Closed Thread

Reload Thread: will 2 10s at 400rms sound better than 1 12 at 400rms.

mdsniper7 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

will 2 10s at 400rms sound better than 1 12 at 400rms.

I am wondering if I get rid of my 2 10s that produce 400rms together sound that much better than 1 12 that does 400rms itself. Cause I would have half my trunk back. Ty.

rosrock is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: will 2 10s at 400rms sound better than 1 12 at 400rms.

What subs are they? Are they ported or sealed? Whats limiting you to 400 RMS? Whats your budget?

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

It should depending on the enclosure

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

All other factors being equal, one 12 should require about the same sized enclosure as two 10's, so you wont be getting half your trunk back unless you change your enclosure type/alignment.

As for your specific question, its much too general to really answer. And the way its worded, which "sounds better", makes this a subjective discussion, not an objective one.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

5. Likes Jerhemy, denim liked this post
    audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

All other factors being equal, one 12 should require about the same sized enclosure as two 10's, so you wont be getting half your trunk back unless you change your enclosure type/alignment.

As for your specific question, its much too general to really answer. And the way its worded, which "sounds better", makes this a subjective discussion, not an objective one.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the Rockford fosgate p1-10 in there ported incloser. 2 of them. I was thinking of going to 1 kicker compvr 12 in a sealed or ported enclosed. The kicker does as much as both p1s do. I have a gta1105 amp from Boston so I can't go any higher RMS cause I only have 400rms on the d channel.

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdsniper7 View Post
    I have the Rockford fosgate p1-10 in there ported incloser. 2 of them. I was thinking of going to 1 kicker compvr 12 in a sealed or ported enclosed. The kicker does as much as both p1s do. I have a gta1105 amp from Boston so I can't go any higher RMS cause I only have 400rms on the d channel.
    I don't think you understand how things work. Subs handle power, not put out power. Just because 1 sub handles the same amount of power as 2, doesn't mean it's going to be louder/sound better.

Honestly your two ported 10s on 400 watts should be louder than a single 12 on 400 watts. And when you say sound better, do you mean better sound quality or more output?

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

9. Thanks Jerhemy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I don't think you understand how things work. Subs handle power, not put out power. Just because 1 sub handles the same amount of power as 2, doesn't mean it's going to be louder/sound better.

Honestly your two ported 10s on 400 watts should be louder than a single 12 on 400 watts. And when you say sound better, do you mean better sound quality or more output?

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea the 2 10s will prolly be louder but when I go shopping etc I have no trunk space so I am thinking a 12 will give me the space I need while still souding good. Also I think I might go sealed for clarity. Also sound better I can mean like will it almost hit as loud, or be as clear.

also u confuse me on the handle power, doesnt a amp supply power to the components? so a sub would be putting at 400 watts rms all the time so a 400 watt sub would use it all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

yea the 2 10s will prolly be louder but when I go shopping etc I have no trunk space so I am thinking a 12 will give me the space I need while still souding good. Also I think I might go sealed for clarity. Also sound better I can mean like will it almost hit as loud, or be as clear.

also u confuse me on the handle power, doesnt a amp supply power to the components? so a sub would be putting at 400 watts rms all the time so a 400 watt sub would use it all?
    A Kicker CVR is probably one of the worst options if you are going for sound quality. Your two 10s would be louder and sound better too

Yes an amp puts out power, but it's not a constant 400 rms. Your amp will do the full power if all other factors were perfect as in a constant voltage, no box rise, constant note, but since music changes all these factors, you'll never see the true 400 watts.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

A Kicker CVR is probably one of the worst options if you are going for sound quality. Your two 10s would be louder and sound better too

Yes an amp puts out power, but it's not a constant 400 rms. Your amp will do the full power if all other factors were perfect as in a constant voltage, no box rise, constant note, but since music changes all these factors, you'll never see the true 400 watts.

And I was referring to your first post, where you said your subs "produce 400 rms". Your subs dont' produce power, they handle it.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Closed Thread