+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Reload Thread: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA.
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Here was my first question asking about what subwoofer ohm to run with my Alpine M500 Mono amp and got good feedback on that info.

    LINK -2 ohm or 4 ohm Sub (both 200-400 RMS) With This Amp (2ohm=500 and 4ohm=300 RMS)???

    I have done a good amount of looking and think I have decided on the MTX FPR Shallow Mount sub ... I am staying in a price range and can't do the awesome JL Audio / Alpine Type-R shallow subs unfortunately ... gotta stay in the 100-150 range (plus I don't need major competition stuff, just looking to add some very nice clean bass to my current stock system at this time).
    Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 are not in the running as that was my first set-up in a pre-loaded box from RF and it sounded horrible (and that was matched with the amp made for that sub from RF ... no go on that, RF seems to not be what they used to)

    What do you think about the below choices???

    My main choice at this type is the MTX-FPR12 Shallow Mount 12" Subwoofer $137.50........
    LINK -MTX FPR12-02 12" Single 2 Ohm Flat Piston Round Series Car Subwoofer

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???-41tk14sftzl._sy300_.jpg

    I have also thought about these other options as well but I think the MTX may be better:

    Kicker CompVT (10cvt122) 12'" Subwoofer $104.95 .....
    LINK -Kicker 10CVT122 (10CVT12-2) 12" Shallow-Mount CompVT Subwoofer

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???-10cvtfront.jpg

    Pioneer TS-SW3001S2 12" Subwoofer $109.95........
    LINK -Pioneer TS-SW3001S2 (TSSW3001S2) 12" Shallow Mount Subwoofer

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???-ts-sw2501s4%40081125%40l.jpg

    __________________________________________________ ___________

    Another option but seems on the cheap side and has a low RMS rating (300 vs. 400 on the others) I'm sure the options above are better but who knows.

    MB Quart Reference RLP-304 $84.95
    LINK -MQ Quart RLP-304 (RLP304) 12" Dual 4 ohm Low Profile Reference Sub

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???-41wag0acikl._sy300_.jpg

    __________________________________________________ ___

    FYI, I am running them in a sealed box with just about the correct Cu. Ft. the sub calls for (I will also be adding some polyfill in the box as well). Also wiring is perfect using my 4awg to distribution block and 8awg out to amp for power and ground.

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???-%24-kgrhqr-lgfjbwodqhibss-j-rteq%7E%7E60_3.jpg

    And I will be running it along side an Alpine MRV-M500 Mono Amp. This amp is rated at 500 watt RMS @2 ohms and 300 watt RMS @4 ohms.
    LINK - Alpine MRV-M500 Mono subwoofer amplifier 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???-x500mrvm500-o.jpeg







  2. #2
    winkychevelle's Avatar
    winkychevelle is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ponchatoula, La
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Powerbass makes an s12d shallow that pretty good and the rockford prime shallows sound better than the p3s imho

    I dont know the depth u need but the sundown sd2 is pretty shallow

    jl also makes a tw3 which is cheaper than the tw5 but not quite in your price range

    the ultimate shallow would be the stereo integrity bm mkiii or the bm mkiv when the latter is released

    the diamond audio shallow sounds great but does get real loud.

    The mtx fpr isnt bad really I just dont like mtx



    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

  3. #3
    jeffdachef's Avatar
    jeffdachef is offline I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    instead of a sealed box why not make a custom fit ported box?



    Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.

    Subs : SSA Zcon 12 in a 3.25 cube tuned to 33
    Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D
    Mids/Highs: PPI ION 520.4 - bought from trumpet
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front stage: Phd FB 6.1 6.5 mids with jbl ms-62c tweets and crossovers on 130 rms each.
    singler 180 amp alt with kinetik hc1800 under the hood and 2 hc 2400 in the trunk.

  4. #4
    falconman515's Avatar
    falconman515 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA.
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Already ordered the Sealed box and I couldn't find much for a ported box for my GM truck behind my crew cab back seat. Most custom boxes we're sealed with the same Cu. Ft. space but we're downfireing and about 5 times the price I got this one for.

    I'm sure I could have got something made or found a custom box for a few hundred bucks but this is a budget system ... just need some nice extra bass but would like the best value for my money you know.




