Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Kicker Help

Komsan6063 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Kicker Help

Hey, so i had a question about some kickers that im looking at. I was wondering if i should get 2 Kicker 12inch Comp Rs in a preloaded kicker ported box or should i buy the subs separately and put them in the sealed box that ive had for a while? The Subs specs are as follows.

12" Dual 2 Ohm CompR (CWR) Subwoofer
    Power Handling:
    Peak: 3200 watts per system / 1600 watts each sub
    RMS: 1600 watts per system / 800 watts each sub

I drive a 2009 honda civic lx so I dont have enough room to put a full size ported box in. Nothing bigger than this
    Kicker 40DCWR122 Dual 12" Ported CompR (CWR) Loaded Subwoofer

jasonbillnelson is offline LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GTFO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Kicker Help

What's your budget and what are you looking to achieve? You can find so much better than Kicker for the same money.

SSgt. Jason Nelson
    Andrews AFB, MD USAF

Bought from sangthing, 93 saturn sl2, basswiigee, goodstuff, HomeGrown, 06gtmike
    **PBnation**http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=382280 --**eBay**search jasonbillnelson, 104 positive-0 negative[
    HU: Clarion NX501 Nav Deck
    Amps: C2 Audio Recon 1.6, Sundown SAX50.4
    Speakers: MB Quart ONX216 Components - 2 full sets
    Subwoofer: C2 Audio Threatcon 4 V1 12"
    Wire/Battery: 0ga CCA --Shuriken BT-80 up front and Shuriken BT-35 secondary

st0n3r is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

while everyone has an opinion and preference on subs, how bout we not try and push other brands because of our hate on a specific brand. he seems interested in those, which theres nothing wrong with so lets answer his question.
    @Komsan6063 ; if you do not have the room to run a proper size ported enclosure than you need either buy a different quantity of subs, smaller size subs etc. Buying prefab boxes will work in a way, but you will NOT get the best performance out of it. You should either look to drop down to 10's, or go with a single 12.

4. Thanks n8skow, macsdad thanked for this post
    Likes audiobaun, DoesDad liked this post
    IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st0n3r View Post
    while everyone has an opinion and preference on subs, how bout we not try and push other brands because of our hate on a specific brand. he seems interested in those, which theres nothing wrong with so lets answer his question.
    @Komsan6063 ; if you do not have the room to run a proper size ported enclosure than you need either buy a different quantity of subs, smaller size subs etc. Buying prefab boxes will work in a way, but you will NOT get the best performance out of it. You should either look to drop down to 10's, or go with a single 12.
    And yet you didn't even answer his original question.

Op you're set on the kickers, the preloaded ported enclosure will give you more output than a sealed box.

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

DDtC is offline High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by st0n3r View Post
    There is a good reason why kicker gets hated on. Take a look at their facebook page, they have a picture showing 3 subs cut in half. Look how much pointless cover up they have. If I was Kicker I would of not posted that. Its a bit sad really. Kicker has horrible quality, god awful sound quality, no excurrision, no motor force, limited power handeling. They have went down hill more then any other name. The amps are just OK but nothing special in their price bracket. And they are only OK because they do rated power. Thats the only good thing

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DD M4(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

7. Likes Timmy13091 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DDtC View Post
    There is a good reason why kicker gets hated on. Take a look at their facebook page, they have a picture showing 3 subs cut in half. Look how much pointless cover up they have. If I was Kicker I would of not posted that. Its a bit sad really. Kicker has horrible quality, god awful sound quality, no excurrision, no motor force, limited power handeling. They have went down hill more then any other name. The amps are just OK but nothing special in their price bracket. And they are only OK because they do rated power. Thats the only good thing
    My solo xs are the complete opposite of what you just said.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    My solo xs are the complete opposite of what you just said.
    I know they are but they dont make them anymore so I will put them with the old kicker. Same with the SX and KX amps

