Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi, Im new here...Sub question

Hey guys,
    I'm new to the car audio scene, but I've been around the Rx-7 forums for a while.

Anyways, I am in the market to upgrade my old JL 10w0 that I have in the car now. The amp is an older RF 800a2, which is a 2 channel amp and does 400 at 4ohms and 800 and 2 ohms. I built a really nice custom box to fit my hatch area, and I dont want to do that again as I invested a lot of time into it. The box has a gross volume of .76 cubic feet.

I want to stay with one 10" b/c hatch space is limited in my little car. I have narrowed the field to several subs. BTW: I'm looking for more SQ than SPL. The contenders are: the MBQ PWE 252, the Diamond Audio M3 or M6, the Eclipse Aluminum, or the Alpine Type R. This is a really hard decision for me, as all of these subs are very high quaility, but some of these subs are dual 4 ohm DVC, and some are the dual 2 ohm DVC that I can wire to 4 ohms - and this is my most prefered configuration.

My question is basically, which one of these fine subs dou you think will serve my needs the best. Also, the price difference may be substantial, as the M3 can be had for $90 - and the Eclipse and PWE are in the $250 range.

As far as the ohm issue - like I said, the car is a hatchback...so all sound is automatically amplified by this. I'm too old to give myself nosebleeds, all I want is something that will sound really good. I figure 800 watts into a single 10" sub at 2 ohms will be too much for me to bear. So I thought that 400 watts at 4 ohms will be good enough. I can take a dual 2 ohm DVC and wire it up to 4 ohms to get the 400 watts. If I was to use a dual 4 ohm DVC, then I would either need to wire it down to 2 ohms or up to 8 ohms. I dont want the 2 ohms for sure (another reason is that my RF amp may not be stable there) and I have no idea how a single 10" would sound at 8 Ohms.

My HU is a Clarion Proaudio that is a few years old. My interior is run off a really old Alpine amp at 35x4 into a pair of Boston components up front and a pair of Kappas in the rear. The Alpine will be getting replaced next with a more powerfull interior amp. Im looking into an Eclipse amp which will push about 80x4.

Thanks,
    -a

gellis4 is offline *how peculiar*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hi, Im new here...Sub question

i have a 10" m3 in my sisters civic. I think it is in a similarly sized box, and it has great response. I think it is seeing 300 watts. You won't be disappointed by anything Diamond you get.. i have had M5 12"s.. (pre m6) and loved them. the m6 should work well with 400 watts, and will take the full 800 daily if you wanted to use it that way. they will have great crisp bass, and will hit hard and clean. Also, the type-R 10 will sound nice in there too, but i prefer the sound of the M3/M6 over the type-R.

I've also just recently heard a pair of eclipse aluminum 15" subs, and i must say i was impressed by them. I think that you should go and have a listen to some subs in your list, as all of them are very good woofers, but each will respond a bit differently then the next.

but, my choice out of the list:
    Diamond M6. if you want to spend more for the M6 then get it, but the M3 is very capable, and would bump right along w/ 400 watts.

'92 Wrangler
    35" BFG's
    Check the Wrangler

BIG_SUPERMAN72 is offline mother humper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hi, Im new here...Sub question

I can get u a HX2 for about 200$ shipped its 1000 watt rms. 2 ohm DVC. oh 2000 watts peak. 10".

99 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab
    22" Giovanni rims
    200 amp alt.
    Optima Yellow top in the cab
    Duralast under the hood
    3 other batts.
    Eclipse 3100
    Eclipse Comps. crossfire cfa202
    eclipse 6.75s rear + eclipse 4x6s alpine T-130
    (2) FI 15" BTLs 10cu/ft tuned to 32 hertzzzzzzz
    Massive D400x 5k @ 2 ohm
    Sorry if I make ur girlfriend wet, in advance.

Closed Thread