  5. #5
    falconman515's Avatar
    falconman515 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA.
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    Powerbass makes an s12d shallow that pretty good and the rockford prime shallows sound better than the p3s imho

    I dont know the depth u need but the sundown sd2 is pretty shallow

    jl also makes a tw3 which is cheaper than the tw5 but not quite in your price range

    the ultimate shallow would be the stereo integrity bm mkiii or the bm mkiv when the latter is released

    the diamond audio shallow sounds great but does get real loud.

    The mtx fpr isnt bad really I just dont like mtx
    Searched the Power Bass Subs and came up with this one .... PowerBass Autosound S-124x / S-124Dx Subwoofer | PowerBass USA

    The depth is only 5.5" and I can go up to 7.5" in my box I purchased.

    I can get this sub for $55.00 online ... now That's Value !!!

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???-s_124x.jpg

    RMS is 300 on this one though (this is a dual VC 4 ohm so it would be running in 2-ohm with a 500W RMS load ... to much I think) .... they also have a Single 4 ohm option .... my Alpine amp is 300 watt RMS at 4-ohms .... maybe it would be better to get the 4-ohm Single VC as that would fit Perfectly with my amp!

    Only thing is though these subs call for a minimum and maximum box of 1.5 cu. ft ......... my box is only 0.9 ..... I think these subs need more room to perform!

    It's not gonna work I don't think since it kinda needs more room.




  6. #6
    UsAmpsFreak's Avatar
    UsAmpsFreak is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    Here was my first question asking about what subwoofer ohm to run with my Alpine M500 Mono amp and got good feedback on that info.

    LINK -2 ohm or 4 ohm Sub (both 200-400 RMS) With This Amp (2ohm=500 and 4ohm=300 RMS)???

    I have done a good amount of looking and think I have decided on the MTX FPR Shallow Mount sub ... I am staying in a price range and can't do the awesome JL Audio / Alpine Type-R shallow subs unfortunately ... gotta stay in the 100-150 range (plus I don't need major competition stuff, just looking to add some very nice clean bass to my current stock system at this time).
    Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 are not in the running as that was my first set-up in a pre-loaded box from RF and it sounded horrible (and that was matched with the amp made for that sub from RF ... no go on that, RF seems to not be what they used to)

    What do you think about the below choices???

    My main choice at this type is the MTX-FPR12 Shallow Mount 12" Subwoofer $137.50........
    LINK -MTX FPR12-02 12" Single 2 Ohm Flat Piston Round Series Car Subwoofer

    Attachment 26545321

    I have also thought about these other options as well but I think the MTX may be better:

    Kicker CompVT (10cvt122) 12'" Subwoofer $104.95 .....
    LINK -Kicker 10CVT122 (10CVT12-2) 12" Shallow-Mount CompVT Subwoofer

    Attachment 26545327

    Pioneer TS-SW3001S2 12" Subwoofer $109.95........
    LINK -Pioneer TS-SW3001S2 (TSSW3001S2) 12" Shallow Mount Subwoofer

    Attachment 26545323

    __________________________________________________ ___________

    Another option but seems on the cheap side and has a low RMS rating (300 vs. 400 on the others) I'm sure the options above are better but who knows.

    MB Quart Reference RLP-304 $84.95
    LINK -MQ Quart RLP-304 (RLP304) 12" Dual 4 ohm Low Profile Reference Sub

    Attachment 26545324

    __________________________________________________ ___

    FYI, I am running them in a sealed box with just about the correct Cu. Ft. the sub calls for (I will also be adding some polyfill in the box as well). Also wiring is perfect using my 4awg to distribution block and 8awg out to amp for power and ground.

    Attachment 26545325

    And I will be running it along side an Alpine MRV-M500 Mono Amp. This amp is rated at 500 watt RMS @2 ohms and 300 watt RMS @4 ohms.
    LINK - Alpine MRV-M500 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

    Attachment 26545326

    Hey there, i have some experience with the shallow mount kenwood woofers and they are very nice.




  7. #7
    DARKHART's Avatar
    DARKHART is offline One Hitter Quitter



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    Posts
    2,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Believe it or not but the Soundstream Stealth 13 performs VERY well and you don't need any more than the 200wrms that they are rated at. We've installed a ton of these, in fact they are our go-to shallow sub and then the more expensive Rockford P3S series which also handles double the power also. The stealths are also pretty musical........



    Just when they though it couldn't get any worse, in came the Lord of Kaos, the Darkhart has arisen from his century long slumber..
    ____________
    refs:
    Type-S Texan ............Xtremebass5
    NE14MX ........Grinder1989
    NJack2AF
    .............Jameseypoo
    Randyrsx ..........Bagdntagd
    M3Transporter......Teggybwoy
    RJ Sclafani...........Zeuslicious
    Saltyreefguy........Qkassidyw
    Qtrhorse..............Nismos14
    Pistonsfan70........4nine
    SlainNothing.........Orangelss
    M3@Apex............Louisiana_CRX
    SW9152..............DukeNut

  8. #8
    mclerico83's Avatar
    mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    tampa
    Posts
    6,665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Why not get a Sundown sd12 or c2 stage 2. Went are you going shallow with a mounting depth of 7.5




  9. #9
    mclerico83's Avatar
    mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    tampa
    Posts
    6,665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    SSA Shop - Sundown Audio E8 sub woofer
    would be perfect and what i would get new e series like 1cube sealed

    http://sundownaudio.com/index.php/pr...v2-series.html
    more specs




  10. #10
    winkychevelle's Avatar
    winkychevelle is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ponchatoula, La
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Yea with an avaliable depth of 7.5 I dont see the need for a shallow mount sub. And most twelves want a touch bigger box than that bit throw a little poly fill in the box and you should be set.

    look into the sundown e12 get a d4 and wire to 2ohm it can handle the 500w fine

    same thing with the ssa dcon though they like ported more.

    the image dynamics id12 is in the same boat

    as is the arc audio arc line

    power bass makes great subs for the money

    with only 500w I would try and get the L12d rather than the S12d
    they do make a shallow mount too



    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

  11. #11
    mclerico83's Avatar
    mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    tampa
    Posts
    6,665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    Yea with an avaliable depth of 7.5 I dont see the need for a shallow mount sub. And most twelves want a touch bigger box than that bit throw a little poly fill in the box and you should be set.

    look into the sundown e12 get a d4 and wire to 2ohm it can handle the 500w fine

    same thing with the ssa dcon though they like ported more.

    the image dynamics id12 is in the same boat

    as is the arc audio arc line

    power bass makes great subs for the money

    with only 500w I would try and get the L12d rather than the S12d
    they do make a shallow mount too
    the new sundown ev series are rated at 500rms 110 shipped new




  12. #12
    falconman515's Avatar
    falconman515 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA.
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Are these Sundowns like the go to sub here ... that's all that's recommended but is just to big looks like ... (no thoughts on the ones I posted and have asked about???)

    These Sundowns are just way to big for my box ... it's a shallow truck box .... the magnets on these things are half the depth of the box itself.

    Are the MTX and what not that in my OP not good? No one has said anything about the ones I have listed.

    Also I know some regular subs (non shallow mount) could fit this box but there is only 0.9 cu. ft. of space and with a massive backside and magnet it will take up WAY to much space in the box and not sound good at all I wouldn't think ... plus the magnet would just sit right on the wood on the back side of the box .... I doubt that's good for the sub either.

    I would think a massive sub in a tiny shallow mount box is not the right combo .... the boxes dimensions are 20"W x 15"T x Bottom Depth 7.5" / Top Depth 5"

    Very tiny box ... not good for a full size sub.

    Here is the details from the website ............

    Enclosure Measurements:

    Type of Enclosure: Sealed Truck/Shallow
    Enclosure Sub Size: Single 12" Shallow
    Dimensions in Inches: 20" (L) x 7.5" (Bottom Depth) x 5" (Top Depth) x 15"
    Top and Bottom Depth: 15"
    Mounting Depth: up to 7.5" (enough depth for any shallow sub on the market)
    Gross Volume Per Sub (Measurement for the outer dimensions of the box): 1.1 Cubic Feet
    Net Volume Per Sub (Measurement for the outer dimensions of the box less the thickness of the wood): 0.9 Cubic Feet




  13. #13
    murph's Avatar
    murph is online now Low for Life



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    Posts
    3,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    Are these Sundowns like the go to sub here ... that's all that's recommended but is just to big looks like ... (no thoughts on the ones I posted and have asked about???)

