Closed Thread

Reload Thread: coils fried

Bakesbaked is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

coils fried

need help here. so i got two brand new type rs 12inch put two of them on a t1500 turned the gain maybe a little under half way worked good for a month was in my girls car yesterday and they just both cut out so i ran through it the amp works, wasn't any thermal issues nothing but the left sub was stiff and locked up and made a really bad sound was burnt to hell when i pulled the cone and suspension off, and the other one just didnt work already got it down to just the basket and magnet. my choices are recoil it, recone the whole **** thing, or just get different subs, so im thinking recoil them, or should i just get some fi or AA audio subs. any help as to good sites for recones would be nice too. thanks

forgot to put in ported box think tuning was 40hz idk got the box for free. and wired down to 1ohm.

raptor727 is offline come get some!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: coils fried

Alot of things could have caused that like a box not the right size or tuned improperly, or my main thought you were probably clipping the shiiit out of them. Do some research on here abd read up thats the best way to find the best subs for you, oh and if it were me i would switch...

VisceralSound is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bakesbaked View Post
    need help here. so i got two brand new type rs 12inch put two of them on a t1500 turned the gain maybe a little under half way worked good for a month was in my girls car yesterday and they just both cut out so i ran through it the amp works, wasn't any thermal issues nothing but the left sub was stiff and locked up and made a really bad sound was burnt to hell when i pulled the cone and suspension off, and the other one just didnt work already got it down to just the basket and magnet. my choices are recoil it, recone the whole **** thing, or just get different subs, so im thinking recoil them, or should i just get some fi or AA audio subs. any help as to good sites for recones would be nice too. thanks

forgot to put in ported box think tuning was 40hz idk got the box for free. and wired down to 1ohm.
    It would be full recone or new subs, not recoil.

Generally it's not worth it to recone a Type R, but before dropping the money on a new subwoofer do some investigating as to why it blew, you should set your gains with a multimeter, make sure your voltage isn't dropping too low to produce dirty power ect.

What's your electrical consist of?

References: BigSix,

This industry is about innovation and setting your own path

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raptor727 View Post
    Alot of things could have caused that like a box not the right size or tuned improperly, or my main thought you were probably clipping the shiiit out of them. Do some research on here abd read up thats the best way to find the best subs for you, oh and if it were me i would switch...
    agreed thats why i was thinking just get some fi get a tester or a meeter and find where it clips. i might just save the baskets and build my own subs but yeah i though i had it turned down enough cause i was scared of clipping

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VisceralSound View Post
    It would be full recone or new subs, not recoil.

Generally it's not worth it to recone a Type R, but before dropping the money on a new subwoofer do some investigating as to why it blew, you should set your gains with a multimeter, make sure your voltage isn't dropping too low to produce dirty power ect.

What's your electrical consist of?
    well all it is, is stock alt stock battery, and a stupid capacitor which i wish i didnt buy, shouldve gotten a second batt or a higher voltage one. i was thinking about getting an xs battery for her car soon.

most likely dirty power cause the voltage dropped a bunch.

Closed Thread