Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Inverting woofers -- what does that change?

JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    412 Post(s)

Inverting woofers -- what does that change?

In my design configuration for my liberty, i may need to invert the woofers. The box is port up(middle) subs up...

In a low tuned enclosure(im trying to nail lows), will inverting the woofers do anything special or worse for my response?

** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

Bigmann6374 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Re: Inverting woofers -- what does that change?

Honestly it just messes with internal volume/tuning because your subs take up space when they are in the box and nothing when inverted. Fofr people with low airspace options this is a small solution.

3. Likes ciaonzo liked this post
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)

And don't forget to observe the polarity reversal if your setup was correct to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    And don't forget to observe the polarity reversal if your setup was correct to begin with.
    oh yea that too... lol

americannight is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

I've often wondered about this as well. Inverting the woofers in certain installs definitely looks cool. What do people do with their speaker wiring who do this? Now that the wiring is on the outside of the box. Do you run the wires into the box through a small hole and seal it with liquid nails or silicon?

JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    412 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    Heard about that, whats that all about?

** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by americannight View Post
    I've often wondered about this as well. Inverting the woofers in certain installs definitely looks cool. What do people do with their speaker wiring who do this? Now that the wiring is on the outside of the box. Do you run the wires into the box through a small hole and seal it with liquid nails or silicon?
    Why would you wire back through the box when your terminals are out of the box? And by inverting you reverse polarity as stated earlier all you have to do is wire + to - and - to + reversing the polarity back to pushing the cone out rather than towards the motor.

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    Heard about that, whats that all about?
    If your subs are in a good phase relationship with your midbass (blend well and hand off nicely to each other) you will need to invert the phase when you invert the drivers. It can sometimes be done at the head unit, too.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmann6374 View Post
    Why would you wire back through the box when your terminals are out of the box? And by inverting you reverse polarity as stated earlier all you have to do is wire + to - and - to + reversing the polarity back to pushing the cone out rather than towards the motor.
    I guess what I'm wondering about is what people are doing to keep their wiring looking clean. Having wire running from the sub accross the trunk floor to the amp seems messy and inviting problems if the wire gets snagged on something or pulled accidentally. Having the wire run directly from the sub into a terminal near the sub or hidden somewhere on the box seems like a possibility or if there is a path routed under the box for the wire to go, that would be another idea. Just curious what others are doing.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by americannight View Post
    I guess what I'm wondering about is what people are doing to keep their wiring looking clean. Having wire running from the sub accross the trunk floor to the amp seems messy and inviting problems if the wire gets snagged on something or pulled accidentally. Having the wire run directly from the sub into a terminal near the sub or hidden somewhere on the box seems like a possibility or if there is a path routed under the box for the wire to go, that would be another idea. Just curious what others are doing.
    Yeah I was wondering this as well. My first idea was to put 4 pairs of binding posts, one pair near each of the woofers and then two pairs on the back, and run the wires inside. That would look clean as hell, but not sure I want to do that. I'll be watching some options here too.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

fasfocus00 is offline doITdaWHITEwayORdoITtwice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

to me personally binding post look ugly. inverting subs and clean wire are fairly simple. depends on wire and enclosure design. I like to run them through the basket, you take to holes for where the basket mounts and you run on one + and the other -, on the inside of the enclosure you use a little silicone to ensure it's sealed.

Here is my feedback Thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ght=fasfocus00

"If you ain't cheatin', You ain't trying"

garretttt4 is offline big pimpin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1023 Post(s)

Wait so with a quad coil sub how would I wire them inverted? This whole reverse polarity is confusing me. Lol not trying to jack your thread but...

01 Silverado 2500hd
    Four custom mmats juggernaut 12's. (For sale, or trade for two beefy 12's or 15's)

Bought from: Jayzbent, mylows10, logan527, Timmy13091, wingsfreak9, Underfire
    Traded with: mylows10(x2), knowmadic
    Sold to: 03silverado03, foomanchu, heel4lyfe, Timmy13091, wErd

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fasfocus00 View Post
    to me personally binding post look ugly. Inverting subs and clean wire are fairly simple. Depends on wire and enclosure design. I like to run them through the basket, you take to holes for where the basket mounts and you run on one + and the other -, on the inside of the enclosure you use a little silicone to ensure it's sealed.
    niiiiiice!

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1839 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fasfocus00 View Post
    to me personally binding post look ugly. inverting subs and clean wire are fairly simple. depends on wire and enclosure design. I like to run them through the basket, you take to holes for where the basket mounts and you run on one + and the other -, on the inside of the enclosure you use a little silicone to ensure it's sealed.
    I love the look of binding posts. The way you described looks amazing as well, but I don't know man, I just wouldn't feel as safe losing 2 mount points. With two 40 pound motors behind my head, that could be the difference of my skull getting crushed against the dash in an accident. Chances are minimal, and maybe I'm just a pussy, but that's just me.

But, since I'm flush mounting, maybe doing a little cutout in the flush with enough space for either posts or just holes for wires might be the clean way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Closed Thread