Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Newbie needs some advice!

Midwestkracker is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Newbie needs some advice!

What's up guys.

I've always been into sound systems, but have only had a few in the past and am still pretty uneducated on the subject. Im currently transitioning out of active duty army after four years of service.nill be returning home next month and will be buying an '01 or so deville for a daily driver. Really looking for advice on a quality system to install.

I'm set on two 15's, unless somebody can Talk me into a single 15. Budget is around 3500 for subs, amp, headunit, wiring, etc. I could go a bit over that number.

Really looking for a loud system without sacrificing SQ. I listen to a variety of music, from rap/hip hop to 80's grunge. Literally everything.

Hoping for suggestions for not only subs, but also an amp and headunit within my budget. As with everything I do, I want to do this right. I'd like to pull up to a sound comp and atleast be competitive for having a set of daily bumping subs.

I appreciate any help in advance.

Thanks guys.

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Re: Newbie needs some advice!

You didn't mention upgrading your actual main speakers. If you want to do it right and listen to everything, just adding bass won't get you far. For 3500 I'd be looking towards a split of about

500 headunit/processing
    1000 amps
    800subs
    500install supplies (wire, box mats, tools,etc)
    700 front stage

You could play with that some depending on overall goals, but that's going to be a good ballpark. I always spend more on amps because if you get good amps that are reliable, they last a long time and you can always switch out drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

3. Likes basswiigee liked this post
    civic si is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

look into sundown audio amps for that price range. I think these amps will please you. Personally i haven't heard them myself but know from hand they are great amps. My perspective leans toward directed amps. I've always used them so i know what they are about

Recently got Back into The hobbie

current setup
    -Pioneer Deh 80prs HU(bought from tx4wl)
    -Pioneer Deh X9500BHS (bought from Eg9)
    -Alpine CDA 9833 HU
    -Boston Acoustic Rally 6.5 Comp set RC620
    -US AMPS X3 Crossover
    -alpine mrp f300 4 channel amp

bassman_soundki is offline BASS OBSESSION

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are several great brands of subs to choose from like FI, Ascendant Audio, etc....or you can buy from some of the builders on here as well.
    Sub Amps, Sundown, Audioque, RD Audio, American Bass and so on.
    I personally like old school amps to run my main speakers like Linear power, Zapco, US Amps, but I am sure honestly there isnt as much difference as I would like to think there is.
    Front speakers are the place where you have to decide for yourself.
    Every pair of speakers can have a different sound, and I have found that listening to others systems can guide you in the right direction.

Sold to: Jonesy

Traded with: Jonesy , 310w6, Ciaonzo

Bought from : newtitan, Tat2bass

System
    Alpine 7894
    Autotek mm4000.1
    Zapco AG750

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the good info guys.

I overlooked the front speakers in my original post, I'll certainly be upgrading atleast the front door speakers.

Ive had a pair of RE 15s back in the day before Fi branches out, so I would love to stick with some Fi subs.

Sundown amps was actually what I was already planning on for power.

If somebody could actually suggest a specific model of 15s, specific headunit, amp, door speakers, etc that would fit my criteria that would be awesome. Like I said I listen to everything, but I would say the majority is rap.

I'm sure I sound like a fool, but mechanics is where my heart is. One dy I will research and fool around with systems more, but for now I'll leave it to you pros! Haha

Thanks again fellas

argenis69 is offline SQ Bass Lover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Fi SP4 Subs and crescendo audio amps. loud, quality, and better priced. my recommendations 100%.

OldManBass is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Midwestkracker View Post

I overlooked the front speakers in my original post, I'll certainly be upgrading atleast the front door speakers.

Ive had a pair of RE 15s back in the day before Fi branches out, so I would love to stick with some Fi subs.

Sundown amps was actually what I was already planning on for power.

If somebody could actually suggest a specific model of 15s, specific headunit, amp, door speakers, etc that would fit my criteria that would be awesome. Like I said I listen to everything, but I would say the majority is rap.

I'm sure I sound like a fool, but mechanics is where my heart is. One dy I will research and fool around with systems more, but for now I'll leave it to you pros! Haha

Thanks again fellas
    I'd look to Fi for subs... maybe Q 15"s, and DD for a sub amp... but that's just me Q's can get loud, and sound really good doing it.

Clarion CZ702, PPI P900.4, PHD FB 6.1 Kit Pro, Digital Designs M2b, two Fi SSD 15"

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:13

OldManBass is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Front stage wise, I'd take a good hard look at PHD. They are really, really good. Run active off of a nice 4 channel amp, and you will have a pretty sweet SQL setup indeed!

Clarion CZ702, PPI P900.4, PHD FB 6.1 Kit Pro, Digital Designs M2b, two Fi SSD 15"

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:13

bassman_soundki is offline BASS OBSESSION

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks again fellas
    1st thing ppl notice in my cars is that the front speakers are loud and clean, and then that the bass level sounds right, and not just blasting bass and mids/highs off a deck lol.
    I think anything by Fi will sound awesome, as will many other brands.
    Subwoofer enclosure build quality is the most important part of a sub-woofer, and next is clean constant POWER.

You will need batterie(s) and or a HO alt to make your amps and speakers get the clean power and last longer, so dont forget to budget that in as well.

Sold to: Jonesy

Traded with: Jonesy , 310w6, Ciaonzo

Bought from : newtitan, Tat2bass

System
    Alpine 7894
    Autotek mm4000.1
    Zapco AG750

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

agree with bass man ,you'll need a ho alt at least a couple of group 31 agm batts and 1 under the hood ,then a good 4500 rms amp for the subs,250-500 rms amp for the components and a nice set of components ,phd,hertz , cdt , dls ,pick you poison .also lots of wire a custom box.i listen to pretty much the same music and i'm in the process of building a system in my truck just like what you are wanting

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    agree with bass man ,you'll need a ho alt at least a couple of group 31 agm batts and 1 under the hood ,then a good 4500 rms amp for the subs,250-500 rms amp for the components and a nice set of components ,phd,hertz , cdt , dls ,pick you poison .also lots of wire a custom box.i listen to pretty much the same music and i'm in the process of building a system in my truck just like what you are wanting
    How do you guys feel about the sundown SAZ-3500D v.2 for my application? The crescendo amps look nice as well..

The sp4's need a ton of space. Maybe I'll just go with a single 15

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

How do you guys feel about the sundown SAZ-3500D v.2 for my application?
    sundown amps are very nice amps , a bit costly ,but none the less nice.there are others as well ,dc, american bass,mmats,ampere audio and the new flatlne amps all are nice amps

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

14. Likes andrew2944r liked this post
    macsdad is offline boom-boom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

First, thank you for your service. Sundown makes great amps and subs, hard to beat. Also American Bass, subs and amps, Sound Solutions Audio (SSA). The fun part for most of us is the research portion. There are some on here that can assist you, also, remeber that the enclosure will be very important no matter what amp/subs you decide on. You have a decent budget that should garner a lot of prospects for you.

16. Thanks denim thanked for this post
    Likes denim liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well how does everybody else feel about the crescendo amps? Their bc3500d is under 800 dollars and I haven't read a bad review yet. Seems like a quality piece?

I'm liking the phd for the front. Which model would you all recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

Well how does everybody else feel about the crescendo amps? Their bc3500d is under 800 dollars and I haven't read a bad review yet. Seems like a quality piece?

I'm liking the phd for the front. Which model would you all recommend?
    cresendo amps are ok ,everyone i know here in cali ,doesn't keep them long tho .also the fb6.1 pros

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Closed Thread