+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Please explain required cubic feet of sealed enclosure!

Propel152 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Please explain required cubic feet of sealed enclosure!

Ok, so I have limited space for subs in crew cab truck. Only option I have is downfire box under rear seat. I have a set of kicker CVX 10's. Why does kicker require so much more sealed cubic feet volume than Alpine or JL audio?? JL and Alpine suggest around .66 cubic feet of sealed volume per sub and kicker requires .8-3.0 cubic feet of sealed volume. Why is this?

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Please explain required cubic feet of sealed enclosure!

Quote Originally Posted by Propel152 View Post
    Ok, so I have limited space for subs in crew cab truck. Only option I have is downfire box under rear seat. I have a set of kicker CVX 10's. Why does kicker require so much more sealed cubic feet volume than Alpine or JL audio?? JL and Alpine suggest around .66 cubic feet of sealed volume per sub and kicker requires .8-3.0 cubic feet of sealed volume. Why is this?
    The very same reason some subs work better in large ported enclosures than small sealed enclosures- it's just how it works. You can make a smaller box than recommended and stuff polyfill in it if you want to

01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is more to it than that. There is a detailed explanation for the difference of required space for optimum performance. If they were the same exact mechanical structure than they would require the same habitat to perform equal. The Kicker CVX must have more movement or longer stroke? I'm not educated on this subject but I know there is a difference.

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Sealed enclosures are pretty much centered around what system Q you desire. A value of .707 usually represents the best combination of power handling and low-end extension, while anything on either side of that leans toward one or the other until the point of misalignment and bad sound due to bad behavior. There's a bit more to it, but generally the suspension is the biggest indicator of the enclosure volume needed.

Some Wiki...

Vas
    Measured in litres (L) or cubic metres, is a measure of the 'stiffness' of the suspension with the driver mounted in free air. It represents the volume of air that has the same stiffness as the driver's suspension when acted on by a piston of the same area (Sd) as the cone. Larger values mean lower stiffness, and generally require larger enclosures. Vas varies with the square of the diameter. A typical factory tolerance for Vas spec is 20–30%.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

5. Likes n8skow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

There is more to it than that. There is a detailed explanation for the difference of required space for optimum performance. If they were the same exact mechanical structure than they would require the same habitat to perform equal. The Kicker CVX must have more movement or longer stroke? I'm not educated on this subject but I know there is a difference.
    Not necessarily, it depends on the motor force, coil size/power handling, spider configuration, cone material, surround characteristics, etc. it all plays into the T/S specs of the sub. Manufacturer recommendations aren't spot on, either. In fact, most if not all pro box designers/builders don't use manufacturer specs.

You HAVE to look.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, so I appreciate the feedback!! Now that you both have brought me a up a notch in knowledge, let me ask you one more question. If I am going with a single sub set up and I can meet the minimum sealed requirement of .8 cubic feet for the kicker, should I choose the kicker CVX? I can actually get close to 1.0 cubic foot of space for the sub. Will the CVX outperform the Alpine type R or JL w3??

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    Not necessarily, it depends on the motor force, coil size/power handling, spider configuration, cone material, surround characteristics, etc. it all plays into the T/S specs of the sub. Manufacturer recommendations aren't spot on, either. In fact, most if not all pro box designers/builders don't use manufacturer specs.
    Ok, I appreciate feedback!! What would you suggest? If I am going with single sub setup and I can meet minimum sealed requirement of .8 cubic feet for Kicker, should I choose the Kicker CVX? I can actually get close to 1.0 cubic foot of space for the CVX. Would the CVX outperform a single Alpine type R or JL w3 10" ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Ok, I appreciate feedback!! What would you suggest? If I am going with single sub setup and I can meet minimum sealed requirement of .8 cubic feet for Kicker, should I choose the Kicker CVX? I can actually get close to 1.0 cubic foot of space for the CVX. Would the CVX outperform a single Alpine type R or JL w3 10" ?
    I'd do a seat lift and throw a big ol 12 under there

You HAVE to look.

blobb454 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Id do two sa-8 sundown subs. They require little space, take a nice amount of power and ******* pound when done right.

Quote Originally Posted by kpetree View Post
    I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

+ Reply to Thread