Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Does a amp automatically reconize a 2ohm sub?

mdsniper7 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does a amp automatically reconize a 2ohm sub?

I hope Im saying this right I have a boston aucustics gta 1105 5 channel amp and I am wondering it says 400 rms at 2 ohms or 250 at 4 if I hook up a 2 ohm sub to it does the amp automatically reconize it and adjust or do I have to change anything.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)

Re: Does a amp automatically reconize a 2ohm sub?

yes ,it recognizes the ohm load

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdsniper7 View Post
    I hope Im saying this right I have a boston aucustics gta 1105 5 channel amp and I am wondering it says 400 rms at 2 ohms or 250 at 4 if I hook up a 2 ohm sub to it does the amp automatically reconize it and adjust or do I have to change anything.
    Ohms is a measure of resistance. The amplifier has a specific 'pushing force' (watts), but how much the object that is being pushed resists this force (ohms) directly affects the over all work created (final wattage produced). Knowing this, lets pretend you have 2 boulders to roll up a hill. One boulder is twice the size/weight of the other. Your question about amplifier wattage is similar to if you would ask if your muscles would recognize the weight difference between the two boulders. There is no 'recognizing', the amp simply pushes, and the speaker resists. So like mylows10 said, no, the amplifier does not have any setting that needs to be changed to operate at a specific ohm load. Much like your muscles push each boulder with the same force, but the weight differences mean the over all speed you are able to roll each boulder will automatically change.

Hope that helps.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

naughtyca is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

the only thing you need to do is to wire it correctly what ever your final ohm load the amp will see and will play as long as the amp is stable for it. most amps are stable on 2 ohm

Closed Thread