ThunderOne is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Not super happy with JL 12w3.. Looking for another 12

Quote Originally Posted by RicksI30 View Post
    Measure the voice coils with a dmm.
    Pardon me for being a noob but I need it explained to me in layman's terms..

admobass is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't cut your box!!! Agreed with rickI30, but check your settings on your headunit. Bass boost off?

RicksI30 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderOne View Post
    Pardon me for being a noob but I need it explained to me in layman's terms..
    Do you have a digital multimeter? The people at your "shop" sound clueless, and unless JL would warranty the sub you would probably be better off buying a new sub, IF it is blown.

Head unit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996
    Front stage: Alpine Type X PRO mids Vifa Neo 1" silk tweeters
    Front stage amp: PPI Bk800.4
    Subs: SSA XCON 12's in 4.5 cubes tuned to 34hz
    Sub amp: PPI Bk1300.1
    Sound Deadening: Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Spectrum, and Sludge

Team SSA

admobass is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you have one set your multi meter to ohms and connect it to the positive and negative terminals of your subwoofer (can be done in the box but preferably out) and it should read between 3.7 and 4.2 but close to 4.0 for a 4 ohm sub.

clickclickw00t is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Honestly this sounds like an issue with either your sub or your headunit settings. What type of head unit do you have? Is your "loudness" set to "off"? Make sure your EQ is set to flat. Did you properly set your gains with a Digital Multimeter? That is one of the most important parts of setting up your system. That JL should be kicking pretty hard. MAKE SURE YOUR BASS BOOST ON THE AMP IS OFF! And you have a high pass filter somewhere between 80-100hz

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clickclickw00t View Post
    Honestly this sounds like an issue with either your sub or your headunit settings. What type of head unit do you have? Is your "loudness" set to "off"? Make sure your EQ is set to flat. Did you properly set your gains with a Digital Multimeter? That is one of the most important parts of setting up your system. That JL should be kicking pretty hard. MAKE SURE YOUR BASS BOOST ON THE AMP IS OFF! And you have a high pass filter somewhere between 80-100hz
    Thanks, there is a "bass" setting from 0-6 on my head unit, it's an old Pioneer Premier DEH something or other. Should I turn that 'bass' to 0 and then adjust the sub settings through the amp dials? What about my internal HU amp? I also have loudness set to off, it always has been.

Should I turn the bass to 0 and then adjust the gain? Will this help some?

I currently have the HPF set to 63Hz but I usually have it at 80.

Also, if I push on the sub it still has good resistance but I can reproduce the grinding noise if I push in on the sub on any side of the front. If I push directly on the center of the sub it does not make the noise. Does this mean my sub is messed up?

I have two months left to return it for a warranty repair, but I'm not looking forward to being sub-less for however long it takes for them to fix it.

clickclickw00t is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yea, set the bass setting to 0. that is "normal". I think you really need to read up on car audio and setting AMP gains with a Digital Multimeter. Honestly, I had no idea how to do it about 8 months ago, and then after about 2 hours of reading, and spending $50 on a multimeter, I was able to set my gains properly and have had no problems since.

Also, the grinding noise can happen if the cone is misaligned, but if you press down on the middle and it makes no noise it is probably fine. I would definitely do research on proper gain setting. That is the most important part of the connection between your head unit and the subwoofer: how much voltage the amp is getting/gaining. Trust me you won't regret it. Doing it by ear only causes problems down the line.

you're gonna need to burn a CD with test tones, and with your volume at about 3/4 of the way, you set your voltage.

Thanks, there is a "bass" setting from 0-6 on my head unit, it's an old Pioneer Premier DEH something or other. Should I turn that 'bass' to 0 and then adjust the sub settings through the amp dials? What about my internal HU amp? I also have loudness set to off, it always has been.

