+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: looking for good single 12 at 2 ohms

baknforth101 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looking for good single 12 at 2 ohms

its been 10 years since I had subs in a vehicle. used to have systems in everything I drove in my teen years. now I am driving 40 miles to work and would like to add some sound to my drive. current system is factory except a JVC deck. I have a single channel class D amp but its only 150 watts x 1 at 4 ohms (audiopipe GD-1501, it was free and yes I know its crap). but its 500 watts x 1 at 1 ohm. not sure how to wire it up and which sub I should buy for it. was thinking of getting a 12" Alpine Bassline online for only $49, free shipping. but that speaker is 4 ohms so I would only be pushing 150 watts RMS to it and I doubt that would be enough, correct? so was thinking of getting a 2 ohm speaker, assuming that if the amp is stable at 4 and 1 ohm, it would be stable at 2 ohms as well, correct? reason I want to go with a 12 inch is because I already have a 12 inch box, and not interested in spending any more money on this. just thought.....for 50 bucks I could add some decent sound for really cheap. any thoughts or ideas would be great. thanks

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Re: looking for good single 12 at 2 ohms

Ive got an eclipse 8122dvc 200shipped
    Dvc 4
    1 cube sealed
    2cubes ported
    500w rms easily takes 1000w
    In minty shape used yes but youd never know it

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well, that's a bit more than $49. lol

macsdad is offline boom-boom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Check into the lanzar max series of subs, decent bang for you buck/budget. Get a dual 4ohm, it can be wired for you 2ohm needs.

timhof13 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I've got a sundown e12 that you can wore down to 1ohm. Pm me if interested

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

interesting, so the Lanzar Maxp124d dual 4 ohm sub would be good? there's 1 one eBay for $55. and I could wire that down to 2 ohms to get the power I need from my amp, especially since its a 1600 watt sub?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Soundqubed hds200 can be had for a little over your budget. Handles 600 watts RMS, I honestly would have bought a couple myself but they don't recommend sealed enclosures.
    Last edited by bluemarvin3030; 05-13-2014 at 05:59 AM.

H/U- Pioneer AVH X-5600BHS
    front stage- pioneer 3way 6x8
    rear fill- pioneer 4way 6x8 and 2-way 4x6
    Amp(s)- Kenwood KAC 1502S (connected to rear 6x8's), Rockford Fosgate T500-1bdcp and Alpine Mrv-M500
    Sub(s)- 2 American Bass TNT1244, each in a 1.7 cubic ft sealed (Yeah that's right, sealed) custom built enclosure
    And a Kenwood 12 in a prefab box.
    Happy, but not finished.

jeffdachef is offline I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baknforth101 View Post
    interesting, so the Lanzar Maxp124d dual 4 ohm sub would be good? there's 1 one eBay for $55. and I could wire that down to 2 ohms to get the power I need from my amp, especially since its a 1600 watt sub?
    they are not 1600 watt subs, more like 750-800 watts rms

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

okay, this didn't really work. I bought the Lanzar Pro Max 12. then I realized my amp is actually 2 CHANNELS, not 1. the speaker is a dual voice coil, 4 ohm. I was hoping to wire it down to 2 ohms, but then I also thought my amp was only 1 channel, and I cant find anywhere on the amp that says its bridgeable, except that it says 150 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms, and 500 watts x 1 @ 1 ohm. obviously that must mean its bridgeable but it doesn't actually say that anywhere on it. so, I wired the speaker, jumped one positive to the other side negative, then the remaining positive and negative to the amp channel as if it were bridgeable. I literally tried everything. nothing worked, I mean, it worked just didn't get loud at all. that's why I assumed the amp either wasn't bridgeable or it just wasn't giving me nearly enough power for this sub. I wired it every possible way I could, nothing made it any louder. any ideas? is roughly 300 watts RMS just not nearly enough for this sub? because I assume that's roughly what I'm getting out of it with it wired the way I described (got directions from crutchfield). I don't know whats going on.

macsdad is offline boom-boom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

If it is a mono amp, the speaker outputs are wired together inside of the amp. They put 2sets to make it easier to hook up multiple subs.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

okay I just realized something else.........I think this is a dual 4 ohm sub, and not a dual voice coil sub. I swear I have read different things in different places. can someone google this thing and tell me exactly what it is and how to wire it up? this is starting to get really frustrating. thank you

BoomTaco64 is online now Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

the amp you have is a monoblock amp(audiopipe GD-1501). what are your settings at on the amp? where is the amp grounded? what size wire are you using for power and speaker wires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baknforth101 View Post
    okay I just realized something else.........I think this is a dual 4 ohm sub, and not a dual voice coil sub. I swear I have read different things in different places. can someone google this thing and tell me exactly what it is and how to wire it up? this is starting to get really frustrating. thank you
    wire that sub in parallel. both + to each other and both - to each other and then wire one + and one - to the amp and it will be at 2ohm and should give about 300-400w

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I played around with all the settings, turned up gain, all that stuff and would never get loud enough unless the volume was turned WAY up, and of course then it make the components sound bad. the battery is in the trunk so it is grounded using the same bolt as the battery is grounded to. 8 guage power wire, not huge speaker wire, but not small. should be plenty big, I think. and yes BoomTaco, that is the was I thought of doing and the first way I tried, but it didn't get loud at all. again , unless the deck was turned almost max. only 2 things I can think of is that 300-400 watts isn't getting it done with this sub, or this amp isn't running a single channel bridged (actually I tried just hooking it into just one of the channels, nothing changed, same sound)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

that amp is a single channel. it gives two so you are not craming wires in the same spot if running multiple subs. what type of radio are you using?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast