Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: Not Impressed with Kicker Comp-R's.

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    832 Post(s)

Re: Not Impressed with Kicker Comp-R's.

HDC312 Copper Coil Subwoofer
    this sub will also get really loud and has free shipping sale going on. 50 pound sub here

get dual 1 ohm

dirt101 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

agreed, if you just want to get loud for less than $300 the hdc3 will get the job done. Had a 15 awhile back that was slammin on about 1700 clamped watts

just 2 12s

dirt101 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

found an old video

AQ HDC315 on 1700w - YouTube

just 2 12s

Jeffdachef is online now 160 db farts n sharts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1351 Post(s)

if you have the space for it, just get two 600 rms D2 subwoofers wire em in series and they'd be a lot louder than most single sub setups with that same power. Stop buying prefabs bro, your not gonna get anywhere with those along with the capacitor, they both belong in the trash.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX tweets, alpine type R 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick.
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. 0 gauge Audio technix ofc all around, 2 group 31 agms in the back.

5. Likes audiobaun liked this post
    IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    946 Post(s)

To be honest, before you buy anything else, I think you should figure out why you blew 2 subs within 48 hours. i've ran kicker subs, lower lines with way overrated RMS clipped to hell (my noob days lulz) and they lasted me.

To begin with, you're not going to be seeing the full 1200 watts out of that amp due to box rise and music not being constant, so I doubt overpowering them was the factor towards the demise, especially not that quickly. Sounds more like you sent them a clipped signal.

How long were the periods of time when you were playing it? Where was your head unit volume set at? What method did you use to set the gain?

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

7. Thanks 2Dcore thanked for this post
    Likes redrider liked this post
    redrider is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    213 Post(s)

in a way im shocked that you blew kickers that fast.. **** I ran my L5s for 5 years no issue on 1200w rms (600 to each) and had them playing daily..... when I took them out of the truck they still hit like day one.

as many have said on here seems like personal error. something is off and don't think it was the subs imo.

noaffiliation.net
    subs : 1 SSA 10" gcon D2
    doors: not sure...assuming factory lol
    amp: PPI black ice series 1300.1D
    wires: whatever was there..... 4 awg
    alt: stock
    Big 3: not yet
    box: mdf/fiberglassed box ported tuned @ 34.... in process of being built by me
    Bought from: Catman Speckdzl4shzl
    Sold to: Black3gks 03silverado03

gckless is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    To be honest, before you buy anything else, I think you should figure out why you blew 2 subs within 48 hours. i've ran kicker subs, lower lines with way overrated RMS clipped to hell (my noob days lulz) and they lasted me.

To begin with, you're not going to be seeing the full 1200 watts out of that amp due to box rise and music not being constant, so I doubt overpowering them was the factor towards the demise, especially not that quickly. Sounds more like you sent them a clipped signal.

How long were the periods of time when you were playing it? Where was your head unit volume set at? What method did you use to set the gain?
    Holy Santa Claus shit, this! Why has no one else figured this out yet?

Those were the questions I asked, and the reason I asked them OP.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

naughtyca is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    803 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nismos14 View Post
    Sounds like user error.
    I agree

naughtyca is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    803 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvBoost View Post
    In a 48 hour period I've gone through two 12" Comp R's . Both rated at 800 watts rms. The Amp I'm running is a 1200 watt rms at 2 ohms. I've always owned Kicker since I've been into car audio and at this point I've come to the realization from my experiences and also my friends' that they are weak subwoofers period.

On that note, I'm looking for suggestions on a Single 12" sub that can handle 1200 watts rms and handle it well. I'm not huge into the clean sounding stuff, I just want it to rattle my brains. I've been looking a little at the RE SXX12D. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the "RE" brand or this sub in particular? I want to open my horizons into trying out different brands, being that up to this point I've really only had Kicker and I'm not willing to own another one of their subs. Thanks in advance!
    here's the problem what ever sub u run you will blow it to clip clip clip city clip

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    946 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Holy Santa Claus shit, this! Why has no one else figured this out yet?

Those were the questions I asked, and the reason I asked them OP.
    You know most people are going to come to this thread and assume he blew his subs because they are kicker subs lol

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

clickclickw00t is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

hdc312 ftw!

