Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Looking for new subs

Dubb93 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking for new subs

Hello all, I've been in the car audio scene for several years now. I started out with some cheap pioneer 12's, moved up to some MTX Thunder 8000's, 12 inch with a 1500 watt amp. Had them for a little while but just could not stand the way the bass sounded on many songs. The main problem was they were not loud enough, and had problems with non stop bass. So I moved on to 2 Rockford Fosgate Power HX2 12's. 2 Rockford 1050's, rated at a little bit over 1100 watts a piece, a Rockford dry cell battery, and 2 Fusion 1.5 farad caps and an Alpine head unit, just couldn't get into the Pioneer head unit i had b/f, skipped too much and even scratched my cd's. All my wiring is Fusion speaker wire, 0 gauge and a little 4 gauge. I had all of this in a Tahoe in a 5.5 cubic foot box tuned to 35. The highest I hit at a sound comp was 150. I wrecked my Tahoe and moved on to a 2001 mustang GT, mainly b/c I got a great deal on the price. Since moving to the mustang I upgraded the Alternator, not to a really high performace one but I got 30 extra amps on the stock. I moved all the equipment over except the box, switched to a sealed box, now I'm down to 141 dbs. I'm looking for some new subs, b/c I would like at least the standard 1 year warranty, obviously with this in mind i'm only looking to buy for an authorized dealer. So no you can get these on ebay, for cheap or anything like that. The main reason for the new subs is the fact i'm afraid i'll blow them at a comp and be screwed and get nothing out of them now that my warranty is up on them. I'm not looking to upgrade my battery, alternator, caps, or amps anymore than they already have been. Also keep in mind my truck is pretty filled up and I only have about 4-5 cubic feet before displacement to work with for a box. My other option is to get a ported box for them, which i'm looking into, however if I went that route I would just assume get some new subs to put in the box.

Kicker and Audiobahn are out of the question. Got a buddy with 2 L7 12's who hits 151 at sound comps(he is an installer at a Kicker authorized dealer.) 2 of my other friends also sport kicker subs, 1 has 1 12 Solo X hits about 154, 1 has 2 15 Kicker comps, hits 140. My other really good friend has 2 Audiobahn Flame Compression subs, his number is 143. Obviously I would like to stay away from those brands.

Let me narrow down my choices a little bit, however if anyone has a sub not mentioned that they fill would do the job tell me about them. I could get some fiberglassing done and put in some 12w7's, I also saw some 10w7's at the local shop I could get in, in indivual ported boxes. The 12w6v2's in a ported box interested me too, but they don't seem to get loud enough for my liking. I could go for some mag's, I would prefer the 15's, but then again space is limited, so the 12's may be more realistic. Another local shop said they would like to(and what shop wouldn't, lol) try and get some Diamond Audio TDX? 15's in there by sliding the box in through the opening behind the back seats and have them fire upward. They are 1600 watts RMS but they hooked a pair up to 2 1100 watt amps and they wang pretty good. I was also looking at some DD9500 series, but don't know their RMS. I would love to put some XXX's back there, would like the 15's but again space is limited, anyone heard XXX's with about 1100 watts on them? Again, we have lots of sound comps in my area so SPL is a premium, I would love to out pound my friend with the solo X, but then again I would like it to sound better than his too. Like I said i got about 4-5 cubic feet before displacement, however with fiberglassing, or cutting out the carpet of the truck will give me 2-3 more cubic feet. We did those calculations at the shop I bought my system at. Price is not a factor, performance is.

WarDrumz is offline Hebrew Israelite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Looking for new subs

Strictly SPL: Treo CSX 12-18"
    http://www.treoonline.com/csx.html

A little less SPL with more SQ: Treo SSX 12-18"
    http://www.treoonline.com/ssx.html

-----------------------------------
    HEADUNIT: Pioneer DEH-P77DH
    SPEAKERS: Polk Audio MM6 Components
    SUBWOOFER: Elemental Designs 15AE
    SUB BOX: 3.4 Cubic Feet @24Hz
    AMP 1: Hifonics Brutus 1500D
    AMP 2: Hifonics Zeus ZX4000
    http://www.hebrewisraelites.org
    IN PROGRESS:

2 Crystal CMPx2 15's
    7 cubic feet dual 15 sealed box
    SoundStream VGA 1600.2

DBfan187 is offline Supa's mom was here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Get a 15" Orion H2. They get loud in small ported boxes. Try it in 2.5^3 after displacment tuned to 30Hz.

Or www.IncriminatorAudio.com - the Death Penaltiy series!

BooLeaN is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Selenium Extremes are supposed to be good with not too much power. A pair of 12's or 15's.

Also, the RE SX would get quite loud, I'd suggest 1 15 with the power and space you have.

The Magnums would be great, 2 12's or 1 15 would treat you well.
    Lots of other stuff out there as well. Go with what you like the looks of best after you narrow it down a bit to all high quality subs

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Kenwood Excelon X-890
    2 JL 12W0's
    Zapco AG350
    Time to upgrade!!

Dubb93 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone else recommend the TREO? It looks like my amps match up pretty good. Any bad things about the sub? Called them and they are calling me back tomorrow with more info and the nearest dealer.

i3abyjay25 is offline Get F'n Loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have a 15 shocker extreme.. if intrested Pm me...

Fs/t

Orion 2500d
    Orion 4004
    250 amp alt w. external voltage reg. for a ford explorer

Refs: Electrodynsmic, Millerboy, Ugaboiii, Ezekiel81923, Toaster, Team Psi, KickerCivic1, MatrxxDude, TommyK90, Xterra02_Pat

LimPerT is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubb93
    Anyone else recommend the TREO? It looks like my amps match up pretty good. Any bad things about the sub? Called them and they are calling me back tomorrow with more info and the nearest dealer.
    dont like the looks of it... but then again looks mean nothing

Dubb93 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I've yet to get that call back so I've been put off on the TREO CSX, doesn't seem like the best service in the world on their part, and the paper cone. My friend had an old cheap 10' sub, not sure what brand but after a while he developed a whole in the cone. It still moved and hit, just sounded like complete crap. Anyone have problems with paper cones on subs before? For the amount of watts what would be lounder an XXX with 1100 watts on it, or an RE SE, an RE HC(never heard anything about these subs but saw them on the web site), or a Magnum D2. Can anyone list personal experiences with these subs with around 1100 watts in 2.5(5 total) cubic foot box, either ported or sealed. I'm lookin at 2 12's, but maybe 15's would work if someone could make that argument. I'm new to these "internet" subs listed above.

Closed Thread