+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Reload Thread: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

  1. #1
    jam3so3's Avatar
    jam3so3 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Hey, I have 4 re Srx15d2's in a ported 14ft^3 box tuned to 33hz on 1500w rms @ 1ohm, and I was wondering if it would be worth swapping to 2 obsidian audio 18's? Would the 18's be louder and or have more sq? I want to maybe swap to the 18's because of box size, I would be building a 12ft^3 box tuned to 28hz if I got the 18's, what do you think?







  2. #2
    jam3so3's Avatar
    jam3so3 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Nothing??




  3. #3
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $430.23



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,687
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1985 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    ....
    Last edited by bgowdy31; 02-03-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fixed



    2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE -
    1 DC AUDIO XL-18 M1 DUAL 1 ~ 5 CUBES NET ~ 1-8" AERO ~ TUNED 39HZ
    SHARK 2500D @ .5 OHM DAILY ~ STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0

    145.8DB LEGAL SEALED ON DASH

    ~2010 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~
    *BEST SCORE ~ 95 BLAZER 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRICAL*

    R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG

  4. #4
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $430.23



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,687
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1985 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by jam3so3 View Post
    Hey, I have 4 re Srx15d2's in a ported 14ft^3 box tuned to 33hz on 1500w rms @ 1ohm, and I was wondering if it would be worth swapping to 2 obsidian audio 18's? Would the 18's be louder and or have more sq? I want to maybe swap to the 18's because of box size, I would be building a 12ft^3 box tuned to 28hz if I got the 18's, what do you think?
    not sure on the sq part but as far as being as loud or louder i would dout it will be louder due to the amount of cone area you have with the 4-15s vs 2-18s. the 4 15s have quite a bit more cone are then the 2-18s. so the 4-15s should be louder, IF the sq gets better with the 18s, im betting they wont be louder because of the cone area difference



    2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE -
    1 DC AUDIO XL-18 M1 DUAL 1 ~ 5 CUBES NET ~ 1-8" AERO ~ TUNED 39HZ
    SHARK 2500D @ .5 OHM DAILY ~ STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0

    145.8DB LEGAL SEALED ON DASH

    ~2010 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~
    *BEST SCORE ~ 95 BLAZER 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRICAL*

    R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG

  5. #5
    Popwarhomie's Avatar
    Popwarhomie is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    476 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Are you not happy with the 15s you have? Or just want louder? If I were you I would do 4 higher power handling 15s with more power.

    I have 2 18s walled on 2200 now but I'm going to be going with 4 HDS3 15"s next. More cone area.


    I would say the 2 OA 18s would be louder IF you put more than 1500rms to the both of them.



    1994 Ford Lightning
    Pioneer 80prs/AQ1200D/SA-8s/Kicker KS 6.5" comps/400.4/optima red top/200 amp alt/
    2010 Focus coupe
    Pioneer 80prs/14 cubic foot wall/(2)HDC3 18s/(2)AQ2200D/PPI800.4/(6)AQ Promids/(4)AQ supertweets/AlphaDamped/KnuKonceptz wiring/Deka batteries

  6. #6
    jam3so3's Avatar
    jam3so3 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    not sure on the sq part but as far as being as loud or louder i would dout it will be louder due to the amount of cone area you have with the 4-15s vs 2-18s. the 4 15s have quite a bit more cone are then the 2-18s. so the 4-15s should be louder, IF the sq gets better with the 18s, im betting they wont be louder because of the cone area difference
    Thanks for the input, I will probably just stick with 4 15's then. I was just looking to try something new.




  7. #7
    jam3so3's Avatar
    jam3so3 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Are you not happy with the 15s you have? Or just want louder? If I were you I would do 4 higher power handling 15s with more power.

    I have 2 18s walled on 2200 now but I'm going to be going with 4 HDS3 15"s next. More cone area.


    I would say the 2 OA 18s would be louder IF you put more than 1500rms to the both of them.
    Thanks for the input, I'm now thinking of swapping out the re 15's for some 600w rms Obsidian 15's and getting a second 1500w amp. I don't think I would want to put much more than rated to the obsidian 18's, I know people run the daily at 1k+ but I would rather not risk it. And yes I am happy with the 15's I have, but i would like it to be a little louder.




  8. #8
    Popwarhomie's Avatar
    Popwarhomie is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    476 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by jam3so3 View Post
    Thanks for the input, I'm now thinking of swapping out the re 15's for some 600w rms Obsidian 15's and getting a second 1500w amp. I don't think I would want to put much more than rated to the obsidian 18's, I know people run the daily at 1k+ but I would rather not risk it. And yes I am happy with the 15's I have, but i would like it to be a little louder.

    Check these out. I was going to do 4 OA 15s but decided on these now.

    SoundQubed HDS315



    1994 Ford Lightning
    Pioneer 80prs/AQ1200D/SA-8s/Kicker KS 6.5" comps/400.4/optima red top/200 amp alt/
    2010 Focus coupe
    Pioneer 80prs/14 cubic foot wall/(2)HDC3 18s/(2)AQ2200D/PPI800.4/(6)AQ Promids/(4)AQ supertweets/AlphaDamped/KnuKonceptz wiring/Deka batteries

  9. #9
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $430.23



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,687
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1985 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Are you not happy with the 15s you have? Or just want louder? If I were you I would do 4 higher power handling 15s with more power.

    I have 2 18s walled on 2200 now but I'm going to be going with 4 HDS3 15"s next. More cone area.


    I would say the 2 OA 18s would be louder IF you put more than 1500rms to the both of them.
    i wouldnt put more then maybe 1000-1100 to them unless you know what your doing....



