Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Subwoofer popping noise

Sovelin is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Subwoofer popping noise

I recently had my subwoofer (ID12 D2V3) installed with a box from double 07, powered by a p1000.1 amp at 1ohm. I usually listen to my stereo at volume of 10, so I had the gain set fairly high (~75%). I have a knob under my steering wheel to control my bass so I can adjust it on the fly. Anyway, after about 20 hours of use (about 5 weeks) I noticed some popping every now and then, and much more frequently now. Sometimes I notice a smell like burning rubber. Am I having these issues because of the gain? If so, why would they start 20 hours into usage (and does this mean I've caused irreparable damage)? If it is due to the gain, how far should I turn it down (keeping in mind how low I usually keep the volume of my stereo, would I hear the sub at a lower gain at low volumes)?

If it isn't the gain, what else could be causing the popping noise and burning rubber smell?

double 07 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)

Re: Subwoofer popping noise

What is the SSF set on? It sounds like your sub is bottoming out and the burning smell could be the VC.....I hope the knob you are talking about up front is not a remote BASS BOOST knob because those are bad news......Do you have access to a multimeter to set your gain with? ...I would definitely look into the SSF on the amp...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm a noob when it comes to this. What is SSF? I don't think the knob is a bass boost. The guy at Best Buy who installed the sub told me I could use it to control my subwoofer without having to get out of the car and mess with the gain setting. I do not have a multimeter, but I could go to Geek Squad and have them adjust the gain if this is the issue.

What exactly does bottoming out mean? My sub can't handle the low notes?

BTW, the sound of the pop is like when you squeeze a plastic bottle, and it "pops" back to normal shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)

the SSF is the subsonic filter....it keeps the sub from over excursion when playing below the box tuning....If your sub was brand new a few weeks ago it would make since because now the suspension on the sub has loosened up a little and the amp can move it a lot easier.....Yes if you have a local shop that can set the SSF and gain I would let them do so if you can't yourself....

Then again the pop sound could be the dust cap on the sub...check it for cracks or gaps between it and the cone.....

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the help. I checked for cracks/gaps and found none. I'll have the SSF and gain fixed tomorrow morning. I'll look into the knob also, make sure it isn't a bass boost. It is possible that it isn't a bass boost, and it is exactly what I was told it is, right? Just a simple way to adjust my sub output?

BTW, I never thanked you properly for the box. It is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)

If that knob winds up being a BASS BOOST...I suggest having it removed and turn any boost on the amp off...Have them install you an LC1 in your sub RCAs.....That way you can go into the deck and turn the sub level all the way up, set the amp gain properly and when you go up and down on the LC1 you are only going from OFF up to the gain setting.....It's a lot safer and it will turn your subs 100% off when at the bottom......I love mine....

And thank you for the props on the enclosure sir

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The knob is connected by what looks to be a telephone wire to the amp in a port labeled "remote level control".

Closed Thread