+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Best SQL/SQ sub setup for around $200 a sub?

VWBobby is offline PG and SS nuthugger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Best SQL/SQ sub setup for around $200 a sub?

I am looking for a sub that is geared toward SQL/SQ. I've heard the Alpines in person and think they are a good mix of SQ and SPL for the price.

I have a DSC1500.1 amp.... This is going in a '65 VW Bus. I have about 3 cubes to work with. I like 12's and 15's, but I am open to suggestions. A single sub would be better for me, but can run sets of 2. I need to get my amp wired down to 1 ohm. Right now, I'm at 2 ohms and it just isn't enough output...

What would give me the most bang for the buck for SQ/SQL?

Thanks!

'65 VW Bus
    ------
    MA Hippo 122 (awaiting install),(2) Aura Sound 8's, (2) SoundStream 6.5 coax, (2) Alpine Type-S 6x9's [rear fill], MBQ DSC1500.1D, RF 501X

'02 BMW 330xi (AWD coupe)
    ------
    Harman/Kardon 12-speaker System Option + Dayton HO D4 10" and PPI Ion 650.1 in sealed box
    And many more car audio goodies in storage

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Re: Best SQL/SQ sub setup for around $200 a sub?

I have an eclipse sw8122dvc that will do good but you wont need all of that amp 1000w is all it wants itll take 1500w if your really careful

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

audio_phill is offline Walking TSP Encyclopedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

opti1232d is a speaker that excels beyond its price tag, dont let the Lanzar badge fool you, its only a badge on that driver. 2.2@28 sounds awfully nice and smooth with just enough warmth to fend off any analytical anemic-ness. handles power well too.

Bought From: Funky Waves, Realbeach, Farmacist Louisiana_CRX, Lingerfelt, ciaonzo, SPY (X2), tristanmay, bigbassjoel, Sound_Around, tristanmay

Sold To: alfabit1, Sound_Around, jonalford2087, woodels420, pangullo, chico305, ciaonzo, darkkon, faessle, UNDERGROUND_BUM, JCJR, adrian1185, fast306stang, tristanmay, biggen_bd, mwerling1212, ntfish, nate56

Traded With: HiloDB1, ciaonzo, tristanmay, Jh8909, fritosaregood, eCrack.net

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Those are both good options.. I liked to old Eclipse Ti's when they first came out... The Lanzar's do look very impressive for the price!

Anything in the $300 range that has a FS of around 21 - 25hz? I would like to hit the real low lows with authority.

'65 VW Bus
    ------
    MA Hippo 122 (awaiting install),(2) Aura Sound 8's, (2) SoundStream 6.5 coax, (2) Alpine Type-S 6x9's [rear fill], MBQ DSC1500.1D, RF 501X

------
    Harman/Kardon 12-speaker System Option + Dayton HO D4 10" and PPI Ion 650.1 in sealed box

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What about the Massive Audio Hippos, Power Acoustic MOFO, or ? Looking for 1 ohm, 1500 watt RMS power handling. Looking to pull the trigger on ordering one today.

Thanks again,
    -Bobby

'65 VW Bus
    ------

------

6. Dislikes jeffdachef disliked this post
    macsdad is online now boom-boom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

the re audio xxx's have a very low fs, but a high $$$, the re se pro d4's have an fs of about 26hrtz. some will say that even with a higher fs, in a properly built ported enclosure, you can still murder the lows. as stated on here multiple times, the enlosure can help or hurt your output. check out dayton audio ho's, dc lvl 3's, ssa gcon's.

shauncox26 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I have a ia flatlyne 15 many would argue that it is the top of the foodchain for sql. If u can find one used it would be some where near ur price range. Excellent sq with nasty low end output. Fs is 28 on all three driver sizes.

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Only asking 200 of the eclipse its a d4 with a tc9 motor fs is really low iirc 27hz it just doesnt need 1500w to sound good or get loud.

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

All good suggestions! I have always liked the '05 XXX's but they sell as soon as they pop up online...

I ended up getting the Massive Audio HIPPO 12 D2 for $254 shipped. There is a $15 off promo code floating around for onlinecarstereo.com. Cheapest price I was able to find. Hard to pass up for a sub that can handle 2000W and has a 96db sensitivity (although it could be exaggerated)...

'65 VW Bus
    ------

------

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VWBobby View Post
    All good suggestions! I have always liked the '05 XXX's but they sell as soon as they pop up online...

I ended up getting the Massive Audio HIPPO 12 D2 for $254 shipped. There is a $15 off promo code floating around for onlinecarstereo.com. Cheapest price I was able to find. Hard to pass up for a sub that can handle 2000W and has a 96db sensitivity (although it could be exaggerated)...
    Almost everyone likes to exaggerated their sensitivity. To make things worse, they don't even tell how it was measured. Is it 1watt/1meter SPL or 2.83volt/1meter? The difference could be huge. For example, if they report 2.83volt/1meter sensitivity, then that means for subwoofer wired in parallel for 1ohm that it is seeing 8watts of power at that voltage. Therefore, the sensitivity at 1watt/1meter will be close to more like 87dB 1watt/1meter (taking into account SPL goes down by 3dB every time you halve the power) which is more like what I would expect from a 12 inch subwoofer.

jeffdachef is offline I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

i'm just wondering how did power accoustic and massive end up in the SQL category??? if you wanted lows, you shoulda went with FI

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

13. Thanks Silverado SS thanked for this post
    T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

If it's a 12 in a sealed box a high sensativity is the last thing you'd want. Hoffmans iron law, you can have a small box, or low end extension or sensativity, pick any 2, you lose the third. If a sub is effecient it will roll off faster due to the lower q and will need a big box, often ported to compensate. if you want low bass from a small sealed box you want the least effecient woofer you can find. You'll get less output at higher frequencies, but more down low.

I just looked up this massive audio hippo as I've seen a few references to it. I guess while I find the name silly most must like it as this thing is all marketing. It has a 34fs (not what the OP wanted) actual sensativity is 89db/1w/1m and it only has 15mm of xmax. Far from anything special in any category. For that money there are things that will kill it used and even new I think I'd go with a SSA Gcon. The hippo is a 3inch coil, but 2000 watts RMS is a little much, I think the range is 500-2000 for a reason, without good cooling most 3inch coils dont' like much over 1500.
    Last edited by T3mpest; 11-02-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

+ Reply to Thread