Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Refoaming??? Central FL

BassAddictJ is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Refoaming??? Central FL

Not sure how, but something gashed my psi/trf monster's foam really bad. Wondering if there's anyway to successfully salvage the rest and refoam it. would really hate to rip out the cone/spider/coil/leads that are all good just because the foam is fucked.

I'm in tampa but willing to drive to make this happen.

Opinions/Options??

Team American Power Systems
    Pioneer Avic N5 Navi + CD-UB100 USB Adapter. RARE Circa 1996 PPI Ax606.2 in BLACK (1 of 400ish made) with 2 rare black graphic spacers.
    CDT DRT-25 1'' Silk Dome Tweeters / CDT ES-04 4'' Midranges / RE Audio XXX 6.5'' 2ohm Neo Mids In Glassed Kick Pods
    American Power Systems 240amp H.O. Alty / (2) Deka 8a31, 1/0 front to back.
    Unknown Prototype 3k @ 1ohm. TRF/PSI 8 layer 4in coil hybrid beast in 3 cubs @ 33Hz / Raammat 40sqft in the trunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunz View Post
    You could put 12V to my balls and clamp my dick to get 3kW+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
    Glad this got bumped so I could fap to it again.

thorshammer1 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Refoaming??? Central FL

Home depot, lowes, ace hardware all sell GOOP. The only one that works is all purpose in a blue tube with goop in beg red letters down it. Guaranteed it will work to repair even the most evil of surround abusers.... like me lol

Team DefJ
    Team DC

2 DC lvl 5 10's 152.4 TNESPL 42hz
    152.6 DBDrag 40hz
    2 DC lvl 5 12's 153.1 DbDrag 45hz
    2 DC lvl 5 15's? To Be Determined
    For all your DC Audio need rob@dcsoundlab.com

Flastrongman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I can probably help you out if I can find a new foam for it

Refs: diyma-sold to:Mazda3SQ CA.com-traded:matrxx dude CACO- Sold to: Ajax_6154, brandonb1029, TeejayBee traded with: papito FLSPL- Bought from:98chevySPL, JBLCAMRY, traded with:97montecarlo, thumpenranger

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

i used some gorrilla glue brand duct tape in the mean time. seems to be holding. I'm going to track down some of that goop and do a layer and retape with maybe one or two layers of tape.

Easier chances of find a cone with the foam already on it. but if I need to cross that bridge I might be making a trip ft myers.

Pioneer Avic N5 Navi + CD-UB100 USB Adapter. RARE Circa 1996 PPI Ax606.2 in BLACK (1 of 400ish made) with 2 rare black graphic spacers.
    CDT DRT-25 1'' Silk Dome Tweeters / CDT ES-04 4'' Midranges / RE Audio XXX 6.5'' 2ohm Neo Mids In Glassed Kick Pods
    Unknown Prototype 3k @ 1ohm. TRF/PSI 8 layer 4in coil hybrid beast in 3 cubs @ 33Hz / Raammat 40sqft in the trunk.

blobb454 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

That ***** dude... Another option would be to just order a new foam ring and do it your self.. It's already jacked so you have nothing to loose.. Kind of. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by kpetree View Post
    I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BassAddictJ View Post
    i used some gorrilla glue brand duct tape in the mean time. seems to be holding. I'm going to track down some of that goop and do a layer and retape with maybe one or two layers of tape.

Easier chances of find a cone with the foam already on it. but if I need to cross that bridge I might be making a trip ft myers.
    Shoe goop also works well (in the red tube), though the original (blue tube) is always a safe bet. That and gorilla tape will do **** near any surround repair.

As far as replacing just the foam, probably not going to happen. It's a horrible pain in the arse to scrape foam away from the cone and not much better to clean the basket down to bare metal. Also most of the companies that sell ONLY the foam are mostly foams for older home and PA speakers and will almost definitely not have anything as thick or rugged as what you want.

From there, even assuming you can get a raw surround, you'll need to pull off the dustcap and shim up the coil before glueing. You can not simply replace the cone since the cone/coil joint is typically the strongest bond of the whole thing and unless you built it yourself who knows what kind of glues were used? If you use only CA glue you can recycle the coil by soaking it in some acetone, otherwise if it's some sort of epoxy it's a done deal and you'll never get the coil free from spider and cone.

blobb454 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    Shoe goop also works well (in the red tube), though the original (blue tube) is always a safe bet. That and gorilla tape will do **** near any surround repair.

As far as replacing just the foam, probably not going to happen. It's a horrible pain in the arse to scrape foam away from the cone and not much better to clean the basket down to bare metal. Also most of the companies that sell ONLY the foam are mostly foams for older home and PA speakers and will almost definitely not have anything as thick or rugged as what you want.

From there, even assuming you can get a raw surround, you'll need to pull off the dustcap and shim up the coil before glueing. You can not simply replace the cone since the cone/coil joint is typically the strongest bond of the whole thing and unless you built it yourself who knows what kind of glues were used? If you use only CA glue you can recycle the coil by soaking it in some acetone, otherwise if it's some sort of epoxy it's a done deal and you'll never get the coil free from spider and cone.
    Wholly shiz... Lol I had no idea yacht much went into a rering.. Just assumed. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by kpetree View Post
    I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Blue goop all purpose it is then...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'll keep you guys posted
    Last edited by BassAddictJ; 02-01-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

What's the best cleaner to get the old left over duct tape adhesive off the surround? Gonna try to be more conservative with the tape this time.

Closed Thread