+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: Subs Suddenly Not Hitting as Hard PLEASE HELP

SrN95 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Subs Suddenly Not Hitting as Hard PLEASE HELP

Alright, so to start I've got 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Subs being powered by an 1100 watt Quantum QXA1100m installed in my 2012 Honda Civic. Recently I've been experiencing a BIG problem with them and the speakers in general.

The Problem: It's as if all the volume in my car has been cut in half. I used to turn it up to 20 and it would hit very hard and the speakers were fairly loud, now it's like I only have it turned up to 10 or 20. I'm using the stock headunit and have a hi-low adapter on the speakers. Bottom line is that the subs aren't hitting near as hard as they were just days before and its not like they just blew out in the middle of a song, I went out and started my car and had very weak bass.

What I've Tried: I have checked the ground, which is solid and down on bare metal. I have made sure that all wires a secured on the amp in the correct location. I've checked RCA cables as well. Checked all fuses.

Temporary Success: I was able to get the subs and volume back to how they used to be, but it eventually slipped back into being very weak. All I did to fix the problem was move the RCA cables from the bottom two inputs on the amp to the top two, but it didn't fix the problem long, as it is back to being messed up

Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this to happen? One second the bass was fine the next its very weak. I've had the system for almost a year now and it's worked flawlessly up until now, any reply is much appreciated.

Atimm693 is offline Shadetree Mechanic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Subs Suddenly Not Hitting as Hard PLEASE HELP

Quote Originally Posted by SrN95 View Post
    Alright, so to start I've got 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Subs being powered by an 1100 watt Quantum QXA1100m installed in my 2012 Honda Civic. Recently I've been experiencing a BIG problem with them and the speakers in general.

The Problem: It's as if all the volume in my car has been cut in half. I used to turn it up to 20 and it would hit very hard and the speakers were fairly loud, now it's like I only have it turned up to 10 or 20. I'm using the stock headunit and have a hi-low adapter on the speakers. Bottom line is that the subs aren't hitting near as hard as they were just days before and its not like they just blew out in the middle of a song, I went out and started my car and had very weak bass.

What I've Tried: I have checked the ground, which is solid and down on bare metal. I have made sure that all wires a secured on the amp in the correct location. I've checked RCA cables as well. Checked all fuses.

Temporary Success: I was able to get the subs and volume back to how they used to be, but it eventually slipped back into being very weak. All I did to fix the problem was move the RCA cables from the bottom two inputs on the amp to the top two, but it didn't fix the problem long, as it is back to being messed up

Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this to happen? One second the bass was fine the next its very weak. I've had the system for almost a year now and it's worked flawlessly up until now, any reply is much appreciated.
    You may have a bad RCA cable that is only working half the time. Play some music, unplug them one at a time while it is playing. If the sound does not change when one is unplugged one of them isn't working. Sometimes bass is mono and this won't apply.. I prefer to run my sub amp off front or rear signal on the HU and let the amp do the filtering, instead of the sub.

I noticed you said your amp has two sets of inputs, I'm assuming front and rear if it's a 4 channel amp. Some amps need a signal on front and rear to make full power... Others have a setting for just front input or both. Check it out and see what you find. If it's only a two channel make sure they are both in the input and not output.

1994 Toyota Camry
    Pioneer DEHP6400BT
    Rockford Fosgate 1050S
    12" DD 3512C
    2.5 cuft, 35hz
    1050wrms@4ohms

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I check the RCA cable like you said, unplugging one at a time, and the sound DID change, I even tried switching up the inputs I used and this did not help, I'm really at a loss for what the problem could be...

Side Show is offline Bringin The Noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

check the amp settings havn't rattled free/loose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Are you using a bass knob?

Silverado SS is offline Shake Pound and Rattle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Did you check if sub wire is loose in the box?

[FONT="Georgia"][CENTER]Silverado SS on 24's
    2 Fi SP4s Fully Loaded
    8 cubic foot after disp. 30Hz
    PowerBass 5000XTA and PPI 900.4
    Clarion CZ 702 for now
    4 Exodus Anarchys, looking for tweets
    Singer 275A Alternator, Big 3
    140 A/H and Shuriken BT-45

SPLaudio is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)

sounds like you found the problem with the rca's, swap them out.

also check the imp of the coils on ur subs...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright thanks for the help everyone! I swapped out the RCA cables and BOOM it was working again, but just out of curiosity I plugged the old ones in the see the difference using the same song at the same volume and they were working again...is it possible for RCA cables to be so temperamental? Working one second and broke then next? Regardless I'm going to be using the other RCA cables for now since I know they will work, but is there any causes to have RCA cables fail that I don't know of? I've never had RCA cables go bad on me before, any causes I need to look out for in the future?

Thanks everyone for the help! Hopefully this solution will fix the problem permanently!

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SrN95 View Post
    Alright thanks for the help everyone! I swapped out the RCA cables and BOOM it was working again, but just out of curiosity I plugged the old ones in the see the difference using the same song at the same volume and they were working again...is it possible for RCA cables to be so temperamental? Working one second and broke then next? Regardless I'm going to be using the other RCA cables for now since I know they will work, but is there any causes to have RCA cables fail that I don't know of? I've never had RCA cables go bad on me before, any causes I need to look out for in the future?

Thanks everyone for the help! Hopefully this solution will fix the problem permanently!
    Yes, just like any cable if there is a break in the line they can touch again and work but as soon as it is moved just a fraction of an inch it will cut out again. I currently have a similar problem with my xbox microphone cord

01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

10. Likes Ahmed Johnson liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright so after replacing the RCA cables and having it work for a few days, the problem has again risen...The last thing I could thing of would be that the factory amp has gone bad, that would affect both the speakers and sub since the sub rca cables are just spliced into the speakers using a hi-low converter correct?
    Is it at all possible that the factory amp would be the culprit? Thanks for the help guys

jrdnhsnbrg is offline Pimped my grandma's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes, that's probably it. It's generally frowned upon to use high-low converters because of situations like this, I'd run RCAs from up front if you can. Maybe time to do a complete overhaul of the sound system, new speakers, HU, amp for speakers, etc.?

01 Lincoln Continental - Mary

XFL 12" on a VFL150.1, 4.5 cubes net @27Hz
    Powerware 150ah monster, SHCA 1/0 & 8ga
    Pioneer D Series 6.5" and 6x8" on a VFL150.4

References: mylows10, 2000LaDe , VWGolfMKVI, Garcia915, UnderFire, joeybutts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    You HAVE to look.

If after 5 wipes you're still getting mega shit on the paper, it's shower time.

+ Reply to Thread