Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: 2.5" Voice coils or 3"?

DonH is offline .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Re: 2.5" Voice coils or 3"?

no problems with a 2.5" or 3" coil. like stated its all a culmination of soft parts. spiders, and weight of the cone, stiffness of the surround etc. all play a very important role in the sound reproduction of a driver.

Quote Originally Posted by chillin View Post
    How do you bridge a mono?
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopdan View Post
    throw it off one.
    feedback thread:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/402726-d-man1s-official-feedback-thread-2.html

DonH is offline .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclerico83 View Post
    i would get 2 xfl's from @mylows10 ;

and a box from @double 07 ; be very happy and loud for under 600 bucks lol

i wouldnt get those subwoofers if someone held a gun to my head, the box tho thats a good choice. no disrespect to mylows, I am just not impressed by any american bass drivers outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by chillin View Post
    How do you bridge a mono?
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopdan View Post
    throw it off one.
    feedback thread:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/402726-d-man1s-official-feedback-thread-2.html

3. Likes garretttt4 liked this post
    mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

well he could get dc subs too,which would be my first choice

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

AndrewHD is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys, I am now looking for 2 12's with softer parts and lower power handling than the BTL. My goal is not all out SPL anymore (already removed the second battery but still have big 3 and HO alternator). I would like it to sound good but be loud at all volume levels. I just didn't like how I needed to crank the volume to get the most out of the BTL. I am thinking of getting the SA 12's ported to 30hz in 3.75-4.0 cubic feet on around 1,500 watts @4ohms. By the way I was running the BTL on a Sundown SAZ 2500 at 1 ohm with dual batteries. Just looking to downgrade the power but still have plenty of air movement. Is this a good idea?

2005 Impala
    DC Power 300 amp alt
    XS Power D3400 under hood
    Big 3 Rockford 1/0 gauge
    Eclipse AVN 726E
    Rockford T3 6.5 component set
    Rockford 1000.4-ADCP
    Rockford 2500.1-BDCP
    2 Sundown SA 12 D4's
    4.0 cu. ft. 31hz

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Dc is nice. I would also look at some ssd from fi.

*Ace* is offline Subwooferologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beatin' View Post
    Isn't this always a problem with low qts subs? They need excessive power to play loudly.

Well if you don't have to give more power to the sub with the softer suspension to get the same SPL as the "SPL" driver, then why do "SPL" drivers even exist? The hell's the point????

Isn't the goal to get as much SPL as possible with the least amount of power?
    Try giving a sub with an extremely soft suspension 5000 watts rms for a burp and see if the spider tears, coil bottoms out, etc. SPL subs use stiff suspensions for mechanical power handling.

So in SPL subs you want to aim for low MMS and high BL for efficiency, and also stiff spiders for mechanical power handling when dealing with extreme power levels.

2011 Honda Civic Coupe
    Kenwood DDX419
    Image Dynamics CXS62 v.2 powered by an Audioque 200.2
    (2) Sundown SA 12" powered by an Audioque 1200D

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewHD View Post
    Hey guys just need a little help understanding the differences between the two voice coil diameters. When I had 3" coils on my BTL the sub would require massive amounts of power to get moving. I was wondering if I stepped down to a sub with 2.5" coils would it require less power to get moving?
    Coil power handling is roughly 100W per layer multiplied by the diameter (in inches). This can vary of course, but a decent rule of thumb.

BTL takes a lot of power to get moving because the suspension is stiff enough to stand on also. If you have limited power on tap an SPL sub that's designed to take 2000W + is likely not going to be your best solution and they'll almost never be terribly musical.

I'd say if you have the Sundown 2500 you don't want to mess with 2.5" coil sub unless you're using a pair of them and even then you'll be pushing it.

I suspect you might get more go out of that sub if you just re-cone it with a softer suspension.

VWBobby is offline PG and SS nuthugger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What you are talking about is efficiency. The more efficient the sub is, the less power it needs for the same output to the point of distortion. I'm glad you are choosing this route over more power and less efficient subs.

A SPL sub is designed to put out the most SPL at the specified tuning range or peak of the box and vehicle cabin. A stiff SPL sub will usually peak out a lot higher (55-65 hz range) than a sub that is designed more for SQL or SQ. For this reason, a stiff suspension SPL sub needs a heavy 3" or 4" coil and more power to overcome the restriction of the spider and surround (QTS).

I would rather take 2 efficient subs at 1500-2000 watts that can play flat from 20hz to 65hz than 1 inefficient sub with 2000-4000 watts that will peak around 55-65hz and not sound very good at any other range.

'65 VW Bus
    ------
    MA Hippo 122 (awaiting install),(2) Aura Sound 8's, (2) SoundStream 6.5 coax, (2) Alpine Type-S 6x9's [rear fill], MBQ DSC1500.1D, RF 501X

'02 BMW 330xi (AWD coupe)
    ------
    Harman/Kardon 12-speaker System Option + Dayton HO D4 10" and PPI Ion 650.1 in sealed box
    And many more car audio goodies in storage

AndrewHD is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VWBobby View Post
    What you are talking about is efficiency. The more efficient the sub is, the less power it needs for the same output to the point of distortion. I'm glad you are choosing this route over more power and less efficient subs.

A SPL sub is designed to put out the most SPL at the specified tuning range or peak of the box and vehicle cabin. A stiff SPL sub will usually peak out a lot higher (55-65 hz range) than a sub that is designed more for SQL or SQ. For this reason, a stiff suspension SPL sub needs a heavy 3" or 4" coil and more power to overcome the restriction of the spider and surround (QTS).

I would rather take 2 efficient subs at 1500-2000 watts that can play flat from 20hz to 65hz than 1 inefficient sub with 2000-4000 watts that will peak around 55-65hz and not sound very good at any other range.
    Thanks for your reply. I had my 15" BTL tuned at 35hz and once at 30hz and while it did get very loud, I knew it has more potential. But in my trunk car I believe 2 12's would move more air (not concerned with the numbers on the meter) while sounding better.

2005 Impala
    DC Power 300 amp alt
    XS Power D3400 under hood
    Big 3 Rockford 1/0 gauge
    Eclipse AVN 726E
    Rockford T3 6.5 component set
    Rockford 1000.4-ADCP
    Rockford 2500.1-BDCP
    2 Sundown SA 12 D4's
    4.0 cu. ft. 31hz

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

You could get a recone for the BTL with diff soft parts, ones that are more friendly for a daily set up.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2