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I know they are but they dont make them anymore so I will put them with the old kicker. Same with the SX and KX amps
    Ah gotcha

Yeah the solo x's are the only subs I'd run by them

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    Ah gotcha

Yeah the solo x's are the only subs I'd run by them
    Personally I would run round 15s before a square 12. They both need the same airspace

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Personally I would run round 15s before a square 12. They both need the same airspace
    Yeah, that was one of my plans, but I got these solo xs locally with new recones at a cheap price so I picked them up.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

NIHL8ION is offline RUN ur car NOT ur mouth !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

You could build or have a box built the same exact size as the one you listed above, but instead for: x2 - 10" Sundown SA-10 D4's which is 3.12^ft3 gross... With .75 mdf, double baffle face, woofer volume accounted for, slot ported to the tune of 35 hz & wind up with approx. 2.2^ft3 Net which would be fine for 2 Sundown SA-10's and I guarantee you that you will be a LOT happier than with those kickers...... Sundown SA-10 D4's = $184.99 ea, you could build a box for about $55 carpeted so figure $425 vs. $399.95 - Spend The extra $25 bux, you will thank yourself in the end... and you can also run @ 1 ohm then which will make it easier to get an amp with adequate power as opposed to the Kicker's 2 ohm final impedance... Plus if you build your own box it will be a good fun learning experience for you

- Cadence DCA2500.1 Running a Tantric HDD - 12" D2
    *Bought From: cx-7heaven, nutnbutcustm, naughtyca, agarabaghi, Skip01*Traded With: infamous_e46, basswiigee**Sold To: DeanG, R.S.D., livinloud!*
    Feedback Link: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1028333

14. Likes Timmy13091 liked this post
    psych0ticnemes1 is offline Psych0tic Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I've ran plenty of different kicker equipment over the years and have never had a problem with any of it. Apparently quality these days means, how much can I abuse my equipment beyond it's actuality ability before it fails. Trust me, throw rated power on any kicker sub and it'll perform fine. Sound quality can subjective and is an entirely different argument. Excursion? Really?

Op, I'd go with the prefab ported enclosure > sealed, but I don't have first hand experience with it. Can you listen to it first?

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

16. Likes Reinhardt, n8skow liked this post
    NIHL8ION is offline RUN ur car NOT ur mouth !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by psych0ticnemes1 View Post
    I've ran plenty of different kicker equipment over the years and have never had a problem with any of it. Apparently quality these days means, how much can I abuse my equipment beyond it's actuality ability before it fails. Trust me, throw rated power on any kicker sub and it'll perform fine. Sound quality can subjective and is an entirely different argument. Excursion? Really?

Op, I'd go with the prefab ported enclosure > sealed, but I don't have first hand experience with it. Can you listen to it first?
    Have you heard one of those round side ported kicker pre-fabs? They sound like crap imo,I've heard them in person.... 2 SA-10's would blow that setup out of the water and it's right around the same price point... If OP wants kickers by all means run kickers, but I would build my own enclosure or have one built, those pre-fabs ****

- Cadence DCA2500.1 Running a Tantric HDD - 12" D2
    *Bought From: cx-7heaven, nutnbutcustm, naughtyca, agarabaghi, Skip01*Traded With: infamous_e46, basswiigee**Sold To: DeanG, R.S.D., livinloud!*
    Feedback Link: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1028333

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NIHL8ION View Post
    Have you heard one of those round side ported kicker pre-fabs? They sound like crap imo,I've heard them in person.... 2 SA-10's would blow that setup out of the water and it's right around the same price point...
    That is if the OP can build a box. Not everybody has the skills or access to the tools to build one, so if he can't, add about $150 to $200 to that price tag.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

psych0ticnemes1 is offline Psych0tic Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I agree with the SAs and building your own enclosure, unfortunately I don't think the OP wants to do that. And I already mentioned that I have not heard the prefab ported.

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast