Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Subs work ok if they are touching top of the trunk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Subs work ok if they are touching top of the trunk?

I have a '91 Dodge Stealth. It is a hatchback. The trunk space is very shallow. I did get a custom box. My 2 12 inch Rockford Fosgate HX2's are facing up. Now one side of the box is touching the lowest part of the window on the trunk. The subs from the glass are only like 4 inches from it. Will they work fine? Is there enough airspace? Would the glass break? Help

kingpin_jeffie is offline i need a vacation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Subs work ok if they are touching top of the trunk?

You should be alright as long as the surround doesnt hit at full excursion.

Eclipse 8445|Alpine Type X 137r|Diamond D5 300.2/1200.1|ID 10v.3|

Refs: KARLEON, sephiroth619, SiX, Showrides, angrytrucker78, davidfre21, Relax, Slammed

He who laughs last is usually the slowest...

pavengmike6 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No your glass will not break from the subs. Is your box or your subs touching the window? If the subs are touching this is not a good thing. They need about 3 inch's to move. I am not sure on the exact distance of excursion those speakers have. If your speakers are touching the window you need to move the box or get a new one built. With your speakers that colse to the glass you are doing what is called front loading the speakers. Some people like the sound that front loading does for you and other say it takes away some of the effectiveness of the speaker.

But I can almost 100% assure you that your subs will not break the window. In 20 years of doing this I have NEVER seen a window break. I have seen a window that was already cracked split more, but not break.

Stealth Owner is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think just the box is touching the trunk. I dont think the subs are. But the subs are close to touching though. Will there still be alot of bass and good sound?

pavengmike6 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your box is what is making the bass sound. Granted the speakers are producing the air flow that creates the sound, but your box's freq is what is important. I guess the only way to tell is to hook it up and turn it on. As long as the speakers are not hitting you will be ok. I would be concerned about anything touching my window. You never know when the box may shift an inch or so, you close the trunk and SMASH there goes your window. If you are unhappy with the box touching the window I would make them rebuild it. If you have tinted windows you may end up scratching the window film. You paid good money to have them build this box make them do it RIGHT.

Is the box ported or sealed? I would think in that small of a trunk it is a sealed box. You are not going to get the heart stopping bass those speakers can produce in a ported box, but they will make good sound quality in a sealed box. Your car is not the best when it comes to bass. It is fast on the track, but not in the stereo comps. If they rebuild the box find out if there is a way to rear-fire the subs. That will produce a little more bass. It takes about 4 feet for bass sound waves to reach their full wave legnth. So at 4 feet you will get the full sound of the bass. Hope this helps.

Mike

Closed Thread