    These Sundowns are just way to big for my box ... it's a shallow truck box .... the magnets on these things are half the depth of the box itself.

    Are the MTX and what not that in my OP not good? No one has said anything about the ones I have listed.

    Also I know some regular subs (non shallow mount) could fit this box but there is only 0.9 cu. ft. of space and with a massive backside and magnet it will take up WAY to much space in the box and not sound good at all I wouldn't think ... plus the magnet would just sit right on the wood on the back side of the box .... I doubt that's good for the sub either.

    I would think a massive sub in a tiny shallow mount box is not the right combo .... the boxes dimensions are 20"W x 15"T x Bottom Depth 7.5" / Top Depth 5"

    Very tiny box ... not good for a full size sub.

    Here is the details from the website ............

    Enclosure Measurements:

    Type of Enclosure: Sealed Truck/Shallow
    Enclosure Sub Size: Single 12" Shallow
    Dimensions in Inches: 20" (L) x 7.5" (Bottom Depth) x 5" (Top Depth) x 15"
    Top and Bottom Depth: 15"
    Mounting Depth: up to 7.5" (enough depth for any shallow sub on the market)
    Gross Volume Per Sub (Measurement for the outer dimensions of the box): 1.1 Cubic Feet
    Net Volume Per Sub (Measurement for the outer dimensions of the box less the thickness of the wood): 0.9 Cubic Feet
    Problem solved Dayton Audio RSS315HO-44 12" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer 295-467



    Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Eclipse Xa5000
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

  14. #14
    falconman515's Avatar
    falconman515 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA.
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Power Bass makes a thin sub looks like .... they got a single VC 300W RMS sub available that would run perfectly with my Alpine as it is 300 RMS on a 4-ohm load. Or they have a Dual VC 4-ohm that will run at 2-ohm (I am correct that sub with a DVC is in turn a 2-ohm load with a single sub right) but max RMS on that is also 300w and my Alpine is 500 RMS .... Guess I can still do the Gain thing and get it set down so it powers fine .... if this sub is an option which of the two should I go with?

    PowerBass S-12TD (S12TD) 12" Dual 4 ohm Thin-Mount Subwoofer

    I can pick one of these up for $70 !!!!! .... Now that is a Steal if these Power Bass subs are good.

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???-s-12t-2.jpg




  15. #15
    falconman515's Avatar
    falconman515 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA.
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???

    Quote Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
    Searched the Power Bass Subs and came up with this one .... PowerBass Autosound S-124x / S-124Dx Subwoofer | PowerBass USA

    The depth is only 5.5" and I can go up to 7.5" in my box I purchased.

    I can get this sub for $55.00 online ... now That's Value !!!

    Attachment 26545328

    RMS is 300 on this one though (this is a dual VC 4 ohm so it would be running in 2-ohm with a 500W RMS load ... to much I think) .... they also have a Single 4 ohm option .... my Alpine amp is 300 watt RMS at 4-ohms .... maybe it would be better to get the 4-ohm Single VC as that would fit Perfectly with my amp!

    Only thing is though these subs call for a minimum and maximum box of 1.5 cu. ft ......... my box is only 0.9 ..... I think these subs need more room to perform!

    It's not gonna work I don't think since it kinda needs more room.
    Actually still like this option .... one question though .... I found it says it needs a 1.25 cu. ft. box .... mine is only 0.9 ..... is this still okay? Does some polyfill help with this as well???

    I can get this sub for $55 !!!!!!! ..... if it performs well, is ok to fit in a smaller box then it should be good.

    If I give this a try should I get the DVC 4-ohm or the SVC 4-ohm version? (they are both 300 RMS so the SVC would match perfect with my Alpines 300 RMS @4-ohms)

    What is the best value 12" "Shallow Mount" subwoofer available???-s_124x.jpg




+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What is the best 300W 12" sub I can buy
    By Crazed in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 03:42 AM
  2. What is the Best 12 in sub
    By LBX2G in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-20-2003, 11:11 PM
  3. What is the best amp for 2 sony 12's?
    By fasscort in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 07:45 AM
  4. What is the best 12" Sub?
    By del in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2002, 09:44 PM
  5. What is the best enclosure for 3 12's??
    By Trixter in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2002, 05:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum