Closed Thread

Reload Thread: DD 9512i vs DC XL m2 12

DDtC is offline Go cheap you get cheap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

DD 9512i vs DC XL m2 12

Let me start this off by saying I've ran and been around many of the forum boners. I've had DC subs in my car for the last 3 years and they have always impressed me but I always felt they where missing something. They wanted more power but that's not efficient is it? Ok on to the comparo

I've had the XLs in many boxes so I'm going to go off the one that was simular to the box I have the DDs in. 3 cubes net tuned at 32 for the pair. DC recommended size vs 4 cubes net tuned at 33.5 for the DDs. Both running off a DC 5.0k. The DCs had voltage of 13.6 from a 200 amp alt the DDs have voltage 14.6 from a 300 amp alt. The DCs wired at 1 ohm the DDs wired at .7.

I've always felt the DD/AQ subs had a hollow empty sound. Not the new i series. They are way stronger and fuller on the low end the the DCs. I'm not sure about numbers but they are peaking way lower pre breakin and sound much louder to the ear AND seem to be wreaking my car more, car has many layers of deadener and was built to not flex.. It's flexing like I've done nothing to it. I could do little shirt tricks with the DCs. The DDs will do hair tricks and move some with the door wide open. I don't plan on metering it cause I don't care about numbers anymore so I can't say what's better but the DDs are peaking WAY lower.

Power handling.. I only have about a hours play time on the DDs, they are seeing more power then the XLs but seem to be taking it better to this point. It's not that much more power.

Conclusion.... I can see why DD stays on top. Theses subs are pure hammers, sound amazing with little breakin. Everybody talks about the cost of DD. it's not anymore then every other big sub. I was looking at Mayhems, PSI platform 3s, and the 9500s. All where very close in price. I think I made the right choice. I'm officially a DD nutthugger. I'm sure ill be even more pleased with the M4a.

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Alpine CDA-117
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DC 5K(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • DD M4a and XS D3100 coming soon
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

sbarber82 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: DD 9512i vs DC XL m2 12

I owned DD for 8 plus years and they never let me down. Loud as fuuck and sounded amazing doing it. I now am running Sundown sa 8 v2s because of my tightness on space but I am happy with them. If i end up doing a blow through in my truck I am going back to DD. Great choice!

Ride:2009 Silverado Crew Cab
    H/U: Pioneer avh-p4400bh
    Amps: Ampere Audio 3800.1 Ampere Audio 125.4
    Subs: 2 Tantric HDD 15's
    Enclosure: 4th Order Blow Through
    Mids/Highs: Tantric HD
    Singer 320 Hairpin 6 phase

mlstrass is online now Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

DD/AQ have both changed soft parts the last year or so to lower fs and be better suited for all the C&S crap kids want to play. You will lose some on the meter though. I've done several v4 recones on HDC's for guys and saw peak drop several Hz and score go down a fuzz.

I prefer the tight/punchy sound of them and don't think they sound hollow, they're just not boomy/over exaggerated on the lower end like a lot of other subs.

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DDtC View Post
    Let me start this off by saying I've ran and been around many of the forum boners. I've had DC subs in my car for the last 3 years and they have always impressed me but I always felt they where missing something. They wanted more power but that's not efficient is it? Ok on to the comparo

I've had the XLs in many boxes so I'm going to go off the one that was simular to the box I have the DDs in. 3 cubes net tuned at 32 for the pair. DC recommended size vs 4 cubes net tuned at 33.5 for the DDs. Both running off a DC 5.0k. The DCs had voltage of 13.6 from a 200 amp alt the DDs have voltage 14.6 from a 300 amp alt. The DCs wired at 1 ohm the DDs wired at .7.

I've always felt the DD/AQ subs had a hollow empty sound. Not the new i series. They are way stronger and fuller on the low end the the DCs. I'm not sure about numbers but they are peaking way lower pre breakin and sound much louder to the ear AND seem to be wreaking my car more, car has many layers of deadener and was built to not flex.. It's flexing like I've done nothing to it. I could do little shirt tricks with the DCs. The DDs will do hair tricks and move some with the door wide open. I don't plan on metering it cause I don't care about numbers anymore so I can't say what's better but the DDs are peaking WAY lower.

Power handling.. I only have about a hours play time on the DDs, they are seeing more power then the XLs but seem to be taking it better to this point. It's not that much more power.

Conclusion.... I can see why DD stays on top. Theses subs are pure hammers, sound amazing with little breakin. Everybody talks about the cost of DD. it's not anymore then every other big sub. I was looking at Mayhems, PSI platform 3s, and the 9500s. All where very close in price. I think I made the right choice. I'm officially a DD nutthugger. I'm sure ill be even more pleased with the M4a.
    Ill take that 5.0k when ya sell it I think it's your car man. Way more built up than mine and I almost hit your score yesterday.

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

mlstrass is online now Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

That power should have been fine for xl's, box wasn't right.

Do you wire down to .25ohm for burps???

DDtC is offline Go cheap you get cheap

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    That power should have been fine for xl's, box wasn't right.

Do you wire down to .25ohm for burps???
    They where dual 4s. I don't wire down, can't afford to just replace amps like that. I tried MANY boxes. Range of tuning and port area

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rebelfromva View Post
    Ill take that 5.0k when ya sell it I think it's your car man. Way more built up than mine and I almost hit your score yesterday.
    It could be. I want to meter these but I'm not.

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Alpine CDA-117
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DC 5K(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • DD M4a and XS D3100 coming soon
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

rebelfromva is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DDtC View Post
    They where dual 4s. I don't wire down, can't afford to just replace amps like that. I tried MANY boxes. Range of tuning and port area

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

It could be. I want to meter these but I'm not.
    I can't see more than .5-1db gain if that

09 Cobalt LT
    Headunit -Alpine CDA-9887
    Front Stage - PHD FB 6.1 PRO SIX M/B, FB 5.1 m/b, FB 1.1b tweets
    Highs amp -Pheonix Gold Xenon 100.4 & 200.4
    Sub stage - 2 DC M2 LVL 5 12s
    Sub amp - 2 DC 5.0Ks
    Electrical - Singer 270 alt, big 3 0/1 & 12g ofc audio technix, 2 XS d3400s
    Deadener - 80 mill Audiotechnix deadener
    "Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice"
    TEAM DC AUDIO

hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Apart from the LV5 and 6 DC doesn't really have any stand-out products IMO. 6 is beast, 5 is good but will sound and hold up better if you drop in a Nightshade recone kit. There's a reason DD can still compete in the market at their price point. It's a good product with exceptional build quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dd all day

Closed Thread