Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Sundown 12's or 15's in bandpass

Okay, so I'm gonna be doing a 4th order bandpass, I was just wondering which is better 4 sa 12's or 2 sa 15's or 4 sa 15's? I know the 15's will have come area but it's gonna be daily driving not spl. And should I do a 2:1 ratio or 3:1 ratio? I know it's typically 2:1, but is it 3:1 for sundown?

Better-Action is offline give me a reach around

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)

Re: Sundown 12's or 15's in bandpass

I won't speak on the bandpass as I don't know enough about em. But as far as the subs it comes down to how much space you got. If you could get any of those 3 configurations to work with you space I'd have to go by cone area. 4 15s first, 4 12s and the 2 15s last.

Have you had a decent setup before or will this be your first? You said this was gonna be daily so I was just curious. When done right its not hard to get decently loud without going with 4 15's. You can get pretty nasty with a beefy 15 or 18 on some real power.

DiamondPoint is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

No this is gonna be first legit setup, I'm running infinity subs and a pyle amp, so that's like a baby setup. But I have a 98 ford explorer xlt so space isn't to bad, I should be able to do a 32cubic feet bandpass if I'm right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)

Had a few explorers with a handful of different setups in them. They are easy to get loud so your off to a good start.

If you wanna go big with the 4 15s then by all means go for it. I did 4 15's port and subs firing up in a 97 explorer years back and that thing was very loud for what it was. Had plenty of people get out confused when my $600 for everything setup would smash on their stuff that cost 2-3 times as much. And I'm telling ya it definitely wasn't the lanzar Maxpd15's in there doing all the work. From my experience with them id say them lanzars are pretty much a knockoff kicker cvr, comparable specs and no audible difference in performance IMO and at the 80 bucks apiece I picked them up for new, it was ridiculous how loud they were in that explorer.

My point is for a daily setup 4 sa 15s would be overkill for most people. In that explorer 1 18" or 2 15's on 1.5-3k Watts would be a very respectable daily setup. A slot or Aero ported enclosure would also be much simpler especially if your building it yourself and save you a good grip of space as well. With a slot ported box for example with a couple 15's your not giving up your rear seats. You could fit them both in the cargo area under the window line and you still end up room to spare back there. Would be an ideal situation to throw a couple batteries back there maybe. Mehhh just some thoughts.

I guess a little more info would make it easier to get some advice to get ya what your after.

Budget?
    You building this yourself?
    Do you plan to upgrade your electrical or do the best with stock electrical?
    What kind of tuning/sound you going for? I'm guessing since your going for daily mid to lower 30's may be your goal. Do you ever plan to play down into the 20's? Do you like a big output increase at tuning or you like to play flat?

So you have anything in mind yet for the amp?

Are you set on the sa's? Once you get your mind set on number of drivers, space youll give, power and what you don't mind dropping on subs something else might fit your needs better.

BIG WALL O TEXT!!! Haha probably could have shortened it up but I post from a phone so revisions are mucho effort and I'm lazy were

BTW this isnt trying to discourage you from going big. If you really wanna do them 4 12's or 4 15's in the 4th order if, its done properly either will be very nasty. I think no matter what you end up going with you'll be very pleased coming from the infinity/Pyle setup you got now.

Edit - almost forgot. In my experiences with 1st and 2nd gen explorers, you should pick up a good bit of sound deader... your gonna need it lol

Bought from Underfire, Stephens30228.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Honestly, I would love to go with 4 15's on a ns-1 but I could do a stealth bandpass box for the 12's so I can actually see out of the back window. But price isn't really a matter, and I love the sundowns. I haven't heard them in person but I heard nothing but good reviews on them. And I'm gonna be doing a electrical upgrade and running logic batteries in the rear the ones from cresecendo, and I'm gonna be running their 10's and 6.5 mids and super tweeters too. And I'm gonna be listening to around 25hz-40hz. And I'm gonna be running a computer in my car. And I kinda figure I would be needing sound deader. But thank you very much, for your help brotha . So should the 12's do okay for daily driving then? Cause in the future I wanna do the z v4 when they come out, I think ill stick the 12's.

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)

You don't need a bandpass here. If you aren't doing a wall, just go ported man.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

7. Likes Ahmed Johnson, Jeffdachef liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

So I shouldn't go bandpass? Why's that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPoint View Post
    So I shouldn't go bandpass? Why's that?
    For the application you are using it for, there isn't going to be any good benefits, in my opinion. It just overcomplicates things.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

Alright, so just a ported box than? I meant its gonna be playing 20hz to about 55hz, so a ported box should be fine than?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)

Alright, so just a ported box than? I meant its gonna be playing 20hz to about 55hz, so a ported box should be fine than?
    Yes. I'm ported doing that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)

Have you heard a setup play down to 20ish in person? Just curious. I had a setup that could play to 19-20hz pretty well, but after a little bit I turned the ssf up to 24-25ish because there's just not much that plays that low. Its cool to be able to. But unless you listen to tones or allot of slowed music nothing is gonna touch that low.

I tuned to 27hz, loads of port and a bit over Max recommended airspace all to get a good peaky response from 25-30. Thing was a beast on the lows but had a pretty sharp drop off around 50hz. Didn't mind losing that up top buzzy bass though so meh

if you need enclosure help from a pro there's a couple of them around. The poster above me be one of said guys.

Bought from Underfire, Stephens30228.

Closed Thread