+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: $500 budget, One 15 needed

oTurtlez is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$500 budget, One 15 needed

As much as I hate to make these threads, I don't feel like I've played with all my options.

Currently I've got a DC Lv 4 15" running at about 1500W on a BRZ2100.1D. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now, and picked up a BC3500D on a whim for a steal, so now I need something to throw on it. Assuming I've got the electrical for about a 2500W load, what do you guys think I should run sub wise. My original plan was to go for a DC XL 15 for simple DC nuthug reasons, but that was my plan when I was fixed on getting a DC 2.0K. Now that I've got the nendo, I'm not afraid to mix and match. EDIT: Should also add, SQL is priority. My ideal setup is something that sounds great every time I play it but can go ape **** when I want it to.

TL;DR
    Best bang for $500 on a BC3500.

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    498 Post(s)

Re: $500 budget, One 15 needed

There's a ton of options for $500. You could do a tantric hdd. Mayhem b2 or even a custom sub by Zeus or spl Corey

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Frankenwoofers have always interested me... Hmm.

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

My vote is for the Incriminator Audio Death Penalty 15" which, right now during the Black & Blue, can be had for right around $400. Under your budget and will definitely make some impact while staying relatively true to the music. It also puts you in the budget for an Image Dynamics IDMAX, but you won't need anywhere near the power handling you have for that.

If you're interested, talk to @denim ; for order information. I would act soon as I'm not sure how much longer IA will be taking in new orders.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

5. Thanks denim thanked for this post
    Likes basswiigee, denim liked this post
    thatguy12 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

death penaltys take a beating. i play mine relatively hard. never beat on it or go full tilt. but even after three hours of straight playing my DP is cold, no smell, purfect coil.they sOund good and get loud. good deal goin for incriminator audio now.

Sold To: Goodear and ATC_DJ
    Bought From: Dtrom and f1mclarenagr

Head Unit: pioneer deh 80prs, Front stage: Hertz DSK Components, Rear: Alpine type S , Sub Stage: Tantric HD 10s, Sub Amp: AudioQue 3500.1, Highs Amp: AudioQue 120.4
    Electrical Consists of a Singer 200 amp alt, a Shuriken BT 80, two Crescendo Group 31s and lots of Execution Audio 1/0 Gauge.

blobb454 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Tough call. Especially this day and age when comparing woofers of this stature. IA makes killer quality. However, as mylows stated, a custom creation would be fun. Research your butt off.

Quote Originally Posted by kpetree View Post
    I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

My only gripe with getting a custom (or Franken-) sub is that you won't know T/S and, therefore, can't make the most optimal enclosure for it. You can get a ballpark estimate (which most are fine with, I suppose), but can't really dial it in without trial and error. If it were me, I'd stick with a manufactured sub for now and focus on the custom when you get bored down the road and just want to start playing around.

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8

9. Likes brandonkain82 liked this post
    hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Size/tuning of your box? LV5 and 6 are good platforms if you're stuck on DC. Softparts are a little suspect IMO but should hold up to 3500 if you're smart enough to turn them down when you smell coil. Otherwise I'm not impressed with anything lower than those 2 models.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Currently I've got a custom enclosure that was built for my level 4 that's 3.4 cubes after displacement of that sub tuned to 34hz. For financial reasons I'd like to run the same enclosure but not sure if I'd be able to do it due to the relatively small volume. Opinions on that situation? Don't really feel like dropping another 250 plus and waiting for a decent amount of time for another box if I could get away using the same box but just adding some bracing. There's a gentleman on here relatively close to me that's selling an M1 Lvl 5 for a **** good price that serves all power requirements but not sure if my poor single baffle box could take it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oTurtlez View Post
    Currently I've got a custom enclosure that was built for my level 4 that's 3.4 cubes after displacement of that sub tuned to 34hz. For financial reasons I'd like to run the same enclosure but not sure if I'd be able to do it due to the relatively small volume. Opinions on that situation? Don't really feel like dropping another 250 plus and waiting for a decent amount of time for another box if I could get away using the same box but just adding some bracing. There's a gentleman on here relatively close to me that's selling an M1 Lvl 5 for a **** good price that serves all power requirements but not sure if my poor single baffle box could take it.
    Most likely not just due to weight. 3.4 cubes is on the small side for what IA recommends for a 15" DP, but it should still perform pretty well. I would also take a look at the 15" Death Row which makes your enclosure fit right at the average enclosure size and tuning. Also costs less than the 15" Death Penalty and should still take 2.5k pretty admirably

Death Penalty Average: 6.5 cubes, 90 inches, 32-37 Hz
    Death Row Average: 3.25 cubes, 50 inches, 32-37 Hz

dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1

SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Or up your budget just a very small amount and get a Judge 15

Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

Find us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oTurtlez View Post
    Good luck with putting a woofer that you can abuse with 3500W in a single walled box. Also I know everyone seems to think that you can run DC 15's in like 3 cube but has anyone actually modeled or tested in larger box? You gain a good bit of output and low extension if you can get an XL for example in 4 to 5 cube.

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    My only gripe with getting a custom (or Franken-) sub is that you won't know T/S and, therefore, can't make the most optimal enclosure for it. You can get a ballpark estimate (which most are fine with, I suppose), but can't really dial it in without trial and error. If it were me, I'd stick with a manufactured sub for now and focus on the custom when you get bored down the road and just want to start playing around.
    Hispls pulls tsps on his subs. I'm sure Corey had the ability to as well. I'd be shocked if Zues didn't.

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Most likely not just due to weight. 3.4 cubes is on the small side for what IA recommends for a 15" DP
    A friend of mine has done a good bit of testing with DP 15 and BLT N2 15 in that airspace, 12" Sig is louder and sounds better than either 15 in 3.4 cube. 3.4 cube simply is NOT enough volume to really get your potential out of a 15" woofer. It's a quality item, but IMO if you only have 3.5 cube you should be thinking pair of 10's or single 12 IMO.

blobb454 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I was running an 15" DC level 5 with level 6 softparts/vc in a 3.6ish cu/ft enclosure around 34hz. I was also only running a sounstream tower amp down to 1 ohm, no big three, no additional power aiders and it was fooking good. Very satisfired with its quality. I too have always been cusrious what a DC would do in a more spacious enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by kpetree View Post
    I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast