+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: What kind of SPL should i expect from two FI IB3 18" woofers in an infinite baffle.

macantley is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What kind of SPL should i expect from two FI IB3 18" woofers in an infinite baffle.

im trying to find a mix of SPL/SQ right now i have three 12" american bass subs running in my trunk rear firing in a sealed box (old school VFL subs that require 1CF per sub sealed) im seriously considering switching to two 18" subwoofers firing forward, the car is a 04 infiniti G35 sedan, the subs would be driven off an old school american bass xd-1800 amp which should supply plenty of power for two infinite baffle subs.

Currently im guestimating im about 140 on SPL, i know thats nothing amazing, but the sound quality is decent, Im looking for alittle more without sacrificing the quality aspect of the sound.

anyone have any clues what two of these 18's could do?

matthew

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: What kind of SPL should i expect from two FI IB3 18" woofers in an infinite baff

Most cars that would be good for mid 140s. It' won't.sound as peaky in the 40 and 50hz area a.what you have now, but you'll have a lot more down low, which is why. It sounds like a good switch to me. Make sure you brace your area real well, thick baffle and seal so the front and rear sub waves stay apart.

Also how much are the IBs?

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

macantley is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What kind of SPL should i expect from two FI IB3 18" woofers in an infinite baff

after shipping they run about $600 for the pair, and they have some absolutely fantastic reviews, my american bass subs are great subs, but i want alittle more and i think the cone area of the 18 can give me that as well as the ease of driving them infinite baffle, im also told that infinite baffle has great sound quality aspects, it will be fairly easy to seal off the cabin/trunk area, im also thinking of getting a good midbass 8" woofer for the factory 8" hole in the rear deck and try to let it play my 80-120HZ range seeing as an 18 wont play that well in that range., i might be able to make a baffle and use a 10" midbass, but im going to also attempt to redo my doors to hold either two 6.5" woofers or one single 8" woofer for mid's up front and build custom A pillars for a 3" driver and 1" tweeter.

right now i have alot of plans and not enough $$$

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Is that trunk really big enough to be consider IB for 2 18's?

5. Likes DoesDad liked this post
    DoesDad is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Is that trunk really big enough to be consider IB for 2 18's?
    Exactky what I was thinking. G35's aren't big cars.

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

That 8" woofer is gonna turn into a PR with two 18's IB.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

brian84corvette is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    That 8" woofer is gonna turn into a PR with two 18's IB.
    this is true unless you fabricate a custom sealed inclusure for it on the rear deck back there. ( im doing the same thing )
    my last car had a pair of 6x9 and a rex8 all free air in the rear deck and the 8" sub would distort the 6x9 to ugly mechanical noises due to shared air space
    i should of built the 6x9 a fiberglass enclusure pair back there to stop that... but i was lazy and diddnt want to fiberglass upside down in the trunk at the bottom of the rear deck in a trunk full of hydraulics and batterys for the suspension

brians ghetto burb of amazing and cheap and loud build log
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/604559-get-loud-cheap-ghetto-blaster-burb.html

+ Reply to Thread