Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New Sub or New Box?

Knowmadic is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

New Sub or New Box?

So I picked up a 12" Alpine Type R for pretty cheap, like $75 new clearance, and I'm powering it with an Alpine PDX 600.1 so it's getting the power it wants. It's in a sealed Sound Ordnance enclosure that is 1.27 cu feet. The Alpine's sealed box recommendations are 0.65-1.25 cu feet. Right now it's not sounding very pleasant, not sure how to describe it but it doesn't blend well. I've tuned it with a DMM, have LPF set to 80hz, and subsonic to 15hz. I prefer the punchy feel to a subwoofer over the booming other subs make. I'm considering switching down to a 10" sub, maybe a JL W3 but I'm not sure. What are your opinions?

NASTY08IMPALA is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Re: New Sub or New Box?

Built a ported box around 2.25 -2.5 cubes..what kinda music u listen to? what car?

Dtrom is offline MAF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Newest type r? Don't you dare switch out a type r for a w3 lmao. I'd recommend a custom ported enclosure. Unless your set on staying sealed

REFS alot

4. Likes macsdad liked this post
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knowmadic View Post
    So I picked up a 12" Alpine Type R for pretty cheap, like $75 new clearance, and I'm powering it with an Alpine PDX 600.1 so it's getting the power it wants. It's in a sealed Sound Ordnance enclosure that is 1.27 cu feet. The Alpine's sealed box recommendations are 0.65-1.25 cu feet. Right now it's not sounding very pleasant, not sure how to describe it but it doesn't blend well. I've tuned it with a DMM, have LPF set to 80hz, and subsonic to 15hz. I prefer the punchy feel to a subwoofer over the booming other subs make. I'm considering switching down to a 10" sub, maybe a JL W3 but I'm not sure. What are your opinions?
    Do you feel that this setup is not as "punchy" as you want it to be and that the low end is a bit to over exaggerated for your tastes?

Knowmadic is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NASTY08IMPALA View Post
    Built a ported box around 2.25 -2.5 cubes..what kinda music u listen to? what car?
    I like listening to a mix of Rock/Dubstep so not exactly similar genres. Going in a 2001 Dodge Neon

Quote Originally Posted by Dtrom View Post
    Newest type r? Don't you dare switch out a type r for a w3 lmao. I'd recommend a custom ported enclosure. Unless your set on staying sealed
    It's the model before the newest, the 1223D, is there a significant difference in stepping up to the newer model? I'm not exactly set on staying sealed but I'm going for more of SQ than SPL. If anything I might switch to a 10" though but I'm not sure because then it might not be loud enough.

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    Do you feel that this setup is not as "punchy" as you want it to be and that the low end is a bit to over exaggerated for your tastes?
    It's definitely not as punchy as I'd like it to be, far from it. I'd say the low end is a bit overwhelming at times, but when it's on a lower listening level, like when you're talking to someone and listening to music still the bass is non existant.
    Last edited by Knowmadic; 02-10-2013 at 03:57 PM.

SAbass15 is offline Livin' Loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The box is really important, you might want to look into a new one. Maybe ported? Don't get rid of your type r

mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

a good box can make even a $50 woofer sound fantastic. have someone build you a propper box for what you want and you will not be disapointed.i had an older Type R 10 and it didnt shine until it went into a ported box. sealed it was kinda meh, sounded decent but seriously lacked output. once it went in a ported box it woke up. set my LPF to ~70hz and it was amazing. i beleive i was using a 2.4 cube @30hz on ~400w.

Matt

Star Mountain Nuthugger #5
    12" TC9 in 1.39 cubes @30hz
    Boston Acoustics GT-2300 @4 ohms bridged.

Quote Originally Posted by double 07 View Post
    Sub cutout got a little skar on it...dad blamed round over bit bearing came flying off.......LOL.......
    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    A little Skar on it? Was it a B-stock bit?
    Refs:
    bought from Nitefury360, Tallic, SPLaudio X2
    Traded with Marleyskater420

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Knowmadic;8317395]I like listening to a mix of Rock/Dubstep so not exactly similar genres. Going in a 2001 Dodge Neon

type r's really shine in ported boxes, your going to want a custom made box contact @double 07 ; for an enclosure instead of spending money on another sub when you have a decent one

double 07 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)

I agree the R is worth keeping....just put it in a nice ported enclosure and I think you will find its response remarkable over what you have now.....If you need a quote hit me up........thanks for the shout out McClerico

11. Likes mclerico83 liked this post
    T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Get a ported box.

I've been noticing a lot of newbies complaining that they don't like how their sealed boxes are performing lately. Personally, I wouldn't run a sealed box unless I was incredibly short on space, or I got the irrational and inexplicable urge to halve me sub's output for marginal benefit towards the response.

Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    Get a ported box.

I've been noticing a lot of newbies complaining that they don't like how their sealed boxes are performing lately. Personally, I wouldn't run a sealed box unless I was incredibly short on space, or I got the irrational and inexplicable urge to halve me sub's output for marginal benefit towards the response.
    Sealed enclosure can be ok if they are the correct volume. The issue is that most just pick up a random sealed pre-fab with out considering the volume of the enclosure. So they end up with a response curve that is not what they expected.......or of course in many cases some just expect to much from a sealed setup.

T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    Sealed enclosure can be ok if they are the correct volume. The issue is that most just pick up a random sealed pre-fab with out considering the volume of the enclosure. So they end up with a response curve that is not what they expected.......or of course in many cases some just expect to much from a sealed setup.
    Yeah, btw, I got that second HPO installed. I'm only running both of them off 150w for the time being until i can get my RUBI2500 shipped to me, but for how much power they're seeing, they're surprisingly loud. I can't wait to quadruple my power and see how they sound.

If you ever take any Memphis HPO10's out of any more cars, let me know, haha.

Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

macsdad is online now boom-boom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

as stated before, the enclosure is of utmost importance when it comes to a subs output, and yes, a ported encosure can have great sq.

Closed Thread