2012 Scion TC // 20% tint
    HU: Pioneer MVH-P4400BH
    Front: Focal 165KF Mid, Stock 3.5 inch, Stock 1inch Tweeter.
    Rear: Alpine Type R Component
    Sub: Audioque HDC 312 (@1ohm)
    High Amp: Nakamichi KA-504
    Sub Amp: Audioque 2200.1D
    Deadened doors and trunk
    Stinger Volt-meter
    Decaf All Day

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    You know most people are going to come to this thread and assume he blew his subs because they are kicker subs lol
    Lol yep, it's happened already.

OP, just get a pair of Obsidians.

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

ILuvBoost is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Look a lot of you are saying user error so let me try to explain my whole setup top to bottom, as I truly don't believe that it's something I'm doing wrong. I'm no pro in car audio but I had systems now for 6 years and I feel like I have a decent enough understanding now. Anyway here goes

Amp(1200 watt rms@2ohms): Gain was a quarter of the way up. The volume on my head unit was at 50 out of 61(normal listening volume is 41). Turned gain up as high as I could to where I didn't hear clipping. Bass boost was at 1 and frequency set to 80hz. The amp has a subsonic filter fixed at 25 hz.
    Sub/Box setup: Dual 4 ohm CompR. Final impedance was 2 ohms.
    Wiring: 4 Gauge power wire to 3 farad CAP to amp. (Haven't done the big 3 yet)
    Head Unit Settings: All "loud" and bass boost settings turned off, my sub level turned up to 3 out of 6 and frequency set to 80hz.

And if anyone cares, my rca's are run on opposites sides of the car from my power wire. The only thing that seems out of place to me is the pre-fabbed box. Is there anything I left out?

EDIT: I would also like to note that when these things blow, they freaking blow with no warning. I didn't smell any early signs of them getting hot or anything. They become COMPLETELY seized. You can't move them with your hand at all. Only after the fact did I smell anything.

chefzane is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    How did you wire them, what was your final impedance? You did something wrong, subs don't just smoke on their own.
    just pointing this out, the sub in question is one of the new kicker's that only have one set of terminals, but are dual voice coil, the one's the op has are the dual 4 ohm model, they are wired to a switch on one side that switches the coils between series and parallel wiring, you only have to connect the wires to one pos and neg terminal and flip the switch between which impedance you want, on his, 2 or 8 ohm final, they are kinda newbie proof, and as this is a new product line and made cheaper and faster than before I imagine he just got some of the defectives by chance

Coming soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvBoost View Post
    Look a lot of you are saying user error so let me try to explain my whole setup top to bottom, as I truly don't believe that it's something I'm doing wrong. I'm no pro in car audio but I had systems now for 6 years and I feel like I have a decent enough understanding now. Anyway here goes

Amp(1200 watt rms@2ohms): Gain was a quarter of the way up. The volume on my head unit was at 50 out of 61(normal listening volume is 41). Turned gain up as high as I could to where I didn't hear clipping. Bass boost was at 1 and frequency set to 80hz. The amp has a subsonic filter fixed at 25 hz.
    Sub/Box setup: Dual 4 ohm CompR. Final impedance was 2 ohms.
    Wiring: 4 Gauge power wire to 3 farad CAP to amp. (Haven't done the big 3 yet)
    Head Unit Settings: All "loud" and bass boost settings turned off, my sub level turned up to 3 out of 6 and frequency set to 80hz.

And if anyone cares, my rca's are run on opposites sides of the car from my power wire. The only thing that seems out of place to me is the pre-fabbed box. Is there anything I left out?

EDIT: I would also like to note that when these things blow, they freaking blow with no warning. I didn't smell any early signs of them getting hot or anything. They become COMPLETELY seized. You can't move them with your hand at all. Only after the fact did I smell anything.
    I see a couple problems. First, gain wasn't set with any accuracy at all. You might have been low, but you might have been clipping already. If you have a good ear, then that might not be as big of a concern. Bigger issue I see is the prefab box with a SSF of 25Hz. The box is probably tuned to somewhere in the 40's, so it's going to unload at high 30's, so depending on what you listen to, is going to treat those subs like crap. Did you hear them bottom out at all? Better yet, take some pictures, especially of the coil. From your description, you didn't set things too wrong, but I'm sure the coil says otherwise.

And I highly suggest you turn this thread from being a suggestion thread to being a diagnostic thread.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast