Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Reconing subs, got spyder glued down. Now surround has a 1/2" gap. how to fix??

35thStangGT is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reconing subs, got spyder glued down. Now surround has a 1/2" gap. how to fix??

I bought a recone from member on here. Got the spider glued down now the sub needs to be pushed down and held down to glue the surround. I thought it was supposed to fit

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: Reconing subs, got spyder glued down. Now surround has a 1/2" gap. how to fix??

Pics?

Sounds like the depth of the cone is wrong and you're going to compress the spider to get the surround to sit on the lip of the frame? The suspension will not operate correctly if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Reconing subs, got spyder glued down. Now surround has a 1/2" gap. how to fix??

I had to push it down 1/4" the guy who I bought em from said it would be nbd. It looks normal I guess.. What will happen if the suspension isn't right?

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

so now that the surround is glued down is the spider sitting flat or pushed in 1/4"?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let me check tomorrow. Here's pics soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Sorry, but that's wrong.

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

7. Thanks Zeuslicious thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can someone tag @splaudio?

BrownVanMan is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 35thStangGT View Post
    Can someone tag @splaudio?

If he sold you the recone don't be worried it will get fixed.

RicksI30 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Head unit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996
    Front stage: Alpine Type X PRO mids Vifa Neo 1" silk tweeters
    Front stage amp: PPI Bk800.4
    Subs: SSA XCON 12's in 4.5 cubes tuned to 34hz
    Sub amp: PPI Bk1300.1
    Sound Deadening: Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Spectrum, and Sludge

Team SSA

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was asking him through the whole process. He kept saying its ok looking.

SPLaudio is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)

it is perfectly ok how that sits, it will NOT compress the spiders,lol.

i dont normally stock 4 spoke baskets in 15" so had to do the measurment and thats fine.

look in the pix where spiders are clamped the surrond is only up bout .200" tops.

like everything i do your totally covered.

havent i answered all the texts questions you have had?

post a pix of when glued up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Spiders and surrounds exhibit restoring force in both directions as long as they are moved out of rest position. You're saying it's okay to bias one or both of them and there won't be any penalty? Fact is, since the cone is biased upwards and the spider is biased downward (even if it's 'only' a 1/2"), once that's glued you've given up exactly that amount of travel from both the surround and the spider. Next we can talk about the Klippel curves that would reveal the god-awful behavior that situation causes.

Guess it doesn't matter if it's going to get thrown in a vented box with too much port area and hammered on at 50Hz.

14. Thanks RicksI30 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

BTW, I'm not trying to beat you up, sorry to come at you like that. I know you do good work. Just wanted to touch on this point of biasing a suspension.

SPLaudio is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)

there is only 3/16" dif once the spider is glued down not a 1/2".
    it wont push the spiders down at all and the surrond and spiders will allow more travel than the basket will allow.
    look in pix with spiders glued down.
    it dosent take any roll out of the surrond gluing like this.

i enjoying talking subwoofers, for people that are up on reconing with kits i recomend them sending in. i ONLY charge $25-30 to build a woofer up and use all my glue and give a 90 day warrenty.

17. Likes ciaonzo liked this post
    zedicus is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

i gotta agree with SPL, if the foam has more travel then the basket and or spider will allow then a little offset won't hurt at all, and might help stability by adding a little preload to the suspension. (like in a car, kinda) i don't build speakers but i do work on them locally. (mostly JL's because all the kids here hear JL and promptly wet themselves) SPL has even helped me out with advice and he tried getting me parts for an oddball ancient speaker with a stamped steel frame that i was working on, he is definitely a good guy to work with.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast