+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Reload Thread: Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

  1. #1
    Bacon SLI's Avatar
    Bacon SLI is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

    Long story short I got a free Kicker L3 12' 4 ohm DVC sub, and a Lanzar HTG257 amplifier. I've compared multiple sites (the12volt,crutchfield,Bcea1,sonicelectronix, etc) and all give me different ways to wire this thing in lol. Should I wire it in parallel, series..what is the most healthy option for the sub/amp?

    Thank guys!







  2. #2
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is online now AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon SLI View Post
    Long story short I got a free Kicker L3 12' 4 ohm DVC sub, and a Lanzar HTG257 amplifier. I've compared multiple sites (the12volt,crutchfield,Bcea1,sonicelectronix, etc) and all give me different ways to wire this thing in lol. Should I wire it in parallel, series..what is the most healthy option for the sub/amp?

    Thank guys!
    Check the amp ratings to make sure you have an amp that's stable at 2 ohms bridged. If so, you will connect the + lead of one channel to the - lead of the other channel to consider it "bridged"



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  3. #3
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

    I've never heard of a modern amp not being 2 ohm stable. Wire the VC's in parallel for a 2 ohm load. What is the power output of that amp at 2 ohms?



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  4. #4
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is online now AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    I've never heard of a modern amp not being 2 ohm stable. Wire the VC's in parallel for a 2 ohm load. What is the power output of that amp at 2 ohms?
    It's advice like this that causes people to break their amps. Not every 2-channel amp is stable at 2ohms bridged. My Rockford P8004, for example. Now my Boston GT-2125? That is, but it took time and research to find models that could stay daily at 2 ohms and remain stable.

    OP, find out your amp's ratings. You may not be able to do what you want at 2 ohms and have to wire your sub to 8 and run it bridged or just run off one of the two channels at 2 ohms. You're better off trying to unload your two-channel in favor of a monoblock that will offer more wiring options.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  5. #5
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    It's advice like this that causes people to break their amps. Not every 2-channel amp is stable at 2ohms bridged. My Rockford P8004, for example. Now my Boston GT-2125? That is, but it took time and research to find models that could stay daily at 2 ohms and remain stable.

    OP, find out your amp's ratings. You may not be able to do what you want at 2 ohms and have to wire your sub to 8 and run it bridged or just run off one of the two channels at 2 ohms. You're better off trying to unload your two-channel in favor of a monoblock that will offer more wiring options.
    I didn't realize it wasn't a mono amp, rarely would someone run a sub off a 2 channel amp. I guess he is using kicker, though



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  6. #6
    neo_styles's Avatar
    neo_styles is online now AKA Pop Twidget



    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnhsnbrg View Post
    I didn't realize it wasn't a mono amp, rarely would someone run a sub off a 2 channel amp. I guess he is using kicker, though
    I have. You actually find some really efficient monster two-channel amps if you're willing to play some trial and error. If I had passed on the GT2125 because of its 600W RMS rating at 2ohms, I never would have clamped the sucker and found out it can actually do 1300W at that impedance before reaching 1% distortion.



    Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

  7. #7
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    I have. You actually find some really efficient monster two-channel amps if you're willing to play some trial and error. If I had passed on the GT2125 because of its 600W RMS rating at 2ohms, I never would have clamped the sucker and found out it can actually do 1300W at that impedance before reaching 1% distortion.
    Holy waaa, no kidding... As for OP I'd drop the 2 channel amp and get a good monoblock. Easier to work with and more wiring options.



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

  8. #8
    Bacon SLI's Avatar
    Bacon SLI is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

    Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    It's advice like this that causes people to break their amps. Not every 2-channel amp is stable at 2ohms bridged. My Rockford P8004, for example. Now my Boston GT-2125? That is, but it took time and research to find models that could stay daily at 2 ohms and remain stable.

    OP, find out your amp's ratings. You may not be able to do what you want at 2 ohms and have to wire your sub to 8 and run it bridged or just run off one of the two channels at 2 ohms. You're better off trying to unload your two-channel in favor of a monoblock that will offer more wiring options.
    4 ohms: 500 watts x 2 chan.
    2 ohms: 650 watts x 2 chan.
    Bridged, 4 ohms: 2000 max watts x 1 chan.

    I guess I could wire the coils in parallel (4ohms) then just run it off 1 channel(2ohm load).

    I would get a mono, but for the same price I could buy another sub, and even out the load.
    http://www.the12volt.com/12voltimage...m_dvc_4ohm.gif

    And yes lolkicker, but I got this sub basically free, and my old fusions are reaaaaaallly showing their age hahahaha.




  9. #9
    jrdnhsnbrg's Avatar
    jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Menomonie, WI
    Age
    19
    Posts
    1,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Best way to wire single 4 OHM DVC sub to a 2 channel amp?

    If you sell the amp though that would indirectly reduce the price of the new amp though. Your choice, whatever floats your goat



    01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

    XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

    References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

    If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. What is correct way to wire Alpine Type R sub to 2 ohms? Pics attached
    By Shawn1112 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
  2. Wiring two 2-ohm DVC subs to mono amp?
    By mxracer41 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 01:59 AM
  3. How to wire this 4ohm dvc sub to a 08zx750.1 kicker mono amp?
    By ExplicitUrSelf in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM
  4. Wiring 3 4ohm DVC subs to 1 ohm
    By RcRacerDrew in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2002, 03:47 PM
  5. How to wire 2 4Ohm DVC subs to JBL 600.1 for 2ohm load
    By thewoahna in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2002, 09:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum