I'm thinking about doing a DIY project instead of buying a typical home theater sub/amp/cabinet combo. I'm going to be using my DIY sub for 80% music and 20% tv, xbox, movies, etc.
I am trying to stay under $500. I've figured this so far:
- Dayton plate amp, 500rms @4 ohms, $265 from parts express
- Box materials, $60?, not really sure
- Subwoofer, $whatever is left after buying amp and box materials (yet staying under $500 for the project).
Here is where my questions come in:
1) About how much does it cost to build a simple ported box, with materials from Home Depot (wood, glue, nails, carpeting)
2) What should the box be tuned to? Probably pretty low if I'm going to use it with movies and stuff... 25hz?
3) What is a sub that would work well on 500rms and is comfortable getting that low, that is still around $200?
Thanks for any help guys!