to 34hz
    ppi 1800x1- 1800rms at 1ohm
    all knu 1/0 ofc ect .. all knu ,, big 4,, db 200amp alt
    yellow top for now.
    plans... 4 audio battery's,, total of 2 sq 15" , 2 ppi 1800 amps and more sq comps.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How should I set the Gain, LP Filter, Subsonic, on my Alpine MRX-M100 with 1 SWR1

Quote Originally Posted by big scott View Post
    Google " amp settings".
    I did google it but, it's really complicated and confusing. Since this is a pretty popular subwoofer and amp, both from the same brand and same RMS wattage, I'm sure someone on here has the same set up as me and know the correct settings.

Ekisic is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm it can be tricky but I turn my gain up till I hear distortion, then turn it down a notch. If I still hear it while driving I have a bass nob to turn it down some more. I guess if you're looking for an exact setting I couldn't tell ya

Bass is a nice way to knock snow off.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think I'm very good at listening to distortion. I've always turn bass up till this loud metal on metal bottoming out sound on other systems before I know to turn it lower. I'm planning on having it professionally tuned but the shop keeps delaying me. It's been 2 weeks already and I have a feeling it's gonna be another week and a half. I wanna grab temporary settings from someone first.

Ekisic is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well if it makes you nervous just keep the gain low, and my LPF is on about 60 hz cause you don't want a lot of higher frequency noise like voices and such comin through a sub. That sounds like crap. As long as you don't hear any clipping or bottoming out then your sub will be healthy. I can't help you on subsonic because I never dealt with an amp that had that setting on it.

Bass is a nice way to knock snow off.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What does clipping sound like? I've searched this so many times and I haven't been able to find a good example. My gain is currently at 100%, should I make it lower? I was thinking 1000W amp and 1000W sub would mean it will be able to be at 100% power.

jeffdachef is offline I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PandaAudio View Post
    I don't think I'm very good at listening to distortion. I've always turn bass up till this loud metal on metal bottoming out sound on other systems before I know to turn it lower. I'm planning on having it professionally tuned but the shop keeps delaying me. It's been 2 weeks already and I have a feeling it's gonna be another week and a half. I wanna grab temporary settings from someone first.
    google up how to set gains with a digital multi meter. grab one for 10 bucks from walmart and you'll be good to go.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.

Subs : C2 threatcons
    Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Mids/Highs: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front stage: Massive Audio CKX 6x9 components with jbl ms62C for rear fill (Its a van, I need rear fill) db drive Pro 6.5s comming soon
    320 amp Singer alt comming soon. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

VWBobby is offline PG and SS nuthugger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Watch some videos on Youtube. It's a lot easier to understand by watching somebody instead of having to read about it.

set gain with dmm - YouTube

'65 VW Bus
    ------
    MA Hippo 122 (awaiting install),(2) Aura Sound 8's, (2) SoundStream 6.5 coax, (2) Alpine Type-S 6x9's [rear fill], MBQ DSC1500.1D, RF 501X

'02 BMW 330xi (AWD coupe)
    ------
    Harman/Kardon 12-speaker System Option + Dayton HO D4 10" and PPI Ion 650.1 in sealed box
    And many more car audio goodies in storage

cjm86 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is an easy understanding video

how to set amplifier gain with multimeter - YouTube

Head Unit/Speakers: Cheap Pioneer package from Walmart
    Subwoofers: 2 SoundQubed HDS210s in custom 2.2 cuft box tuned to 33 hertz (I know a little small for them, had to save space.)
    Subwoofer Amp: Hifonics BRZ1700. Wired to 2 ohm (1200 watts.)
    Electrical: Stock

csu87 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

subsonic is to be set at or just below box tuning, lpf is dependent on user preference. set it where it sounds best to you. gain is dependent on head unit output, so its up to you to figure that out. the way you are doing it now is completely incorrect. the gain is not a volume knob. you need to match it up with your Head Unit's RCA Out voltage or you will clip your sub to hell.

but we all know you are going to ignore any recommendations and do whatever you want.

Current - BMW 335xi SQ Build w/ IA and Sundown
    Retired - GMC Jimmy SUBS: 2 12" Aqs SUB AMP: 1 AQ 3500.1 Loudest TL 155.1
    Feedback: MakeshiftAudio, woofercooker, vitveet, jonesy, 2000gator, KickerRex, mathewo, Matt2105, sicaudio, kshutte, coma-toast, RAB, matt2105, jusbloud and more that i cant remember.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
    subsonic is to be set at or just below box tuning, lpf is dependent on user preference. set it where it sounds best to you. gain is dependent on head unit output, so its up to you to figure that out. the way you are doing it now is completely incorrect. the gain is not a volume knob. you need to match it up with your Head Unit's RCA Out voltage or you will clip your sub to hell.

but we all know you are going to ignore any recommendations and do whatever you want.
    I've set the subsonic to the formula, subsonic = 0.75*Fb.
    lpf to 80hz, being that the frequency for localization ends around there.
    Bassboost to +10db
    Gain is where I am now having trouble at. I've turned it down to 3/4.

@everyone with the dmm suggestion
    I have a dmm but after watching those videos, it seems way too complicated. I need to make a special tone CD, pull out cables, etc. Is there no predetermined setting I can just use for now? My preamp voltage from the HU as written on Crutchfield is 2V.

DDtC is online now High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Bassboost to +10db

I have a dmm but after watching those videos, it seems way too complicated. I need to make a special tone CD, pull out cables, etc. Is there no predetermined setting I can just use for now? My preamp voltage from the HU as written on Crutchfield is 2V.
    Turn the boost to 0 now. You have 2v outs you are safe at half gain. Leave it there until you figure out how to do it right.

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DD M4(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

csu87 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bassboost to +10db

Don't use bass boost and no, there is no pre determined spot for gain

Current - BMW 335xi SQ Build w/ IA and Sundown
    Retired - GMC Jimmy SUBS: 2 12" Aqs SUB AMP: 1 AQ 3500.1 Loudest TL 155.1
    Feedback: MakeshiftAudio, woofercooker, vitveet, jonesy, 2000gator, KickerRex, mathewo, Matt2105, sicaudio, kshutte, coma-toast, RAB, matt2105, jusbloud and more that i cant remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I downloaded a tone generator to my phone (android), connected phone to h/u via Bluetooth. Much easier than creating a test tube CD. I had to be sure to turn the phones eq setting to off or flat.

And no there is not a predetermined setting for gain. Gotta use dmm. It's no more difficult than creating a profile on a forum to create this thread.
    Last edited by bluemarvin3030; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:47 PM.

H/U- Pioneer AVH X-5600BHS
    front stage- pioneer 3way 6x8
    rear fill- pioneer 4way 6x8 and 2-way 4x6
    Amp(s)- Kenwood KAC 1502S (connected to rear 6x8's), Rockford Fosgate T500-1bdcp and Alpine Mrv-M500
    Sub(s)- 2 American Bass TNT1244, each in a 1.7 cubic ft sealed (Yeah that's right, sealed) custom built enclosure
    And a Kenwood 12 in a prefab box.
    Happy, but not finished.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast