Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

10" vs 12" sub

Ok I am a newbie, well not really but its been to long. I am building a Sub/amp package for my daughters car. First the parameters. The car needs a complete upgrade of the entire sound system so money on this is a big issue. We are starting with a basic system that will sound good and if she desires allows for upgrades over time. Space is also an issue. One major design consideration is that she/I want to use a 1/2" plexiglass front on the box and put purple lighting effects in the box.She listens to a wide variety of music only some of which is bass intensive. She thinks the basic stock system in my HHR with no sub and four 6.75's sounds great. So this will be an entry level system. I have in the past been a Rockford Fosgate fan.

So Here is the deal. I am looking at the Prime series subs and trying to determine between a 10" 4ohm or a 12" 4 ohm. I have an amp (4 OHM when bridged) already that puts out 140W RMS and 300 W max which is right in these subs wheelhouse. Both fit in very small sealed enclosures. I have a little room to work with but .75 ft3 fits nicely and is perfect for both subs. I think she will prefer the flatter response of a sealed box and will get enough bump to make her happy. The question is this, how much real world difference in bass and volume is there between the two especially in a sealed box? Per Fosgate, fs for the 10 is 24Hz and for the 12 is 22Hz. Spl for the 10 is 86 and for the 12 is 87. I know what each of these numbers mean on paper but not to real world sound. Being that these subs are being driven with very modest power sources it seems to me that they are near equivalent. The ten allows for a more visually appealing look providing more free space to see into the box and the purple lighting that she wants. However a 12 will work and if it is going to give me a much bigger sound then would rather go that route. But if they are near equals in the real world the 10 would be the choice.

thanks for your help.

basswiigee is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1080 Post(s)

Re: 10" vs 12" sub

With that low amount of power go 10's....

H.U. - Pioneer P7200HD
    Fronts - Pioneer premier TS-C720PRS
    Rear - Pioneer TS-D6902R
    Amp - kx2500.1
    Sub - AQ HDC4 12
    just a lil' slam for now.... tuned to 33hz!!!!!

complete budget system under 400.00... (kenwoods)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtyFmWXI94U&list=LLCQ1MqkfSOcRep6vDFWsWxg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1080 Post(s)

If you don't use that whatever kind of amp you got, go with a rockford fosgate prime r500 about a 100 bucks new, and go 12's... I like those prime amps as a budget amp, they get warm but preform very nice.... Never tried the prime subs though so i'm in the dark on that one!!!

H.U. - Pioneer P7200HD
    Rear - Pioneer TS-D6902R
    Amp - kx2500.1
    Sub - AQ HDC4 12

Loudmp5 is offline skyhigh&banginlow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

The 12s Ofcoarse are going to be louder you are doubling cone area and like you said room to upgrade idk about these specific subs power ratings and what not but you can always go louder by getting a bigger amp i would suggest looking at sundown audio e series subs or other companies you will get more output for the same price but first and foremost get a bigger amp... That's my. 02

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms,An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject,Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.,Gun control is not about guns; it's about control,You only have the rights you are willing to fight for,Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety,You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive,Assault is a behavior, not a device,64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday,All Rights Reserved,The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others,What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?,guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians

Loudmp5 is offline skyhigh&banginlow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    344 Post(s)

Oh and also you can get a nice response with a well designed ported enclosure and more output yet again

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms,An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject,Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.,Gun control is not about guns; it's about control,You only have the rights you are willing to fight for,Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety,You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive,Assault is a behavior, not a device,64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday,All Rights Reserved,The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others,What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?,guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    676 Post(s)

If you're looking for flat response across as wide a frequency range as possible, put the tens in the size box you would have put the 12s. If you daughter likes a factory sound system that's got no subs, then obviously, it's the frequency response she likes and not the bass... since there is little to none. :-)

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

7. Likes Loudmp5 liked this post
    d_sinsley is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I will clarify a bit. I have an older sony xplod amp that is 140 RMS 300 Max. The power rating of the speakers is for between 40W and 150W RMS 300 Max. I like the suggestion of the Fosgate amp upgrade. one of the prime amps does 250W@2 ohms and I could pair that with their 2ohm prime speaker rated at 250W RMS and 500W peak in the same enclosure. Speaker cost is a push and the amp is 100 bucks. This is an option and a good one. I think you all helped me decide on the 12. Was starting to lean that way anyway. The beauty of it is that both the 12's the 4 ohm and the 2 ohm take the same size sealed enclosure. Avoiding the ported box simply because of size constraints and the fact that she likes a wider range of sound instead of just thump. I realize tuned ported boxes do wonders but all things considered a decent sealed box is small, provides fuller sound, and is easy to construct, comparatively. If she decides down the road she wants something different then we can re visit it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

oh and its 10 or 12 singular not plural. Only one sub.

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    676 Post(s)

I can model a ported enclosure that will be as flat as any sealed box and will reach way further into the sub bass region than any sealed box. And slot ports are easy to build... especially if you have the skill to build a plexi covered amp rack with a light show in it. ;-)

And just as an FYI, I wouldn't bother with the "Max" or "Peak" claims on any manufacturer's product. You can burp a 1000 watt woofer with 20,000 watts and not kill it. But that doesn't mean it's a 20,000 watt max speaker. Just stick with the real world rating that is RMS... everything else is useless marketing speak.

Owner, Audio Anarchy, LLC
    2915 Youree Drive, Shreveport, LA
    318-780-6149

Authorized Dealer in NW Louisiana for CT Sounds & Execution Audio. We also carry other products but you really don't want that stuff... ;-)

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    742 Post(s)

I like the 10s in a bit bigger box like .8 to 1 cube. Just dont get the r1 get the nicer prime

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1080 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d_sinsley View Post
    i will clarify a bit. I have an older sony xplod amp that is 140 rms 300 max. The power rating of the speakers is for between 40w and 150w rms 300 max. I like the suggestion of the fosgate amp upgrade. One of the prime amps does 250w@2 ohms and i could pair that with their 2ohm prime speaker rated at 250w rms and 500w peak in the same enclosure. Speaker cost is a push and the amp is 100 bucks. This is an option and a good one. I think you all helped me decide on the 12. Was starting to lean that way anyway. The beauty of it is that both the 12's the 4 ohm and the 2 ohm take the same size sealed enclosure. Avoiding the ported box simply because of size constraints and the fact that she likes a wider range of sound instead of just thump. I realize tuned ported boxes do wonders but all things considered a decent sealed box is small, provides fuller sound, and is easy to construct, comparatively. If she decides down the road she wants something different then we can re visit it.
    that prime does rated too... Mine was 554 @ 2ohms..

H.U. - Pioneer P7200HD
    Rear - Pioneer TS-D6902R
    Amp - kx2500.1
    Sub - AQ HDC4 12

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Big thanks to Brandon aka bbeljefe at Audio Anarchy for the great design help. With his help and direction I look forward to this build. He helped me come up with a design for a 10" that will be fun for my daughter and meets all my needs. Again thanks for all the help. I'll keep you all posted on what this comes out like.

Closed Thread