Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Big Three and Cap But No Cigar HELP

tanpatnode is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big Three and Cap But No Cigar HELP

Yesterday a friend and I installed the big three using 0 gauge wire followed all the steps and got it completed. Car even started the first time! Btw, this is a 99 Subaru Legacy and the total RMS of the system is just shy of 2000 and is going to be moved to 2800 shortly. We also installed a 5 farad cap hoping that that would at least help somewhat with the extreme dimming.

It has a voltage meter thing on it and when the sub hit, it's a RE XXX 15 through a 1200W Hifonics amp, were gettings readings of 11.4 at the lowest. I know caps don't fix everything but I guess we were expecting the get slightly better readings.

What do we upgrade first? Battery or alternator? Both stock currently and alternator is 85 amps.

Thanks for any help guys...

NASTY08IMPALA is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Re: Big Three and Cap But No Cigar HELP

Yea caps r garbage ...more than likely gona need alt and batteries...good agm under the hood and one in the back.

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

grounds well sanded? Terminals securely fastened? And yeah, switch the cap out for an agm.

SomeguyinPDX is offline GunHappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also verify that amp gains are set properly. If it's even a tiny bit off it can make a huge difference in power consumption at high volumes.

WTB Alpine KTX-100eq Please PM me if you have one to sell. 3/14/13
    2001 Taurus Work In Progress: HU- Alpine 9887, AMPS- RF T1500-1bdcp, a/d/s M860, Front Stage 2- 6.5" Silver Flutes, 2- Seas Prestige tweets, Rear Stage-CDT HD69cfx Sub Stage 2- AB XFL 1544's, Mobile Enclosure designed box Processing 1-AudioControl EQX Series II, Electrical- 220amp HO alt, lots of 0/1 welding cable,2-yellow top Optima's, Security Viper 2way and XD9 subcompact

SOLD or Purchased from: CD6551, ace_800, underfire , Cyclone9, mclsound, mylows10, BigSix.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

yea trying to run 2000w on a 85a alt is gona be no fun regardless...u gota figure the car uses 40-50 just to operate ..not much reserve left..def make sure al the install is done properly. ie ..good grounds gains set proper etc ..then start with batteries and alt

myjaja is offline Audioque

San Antonio, Tx Posts: 143,632 _____<^>*_*<^>_____
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tanpatnode View Post
    Yesterday a friend and I installed the big three using 0 gauge wire followed all the steps and got it completed. Car even started the first time! Btw, this is a 99 Subaru Legacy and the total RMS of the system is just shy of 2000 and is going to be moved to 2800 shortly. We also installed a 5 farad cap hoping that that would at least help somewhat with the extreme dimming.

It has a voltage meter thing on it and when the sub hit, it's a RE XXX 15 through a 1200W Hifonics amp, were gettings readings of 11.4 at the lowest. I know caps don't fix everything but I guess we were expecting the get slightly better readings.

What do we upgrade first? Battery or alternator? Both stock currently and alternator is 85 amps.

Thanks for any help guys...
    Just wondering, if you have a hifonics 1200 watt amp, how is that close to 2000 watts rms? Do you have a 4 channel amp as well? Id get rid of that cap and put yourself an xs power battery in the back. You should be good to go with that. Also, what ohm are you wired at? Id also change out the battery up front as well.

Refs: sbcaprice305, mattmcss, systembumping, LeofromtheH, audiobahnuser18, stishdr, wcarson8911, jnoel, mr_kebo, 93 saturn sl2

HU: Home stereo converted to dc
    Speakers: Stock
    Subs: 6 1/2 home sub
    Amp: off the stereo
    Wiring: extended power cord
    neon lights: Christmas lights duct taped to frame

jteske88 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Where are these numbers coming from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

He probably has another amp

tanpatnode is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry Yes I have a 700watt 4 channel for the others. Thanks for all the good stuff guys, I knew that it wasn't going to be a perfect fix but it really didn't improve anything.
    What do you mean by adjust the gains? I think right now we have it set at 9 out of 10 as 10 brings distortion.
    We are going to upgrade the sub amp to give the XXX's at least their RMS so thinking maybe a some sort of Sundown amp roughly around 2000w.

Would we be able to get by with just an alternator change then leave the stock battery?

slim2fattycake is offline rolling right along

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

you want an extra battery as well as alt.

SPL-Lab REP

Want an SPL meter for a lot less than the cost of a Termlab, but just as accurate and has more features and support? PM me.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tanpatnode View Post
    Sorry Yes I have a 700watt 4 channel for the others. Thanks for all the good stuff guys, I knew that it wasn't going to be a perfect fix but it really didn't improve anything.
    What do you mean by adjust the gains? I think right now we have it set at 9 out of 10 as 10 brings distortion.
    We are going to upgrade the sub amp to give the XXX's at least their RMS so thinking maybe a some sort of Sundown amp roughly around 2000w.

Would we be able to get by with just an alternator change then leave the stock battery?
    No I dont think that would work..lol..Thats a big draw for one thing, and a standard batt even with a HO alt is not going to be good enough for that amps needs, let alone with the other amp you have.You would be working the Chit out of that alt, prob wouldnt last you very long at all,2/4/6months?A year MAYBE?Be worth getting a Good AGM under the hood, and possibly one in the rear as well,for supply needs.You Need Power To Make Power..i just took out a 600 Kinetick, and put my old 6 farad cap in, and working just fine/no dimming with a redtop under the hood/stock alt with ELD Bypass,may look into getting a larger alt that bolts directly on before buying an ho,not all caps are garbage,and work in some instances

Closed Thread