    2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE -
    1 DC AUDIO XL-18 M1 DUAL 1 ~ 5 CUBES NET ~ 1-8" AERO ~ TUNED 39HZ
    SHARK 2500D @ .5 OHM DAILY ~ STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0

    145.8DB LEGAL SEALED ON DASH

    ~2010 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~
    *BEST SCORE ~ 95 BLAZER 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRICAL*

    R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG

  10. #10
    Popwarhomie's Avatar
    Popwarhomie is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    476 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    i wouldnt put more then maybe 1000-1100 to them unless you know what your doing....
    What I meant was more than 1500 for the pair sorry. I would personally run 1000 each to them. I still have my OA 12s.. Might have to throw them on the 2200 and see how they do.



    1994 Ford Lightning
    Pioneer 80prs/AQ1200D/SA-8s/Kicker KS 6.5" comps/400.4/optima red top/200 amp alt/
    2010 Focus coupe
    Pioneer 80prs/14 cubic foot wall/(2)HDC3 18s/(2)AQ2200D/PPI800.4/(6)AQ Promids/(4)AQ supertweets/AlphaDamped/KnuKonceptz wiring/Deka batteries

  11. #11
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $430.23



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,687
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1985 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    What I meant was more than 1500 for the pair sorry. I would personally run 1000 each to them. I still have my OA 12s.. Might have to throw them on the 2200 and see how they do.
    oh i see. i doing 2 18s and going with 3k before rise for the pair. after rise i should be ok that power



    2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE -
    1 DC AUDIO XL-18 M1 DUAL 1 ~ 5 CUBES NET ~ 1-8" AERO ~ TUNED 39HZ
    SHARK 2500D @ .5 OHM DAILY ~ STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0

    145.8DB LEGAL SEALED ON DASH

    ~2010 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450 STREET DIVISION CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~
    *BEST SCORE ~ 95 BLAZER 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRICAL*

    R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG

  12. #12
    jam3so3's Avatar
    jam3so3 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by Popwarhomie View Post
    Check these out. I was going to do 4 OA 15s but decided on these now.

    SoundQubed HDS315
    I've looked at those Aq's before but I don't think I would be able to put enough power to them without having to do more electrical upgrades, I already did the big 3 with 1/0 and added a 250A alt with an optima red top, probably will add one or two more xs power or kinetik AGM's soon.




  13. #13
    Electrodynamic's Avatar
    Electrodynamic is offline Knows nothing



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by jam3so3 View Post
    I've looked at those Aq's before but I don't think I would be able to put enough power to them without having to do more electrical upgrades, I already did the big 3 with 1/0 and added a 250A alt with an optima red top, probably will add one or two more xs power or kinetik AGM's soon.
    And you will receive less bottom end with the AQ's vs. the OA's...much less actually. The Q alignemnt has to be through the roof yielding a very big spike in response followed by a steep roll off below the F3 of the system. Sure the larger 3" coil can handle more power. If all that you are after is power handling there are cheap 4" coil woofers on eBay that will fit the bill. AQ doesn't supply more than four or five T/S parameters so you can't effectively model their subwoofers [probably on purpose]. They use very tight suspensions, have high Fs's, steep roll off's, high Qts, etc, but with the complete lack of a full T/S list they make it very difficult to pin their woofers against the competition. Apparently you have to just go by what they claim without any actual data. Why not post the data? Are they afraid of the results?

    We publish all of our T/S's. Where is AQ's full T/S list?



    Electrodynamic
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero."
    Owner Stereo Integrity
    Co-owner Obsidian Car Audio
    Associate Sundown Audio
    Simon Eichenberger is my hero
    Power handling is not a power requirement! Don't install suckage!

  14. #14
    jam3so3's Avatar
    jam3so3 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Quote Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
    And you will receive less bottom end with the AQ's vs. the OA's...much less actually. The Q alignemnt has to be through the roof yielding a very big spike in response followed by a steep roll off below the F3 of the system. Sure the larger 3" coil can handle more power. If all that you are after is power handling there are cheap 4" coil woofers on eBay that will fit the bill. AQ doesn't supply more than four or five T/S parameters so you can't effectively model their subwoofers [probably on purpose]. They use very tight suspensions, have high Fs's, steep roll off's, high Qts, etc, but with the complete lack of a full T/S list they make it very difficult to pin their woofers against the competition. Apparently you have to just go by what they claim without any actual data. Why not post the data? Are they afraid of the results?

    We publish all of our T/S's. Where is AQ's full T/S list?
    Yea, when a company doesn't post all their specs it makes me wonder. I know this is off topic, but do you have any idea when you are going to release the obsidian amps, and what size amps will be coming out? I've just been curious becuse it's said no eta on the amps for quite a while and I will end up getting a bigger amp soon and I think obsidian would probably be a solid choice, thank you.




  15. #15
    jam3so3's Avatar
    jam3so3 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: 4 re srx 15's or 2 OA 18's

    Hey, instead of starting a new thread I figured I would just ask the quick question here. I am ordering 4 obsidian 15's soon and I am not 100% sure which ones I need to get a 2 ohm load. I am pretty sure I need to get the d4's but I'm not 100% sure. I will be powering then with 2 apcl15001d's strapped togeather and need to get a load of 2 ohms in order to get the claimed 3krms out of the amps. Also a link or a pic of a wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.




+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTB-2 15"s or 1 18", RE, DD, etc.
    By sikotik in forum Wanting to Buy (WTB) - Car Audio
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 01:33 PM
  2. 3 15"'s or 2 18"'s?????
    By Rasheedhos in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 05:14 PM
  3. 2 15's or 1 18?
    By KingJay in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 10:04 PM
  4. RE SE 15's or IA LI 12's??
    By Untouchable11 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 08:51 PM

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum