+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Reload Thread: Stiff subs or unrealistic expectations?

Braindead is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stiff subs or unrealistic expectations?

Just finished my install, and I'm not sure whether to be proud or disappointed. With the gains set at half or even 3/4 and the volume at 25/30 you can only tell the subs are moving by touching them, and they don't put out much bass. Barely outdoes my factory infinity 6x9's. With the gain turned all the way up they move about an 8th of an inch, and shake my rearview somewhat well.

I grounded where the seat connects to the chassis since it was the only place i could find anywhere near my amp, im not sure if thatll be the problem or not.

Anyways, with a dmm i get 13.8 volts at the battery and amp, so voltage shouldn't be a problem. I'm reading 0.95 ohms at my terminals.

I'll go ahead and say my box is sh*t, isn't sealed that well and i made one of the cutouts too large so one sub is only supported on one side, the other side just rests on the edge. The other sub fits perfectly, I'm going to be buying a new box from a custom builder in a couple months.

So are my subs stiff, or is this just how they'll preform?

2001 Jeep GC Limited
    Kenwood KDC-BT852HD

2 American Bass XD 10's in a 2.5 cube box tuned to 35Hz
    Precision Power BK1300.1D
    Knu 4 Gauge

Bought from: 97maxima, trumpet

Silverado SS is offline Shake Pound and Rattle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: Stiff subs or unrealistic expectations?

O boy....

[FONT="Georgia"][CENTER]Silverado SS on 24's
    2 Fi SP4s Fully Loaded
    8 cubic foot after disp. 30Hz
    PowerBass 5000XTA and PPI 900.4
    Clarion CZ 702 for now
    4 Exodus Anarchys, looking for tweets
    Singer 275A Alternator, Big 3
    140 A/H and Shuriken BT-45

3. Likes Loudmp5 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado SS View Post
    O boy....
    Haha well?

2001 Jeep GC Limited
    Kenwood KDC-BT852HD

Knu 4 Gauge

dirt101 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
    Just finished my install, and I'm not sure whether to be proud or disappointed. With the gains set at half or even 3/4 and the volume at 25/30 you can only tell the subs are moving by touching them, and they don't put out much bass. Barely outdoes my factory infinity 6x9's. With the gain turned all the way up they move about an 8th of an inch, and shake my rearview somewhat well.

I grounded where the seat connects to the chassis since it was the only place i could find anywhere near my amp, im not sure if thatll be the problem or not.

Anyways, with a dmm i get 13.8 volts at the battery and amp, so voltage shouldn't be a problem. I'm reading 0.95 ohms at my terminals.

I'll go ahead and say my box is sh*t, isn't sealed that well and i made one of the cutouts too large so one sub is only supported on one side, the other side just rests on the edge. The other sub fits perfectly, I'm going to be buying a new box from a custom builder in a couple months.

So are my subs stiff, or is this just how they'll preform?

sounds to me like you know some of the problems. Other things I would check: what HU are you running, it sounds like it might not be putting out any RCA voltage. Another thing is what are all of the setting on your amp set at? sounds like your subsonic or low pass are set up wrong.

just 2 12s

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dirt101 View Post
    sounds to me like you know some of the problems. Other things I would check: what HU are you running, it sounds like it might not be putting out any RCA voltage. Another thing is what are all of the setting on your amp set at? sounds like your subsonic or low pass are set up wrong.
    Its a kenwood unit, model is in my sig. I haven't set up my filters yet, how would i do that?

2001 Jeep GC Limited
    Kenwood KDC-BT852HD

Knu 4 Gauge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Woweee. Start by getting a properly built box, maybe back your gain knob down some, it's not a volume knob you know? Atleast you know what your doin with a DMM that will take you far, I don't mean that sarcastically lol. I would just wait till you have a proper box though before you hook everything back up

8. Likes oxsign liked this post
    basswiigee is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

its your head unit rca output is only 2.5 which is low get a hu with atleast 4v outputs, and fix all the other minor problems you got and you should be fine...

H.U. - Pioneer P7200HD
    Fronts - Pioneer premier TS-C720PRS
    Rear - Pioneer TS-D6902R
    Amp - kx2500.1
    Sub - AQ HDC4 12
    just a lil' slam for now.... tuned to 33hz!!!!!

complete budget system under 400.00... (kenwoods)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtyFmWXI94U&list=LLCQ1MqkfSOcRep6vDFWsWxg

10. Likes oxsign liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 04murdalanche View Post
    Woweee. Start by getting a properly built box, maybe back your gain knob down some, it's not a volume knob you know? Atleast you know what your doin with a DMM that will take you far, I don't mean that sarcastically lol. I would just wait till you have a proper box though before you hook everything back up
    It'd be a couple months before I could get a new box. For now i'm keeping my gain knob at 3/4 until the subs loosen up, i'm just not sure how to set my crossovers on the amp. I know not to use the ones on my hu. Should i just play around with them until it sounds good?

2001 Jeep GC Limited
    Kenwood KDC-BT852HD

Knu 4 Gauge

mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
    It'd be a couple months before I could get a new box. For now i'm keeping my gain knob at 3/4 until the subs loosen up, i'm just not sure how to set my crossovers on the amp. I know not to use the ones on my hu. Should i just play around with them until it sounds good?
    look on your amp. turn your gain and "bass Boost" all the way DOWN. now look for something labled "HPF or high pass" and turn it all the way up, now find the knob labled "SSF or Subsonic" and turn it all the way down. play a song and SLOWLY turn the gain up to see if the subs move more. if they do then report back for propper crossover selection.

Matt

Star Mountain Nuthugger #5
    12" TC9 in 1.39 cubes @30hz
    Boston Acoustics GT-2300 @4 ohms bridged.

Quote Originally Posted by double 07 View Post
    Sub cutout got a little skar on it...dad blamed round over bit bearing came flying off.......LOL.......
    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    A little Skar on it? Was it a B-stock bit?
    Refs:
    bought from Nitefury360, Tallic, SPLaudio X2
    Traded with Marleyskater420

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by basswiigee View Post
    its your head unit rca output is only 2.5 which is low get a hu with atleast 4v outputs, and fix all the other minor problems you got and you should be fine...
    2.5v RCA's are not an issue here. I've never seen an amp that couldnt' run on a 2.5v RCA and get full output. RCA's are a preamp signal not an ouput signal so they won't have an effect on the final output of the system. He doesn't need to spend money on a new HU to get his speakers to move. Don't give advice if you don't know what your talking about.

Now back to the OP. On the cutout side that is too big do you have an airleak around the subwoofer. You can easily build another baffle on top of the front side to fix that without doing much more work and that might help your output by quite a bit. You want a perfect seal behind your sub.

I'd also redo that ground. Make sure it well sanded and if you can find another point I'd do that. You can always make your own if you can find bare sheet metal and drill in a screw. A bad ground could be limiting your amp, but usually it'll go into protect. Last thing I can think is check your wiring. If your accidently wired at a higher impedence that may be a problem also check your HU settings. Low pass around 80hz. Turn High pass on your subs off or at 20-25hz or so. The subwoofer output on a kenwood can be turned up without any issues, it's not a bass boost it will raise the whole bass range equally. I'd turn it up and then reset your gains.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

basswiigee is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    2.5v RCA's are not an issue here. I've never seen an amp that couldnt' run on a 2.5v RCA and get full output. RCA's are a preamp signal not an ouput signal so they won't have an effect on the final output of the system. He doesn't need to spend money on a new HU to get his speakers to move. Don't give advice if you don't know what your talking about.

Now back to the OP. On the cutout side that is too big do you have an airleak around the subwoofer. You can easily build another baffle on top of the front side to fix that without doing much more work and that might help your output by quite a bit. You want a perfect seal behind your sub.

I'd also redo that ground. Make sure it well sanded and if you can find another point I'd do that. You can always make your own if you can find bare sheet metal and drill in a screw. A bad ground could be limiting your amp, but usually it'll go into protect. Last thing I can think is check your wiring. If your accidently wired at a higher impedence that may be a problem also check your HU settings. Low pass around 80hz. Turn High pass on your subs off or at 20-25hz or so. The subwoofer output on a kenwood can be turned up without any issues, it's not a bass boost it will raise the whole bass range equally. I'd turn it up and then reset your gains.
    the only other thing from what he said would be the ground regardless if the sub had a box or was played free air it would move... seems like the amp is being limited and the hu or amps wiring is to blame... and i don't know but when i went from to 2v to 4v it made a big difference... wonder if the amp is on low pass? but what do i know.... op, sorry for the wrong advice please refer to professionals opinions....

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

the only other thing from what he said would be the ground regardless if the sub had a box or was played free air it would move... seems like the amp is being limited and the hu or amps wiring is to blame... and i don't know but when i went from to 2v to 4v it made a big difference... wonder if the amp is on low pass? but what do i know.... op, sorry for the wrong advice please refer to professionals opinions....

H.U. - Pioneer P7200HD
    Fronts - Pioneer premier TS-C720PRS
    Rear - Pioneer TS-D6902R
    Amp - kx2500.1
    Sub - AQ HDC4 12
    just a lil' slam for now.... tuned to 33hz!!!!!

complete budget system under 400.00... (kenwoods)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtyFmWXI94U&list=LLCQ1MqkfSOcRep6vDFWsWxg

bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by basswiigee View Post
    or get a 2X Line Driver, that coudl help

MY NEW RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 7.06 CUBE @ 37HZ ~ SHARK 2500(FOR NOW,2 STRAPPED LATER)@ 1OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ 4 RUNS OF 1/0(2+/2-)

WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK BATTERY ~ ONLY 6GA POWER WIRE

2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll do that once my car works... How can I tell if my amp is still drawing power when the car's off? It has constant power going to it, but i don't see why it wouldn't. I had to jump my car earlier, thought it was maybe a mishap. Now I when i try to jump it the car won't even idle, could the amp have messed up my electrical or did I fry my battery?

2001 Jeep GC Limited
    Kenwood KDC-BT852HD

Knu 4 Gauge

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i got the car running about an hour ago, but it still barely starts and wont hold idle, but i took the fuse out of the power wire and the batter went from about a 13.5v charge while running to a 12.4v charge when i checked an hour later

2001 Jeep GC Limited
    Kenwood KDC-BT852HD

Knu 4 Gauge

av83 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Disconnect everything and start over. Read in depth on how to do each step properly. Start a build log and share all of your pics on here. I guarantee it will go much better.

80prs
    RF t800.4, CDT es-6mo, DD T2
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1 strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

19. Likes TreyE liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast