Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help with amp?!?!?

Jake212197 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help with amp?!?!?

Hey guys im a young kid who loves stereos i got my summer job and have saved up for everything so i received my subs yesterday and they are each rated for 200 rms so 400 rms total.. that being said today i went out and bought an alpine mrv-m500 which is a 500 watt amp @ 2ohms.. but when i opened it up they have a certificate at which they rated the amp from the factory at 567 watt rms which is a little more than i wanted to power my subs i mean i thing 100 watts over isnt bad but i dont know about 133 watts.

So is this to much power going to the subs? Will it hurt the longevity of the subs because i want to have them for as long as i can i worked so hard for them. so what do i do ?????

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Re: Help with amp?!?!?

What kind if subs? Brand and model...
    What kind of box are you putting them in?
    What kind of electrical are you running? e.g. What size wire is or will be running to the amp?
    How will you set the amp gain? By ear? With a meter?

All of those things need to be known before anyone can answer your question with any degree of accuracy.

That said, it probably won't be a problem. You can always turn back the bass on an amp that has too much power but you can never add power to one that doesn't have enough so if we're going to be off balance, an excess of power is better.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry sealed box, Mtx terminator package, 4 gauge amp. Thats what i was confused about is im not to sure what gain is is it like an electrical filter if set down less electricity (power) coming through? and if that is partially correct could i set gain down a little too ?

caseyarndt is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure what exactly the "mtx terminator package" is. Could you give a link or the specs of the subs?
    But yes gain is input sensitivity. Basically how sensitive the amp is to the input voltage being sent to it by your deck or head unit.
    Yea u can turn down the gain to make the amp put out less power. It ill put out a cleaner signal to your subs as well, so it is a good thing that it is rated more than the combined rms of your subs.

Car: Chevy Cobalt Coupe
    Front Stage: Mids: Aura rpm 4", Midbass: Four Aura NS6's
    Rear Fill: Pioneer 6x9s
    Amps: 2 Rockford Fosgate T400-4's, and a T1500-1BDCP
    Electrical: Stock 140amp alt, Big 3, and a SHURiKEN SK-BT100
    Winter sub setup: Kicker F12a IB mounted from rear deck
    In the works: Diamond D9 12

bbeljefe is offline Premium Member bbeljefe is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

In a sealed box you should be fine, assuming the terminator package you're talking about is the subwoofers.

I don't mean to badger you but if you'd just be a bit more forthcoming with model numbers of equipment and such, we can help you make sure you get the most out of your system without damaging things.

What kind of head unit do you have?

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Well, Im pretty sure that for an RMS rating of 200,I can take a wild guess that your subs are SVC 4ohm,single 4 ohm subs.Not many subs out there if any are rated at 200rms for any DVC sub that I can think of within the last 15yrs.Wire +to +,and - to - should bring you to a 2 ohm load in which you have chosen the perfect amplifier for these subs, and the right amount of power.Never hurts to have a little head room/power from an amp.Keeps them from running harder,and a bit cooler in most cases,resulting in lasting a bit longer,and performing well within limitations rather than maxed out towards struggling/running Hot.You will be just fine with that set up.Just build a good box by specs for the subs to get the most out of them.The box plays the largest part for any subs performance

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Closed Thread