+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: How would I best wire up 2x 100-300W subs + 1x 400W sub to a 1000W mono amp?

oldschoolboomer is offline Premium Member oldschoolboomer is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)

Re: How would I best wire up 2x 100-300W subs + 1x 400W sub to a 1000W mono amp?

Just set your subsonic to 100Hz and you will be golden pony boy

refs: hundreds

BoomTaco64 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    219 Post(s)

Re: How would I best wire up 2x 100-300W subs + 1x 400W sub to a 1000W mono amp?

panda,
    good luck with your setup

treesive is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PandaAudio View Post
    Subs:
    1x 12" MB Quart Onyx Dual 4ohm (ONX304) = 400W RMS
    2x 6" Pyle PLPW6D Dual 4ohm = 300W RMS (Though suspiciously, on the spec sheet it says 100W)

Amp:
    Alpine MRX-M100 = 600W RMS @ 4ohm, 1000W RMS @ 2ohm, 500W RMS @ 1ohm

Yes, I understand those subs are far inferior and completely outclassed by the amp, but that's sort of the point. No need to get into it.

How would I best wire them up to the amp so that each sub receives its proportionate amount of power and also allows the amp to run closest to its ideal 2ohms? Do I need to make any changes to the amount of subs?, I can take away or add an extra Pyle sub if needed. Is it even a decently good idea to run 2 different types of subs from a single mono amp?

Eventual damage to the subs is acceptable but, definitely not preferred. Eventual damage to the amp is unacceptable.

Wiring 2 different types of subs is beyond me
    There is nothing good that can come of anything you just proposed. Throw the pyles in the garbage and run the one 12 to the amp. That will by far be the best scenario. Anything else will sound like trash and cause mechanical harm to all things involved.

The Ride: 1996 Chevy Tahoe 4-Door
    The Setup: Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P80PRS
    Front Stage: Dynaudio 242's
    Rear Door: Dyn 162 gt's
    Subwoofers: TC 5400 18"
    Sub Amp: PG Elite.1
    High's Amps: PG Elite.4

4. Likes denim liked this post
    PandaAudio is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
    You are severely over thinking it. Go clamp test your amp and see what the actual power you are sending to your sub is. Google that.
    I don't have that tool or anyone that I know have it. Could I do something like that with just a multi meter?

Quote Originally Posted by treesive View Post
    There is nothing good that can come of anything you just proposed. Throw the pyles in the garbage and run the one 12 to the amp. That will by far be the best scenario. Anything else will sound like trash and cause mechanical harm to all things involved.
    So, could you explain how it would cause harm to the amp? I'm not aware of any over-driving or distortion from the amp. As far as the amp knows, it would just be sending a clean amplified signal as if it was to one subwoofer.

Anyways, I had some time and contrary to everyone's suggestions, I set up my emergency 4ohm 200W 12" sub with the two pyles measureing out to ~2.6ohm in my car to test it out. Everything sounded fine, and all the cones seemed to have the exact same excursion. Did I get lucky or is there a flaw in the theory?

Jeffdachef is online now 160 db farts n sharts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1262 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gstokes View Post
    I thought that was the norm, if i'm incorrect then please elaborate..
    a head unit is rated at 4 ohm and most speakers are rated at 4 ohm so why would 4 ohm not be the ideal load impedance ?
    this is SUBWOOFERS not speakers he's talking about its 6" subs.

OP, if everything moves the same gets louder then just roll with it if you dont want to spend time and money doing it the proper way.

Theories are just theories. Too many variables in the real world to account for. I've tried mixing and matching subs a few times back then. It was either you strike out or it actually got a little louder. When you strike out... you strike out hard. As in you get half the output of a single sub and sound quality goes down to the point where you can even feel the bass waves fighting each other and getting nothing done sound and ouptut wise.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick.
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. 0 gauge Audio technix ofc all around, 2 group 31 agms in the back.

Popwarhomie is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

In for fail thread

1994 Ford Lightning
    Pioneer 80prs/AQ1200D/SA-8s/Kicker KS 6.5" comps/400.4/optima red top/200 amp alt/
    2010 Focus
    Pioneer 80PRS (3 way active)/(Walled) (2) DC lvl3 18's/AQ2200D/PPI800.4/(6)AQ Promids/(4)AQ supertweets/AlphaDamped/KnuKonceptz wiring/Deka 100AH

8. Likes big scott, denim, gstokes liked this post
    gstokes is offline FÜKENGRUVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    In for fail thread
    some men you just can't reach..

Whip: 1992 Ford E150 Custom
    Electrical: 16V/58F Maxwell BoostCap Module
    System Configuration: 3-way Active
    Head Unit: Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X597
    Amplifier: MB Quart OA1100.5
    Tweeter: Dayton Audio RS28F-4
    Midrange: CDT Audio CL-5
    Subwoofer: MTX TNE212D

Popwarhomie is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)

some men you just can't reach..
    Not into men so that's fine with me.

1994 Ford Lightning
    Pioneer 80prs/AQ1200D/SA-8s/Kicker KS 6.5" comps/400.4/optima red top/200 amp alt/
    2010 Focus
    Pioneer 80PRS (3 way active)/(Walled) (2) DC lvl3 18's/AQ2200D/PPI800.4/(6)AQ Promids/(4)AQ supertweets/AlphaDamped/KnuKonceptz wiring/Deka 100AH

bumpasauras is offline Always Hurtin Ears!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)

Regardless ,, 1 type of sub on 1 amp

csu87 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

I don't have that tool or anyone that I know have it. Could I do something like that with just a multi meter?

So, could you explain how it would cause harm to the amp? I'm not aware of any over-driving or distortion from the amp. As far as the amp knows, it would just be sending a clean amplified signal as if it was to one subwoofer.

Anyways, I had some time and contrary to everyone's suggestions, I set up my emergency 4ohm 200W 12" sub with the two pyles measureing out to ~2.6ohm in my car to test it out. Everything sounded fine, and all the cones seemed to have the exact same excursion. Did I get lucky or is there a flaw in the theory?
    No flaw and id be curious to actually see how it sounds/performs. Just because someone who hasnt heard a lot of systems thinks its working, doesnt mean it is

Current - BMW 335xi SQ Build w/ IA and Sundown
    Retired - GMC Jimmy SUBS: 2 12" Aqs SUB AMP: 1 AQ 3500.1 Loudest TL 155.1
    Feedback: MakeshiftAudio, woofercooker, vitveet, jonesy, 2000gator, KickerRex, mathewo, Matt2105, sicaudio, kshutte, coma-toast, RAB, matt2105, jusbloud and more that i cant remember.

gstokes is offline FÜKENGRUVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)

Subs:
    1x 12" MB Quart Onyx Dual 4ohm (ONX304) = 400W RMS
    2x 6" Pyle PLPW6D Dual 4ohm = 300W RMS (Though suspiciously, on the spec sheet it says 100W)

Amp:
    Alpine MRX-M100 = 600W RMS @ 4ohm, 1000W RMS @ 2ohm, 500W RMS @ 1ohm

Yes, I understand those subs are far inferior and completely outclassed by the amp, but that's sort of the point. No need to get into it.

How would I best wire them up to the amp so that each sub receives its proportionate amount of power and also allows the amp to run closest to its ideal 2ohms? Do I need to make any changes to the amount of subs?, I can take away or add an extra Pyle sub if needed. Is it even a decently good idea to run 2 different types of subs from a single mono amp?

Eventual damage to the subs is acceptable but, definitely not preferred. Eventual damage to the amp is unacceptable.

Wiring 2 different types of subs is beyond me
    If you won't take our advice then take Pyle's since you think they are so good, do they show a subwoofer enclosure with one 12" and two 6's on their page...
    Pyle - PLPW6D*-*Car Audio*-*Subwoofers*-*6 Inch
    I didn't think so either, they show one 6" subwoofer in a box by itself, that's how they intended for this subwoofer to be used so either use it by itself or as a pair or use the 12" but you can't have your cake and eat it too.. Actually you can, but it's gonna taste like ****.

Whip: 1992 Ford E150 Custom
    Electrical: 16V/58F Maxwell BoostCap Module
    System Configuration: 3-way Active
    Head Unit: Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X597
    Amplifier: MB Quart OA1100.5
    Tweeter: Dayton Audio RS28F-4
    Midrange: CDT Audio CL-5
    Subwoofer: MTX TNE212D

adulbrich is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    241 Post(s)

I've been ignoring this thread for a few days, but... different subs on one amp is not the way to go. Not going to poke fun at anyone.

As far as ideal impedance, I think the lowest your electrical system can take is best. If you can run a DC 5k at .25 ohms, why run it at 4? I know its subjective, just putting my two cents in

15. Likes gstokes liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
    No flaw and id be curious to actually see how it sounds/performs. Just because someone who hasnt heard a lot of systems thinks its working, doesnt mean it is
    Well that's true, but I'm quite familiar with the sound of the Type-R and I would have to say it's fairly similar. Just a bit less powerful. Or at least, I am incapable of hearing a big difference in sound quality which is all the same anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by adulbrich View Post
    I've been ignoring this thread for a few days, but... different subs on one amp is not the way to go. Not going to poke fun at anyone.

As far as ideal impedance, I think the lowest your electrical system can take is best. If you can run a DC 5k at .25 ohms, why run it at 4? I know its subjective, just putting my two cents in
    The lower impedance was what I was thinking too but my amp strangely only produces half the power at 1ohm compared to 2ohm.

If you won't take our advice then take Pyle's since you think they are so good, do they show a subwoofer enclosure with one 12" and two 6's on their page...
    Pyle - PLPW6D*-*Car Audio*-*Subwoofers*-*6 Inch
    I didn't think so either, they show one 6" subwoofer in a box by itself, that's how they intended for this subwoofer to be used so either use it by itself or as a pair or use the 12" but you can't have your cake and eat it too.. Actually you can, but it's gonna taste like ****.
    No, I never said Pyle was "so good" and I definitely took everyone's advice into consideration. It's just that my uncontrolled experimental evidence suggests otherwise.

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    637 Post(s)

So after all of these experienced people explaining why not to, you still do?

CarAudio.com mod(original)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    So after all of these experienced people explaining why not to, you still do?
    Well, it seems that the general consensus was that it would sound terrible and there might be eventual damage to the drivers, which I had stated in the beginning that it would be acceptable. Sounding terrible, that's obviously something I can try and find out and I did. It didn't sound terrible and everything worked out in the end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast