Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Jl and efficiency

TDot is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jl and efficiency

So I'm a little confused after reading the following on one of jl audio subwoofer manual:

"Efficiency (1W/1m) is not an accurate indicator of a subwoofer’s output capability and should not be used as a comparison to other subwoofers to determine which one is “louder” !"

This pretty much goes against everything I've been told and learned about buying speakers. I do know there are other components to loud, however, ive always been told this is the main one. Any insight and input please.

destined2race is offline Already Being Used....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Jl and efficiency

I believe if a sub is efficient, it can use less power and still have good output. Where as subs that are on the other spectrum require higher power per their recommended specs to perform well. In the main sense tho its not the defining "loudness" factor that im aware of.

Headunit - Kenwood DDX 318 4v double din
    Front Stage - JL Audio c2 6.5 comp set
    Rear Stage - Jl Audio VR 6" comp set
    Front stage amp - OS Sony (.005 THD Rated)
    Sub Stage - 2 10" IDs 1cu sealed per
    Sub Stage Amp - Boston Acoustic GT-28
    Big 3, SVR800 Batt, JL Blue Line Rca's, 0 ga JL kit
    Refs - The_Grimy_One, Deusle, zach90z, shineman08, Orion 2500D

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

basically if a sub is effecent, it has a high motor force, and low MMS. This leads to a high FS low Q driver. This makes the driver less suited for low end output, especially in a sealed box. Basically less effecient drivers have less output in the upper bass/watt, but they roll off slower as you drop in frequency. Higher effeciency drivers start louder at say, 100hz, but by 30hz will be less effecient. Usually you want a compromise between the 2 and ultimately, most SPL is about having high, XMAX, BL, and powerhandling. A good mix of those 3 is usually best for daily listening SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

TDot is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that's the best explanation I've read or gotten on the subject. Thanks. Unfortunately I rarely see the bl rating of a sub. Is a high motor force good, and what is mms?
    1/ Since the high efficiency subs roll off more at lower freq, can't I just bump that lower freq up with eq to compensate or will that be bad for the driver or something?

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TDot View Post
    I think that's the best explanation I've read or gotten on the subject. Thanks. Unfortunately I rarely see the bl rating of a sub. Is a high motor force good, and what is mms?
    1/ Since the high efficiency subs roll off more at lower freq, can't I just bump that lower freq up with eq to compensate or will that be bad for the driver or something?
    High motor force is generally good, but too much of anything is bad. Higher motor force subs generally lend themselves to ported alignments, lower BL sealed. MMS is the moving mass of the speaker, so how heavy the moving parts are.

Anyway, here is another good reference on this http://stereointegrity.com/docs/Efficiency.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

TDot is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks

Ray21 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TDot View Post
    So I'm a little confused after reading the following on one of jl audio subwoofer manual:

"Efficiency (1W/1m) is not an accurate indicator of a subwoofer’s output capability and should not be used as a comparison to other subwoofers to determine which one is “louder” !"
    Their point is that efficiency doesn't give info on the maximum output a sub can achieve. Which is correct...

'10 F150 - 3Sixty.2 / MTX 2150x / MTX 275x / Blueprint XBL^2 Subs/ Boston SL80

REFs: flakko, Naxis2k1, JCJetta, jrgreene1968, NoPh33rRaCiNg, VTECnicalAccord, jadon087, sundownz, lmllopez, Toxic Tuan

Closed Thread