Also, if I push on the sub it still has good resistance but I can reproduce the grinding noise if I push in on the sub on any side of the front. If I push directly on the center of the sub it does not make the noise. Does this mean my sub is messed up?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by admobass View Post
    If you have one set your multi meter to ohms and connect it to the positive and negative terminals of your subwoofer (can be done in the box but preferably out) and it should read between 3.7 and 4.2 but close to 4.0 for a 4 ohm sub.
    So if it reads too low or too high does that mean that my sub is messed up? I will see if I can find a friend that has one.
    Do I test it while it's on and running, or just with the power going to it but no music?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clickclickw00t View Post
    Yea, set the bass setting to 0. that is "normal". I think you really need to read up on car audio and setting AMP gains with a Digital Multimeter. Honestly, I had no idea how to do it about 8 months ago, and then after about 2 hours of reading, and spending $50 on a multimeter, I was able to set my gains properly and have had no problems since.

Also, the grinding noise can happen if the cone is misaligned, but if you press down on the middle and it makes no noise it is probably fine. I would definitely do research on proper gain setting. That is the most important part of the connection between your head unit and the subwoofer: how much voltage the amp is getting/gaining. Trust me you won't regret it. Doing it by ear only causes problems down the line.

you're gonna need to burn a CD with test tones, and with your volume at about 3/4 of the way, you set your voltage.
    3/4 of the way is very loud for my ears, and I find that I like the sub to hit a little harder than the music plays just because I can control the gain with the rux-knob and adjust it from there. What voltage should I be looking at? Can you provide me with a link on how to get started doing all this?

As far as the grinding noise coming from the sub when I turn the knob.. it used to not do it, and it just recently started. So I'm a little worried about that.

garretttt4 is offline big pimpin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdachef View Post
    to be honest, you can switch out that sealed for a ported box thats tuned to have a flat EQ so you'll have sound quality and loudness without your sub having to bottom out. Also are you sure its not distortion from a clipped signal? Your amp might not have enough juice to push it, if i were you, i'd get an amp with more than enough rms to power your w3 or any future sub you would want to upgrade to. Also GCON-12 Sound Solutions Audio 12" 750W GCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE
    says 750 but can easily take almost double with clean power with the sound quality to boot.
    I second ssa!

01 Silverado 2500hd (gasser. :/)
    Coming soon
    Four custom mmats juggernaut 12's.
    Amp undecided..?

Bought from: Jayzbent, mylows10, logan527, Timmy13091, wingsfreak9, Underfire
    Traded with: mylows10(x2), knowmadic
    Sold to: 03silverado03, foomanchu, heel4lyfe, Timmy13091, wErd

SounDrive is offline SounDrive RCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If your sub is making a grinding noise it's time to get something new

Owner, SounDrive Custom RCAs (and other cables)

Find us on Facebook!

jeffdachef is online now I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Should I turn the bass to 0 and then adjust the gain? Will this help some?

I have two months left to return it for a warranty repair, but I'm not looking forward to being sub-less for however long it takes for them to fix it.
    I could be wrong but it seems like you've got quite a lemon there in that JL audio sub. Definitly not natural to have scratching noises from pushing it anywhere. Its just bad luck, either have it repaired or sell it and get a stronger sub with undderrated RMS abilities.

Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

13. Likes ThunderOne liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys! I will give JL a call in the morning.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, so I turned down the bass boost, and my Subwoofer.2? (pioneer HU) setting on my sub is at 80Hz and my HPF setting is on 80Hz. Is that correct to do? Also, is it required that the lowest Hz setting on my EQ be at 0 or can I adjust it up or down?

I haven't had time to call JL yet, just trying to make this thing work decently for now.

sam_b03 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Google "setting gain with ddm"
    Ohms are the unit of measure for electrical resistance. The ddm sends a specific voltage with a specific amperage known to the meter. Using ohm's law that states it take 1 volt with 1 amp to cross 1 ohm of resistance.
    If the meter reads 0 or close to it you have a short. If it reads I or infinity then you have an open circuit(blown).

The reason for 3/4 HU volume the signal can become "dirty" above this. By doing this it you never want to turn your volume above this level because your amp is sendong out most signal while still safe for your speaker. Once it is done. If You want to, use the HU settings to up the sub level at normal listening levels. Remember to turn it back dow. If you are showing off or cranking it.

CDT 642 powered by Clarion Apx 4360
    SA-12 powered by MB Quart ONYX1500.1

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast