Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Reload Thread: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

  1. #1
    Bigmann6374's Avatar
    Bigmann6374 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Moon, PA
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    In a bit of a debate with subwoofers right now my skar audio zvx-15 which I recently purchased has been good to me but its on a soundstream rub2500 and I'm a bit disappointing at the subwoofer because it is bottoming out on the low notes and the amplifier is not clipping. I don't understand how a 8 layer coil with a 340 oz mag could bottom out on 2.5k if its even getting 2.5k. btw box is right under 4 cubes.

    Now I am also debating buying 2 12" lanzar opti 1233d's rated at 3000rms a piece and I have seen them take it. Now would this be an upgrade or a down grade in your opinions? And what are some suggestions you may have? I don't have deep pockets so upper Fi, DD, DC, blah blah blah is gonna be too much. I want to hit at least 152 db with 5k out of the trunk of a honda civic. Suggest away!







  2. #2
    NASTY08IMPALA's Avatar
    NASTY08IMPALA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY
    Posts
    5,195
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    I got 2 dd3512.s for sale 440 shipped i had them on my aq3500.1 and they took every bit of it all day everyday..what were u gona pay for the opti.s




  3. #3
    wickedwitt's Avatar
    wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    You're leaving way too much unknown OP. What are you tuned to, vs the notes the sub is bottoming out to? Are you sure there isn't clipping in the song it is bottoming out on? (Not all songs are recorded equally).

    You are also limiting yourself from many of the subs that will actually handle 2500w daily without giving up. You may want to sacrifice power for cone area if a number is your goal.



    Stupid Loud.

  4. #4
    mazdakid's Avatar
    mazdakid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    illnoise
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Whats your box tuned to and what notes is it bottoming out on?
    I think youre going to need a little more power and a really good box design to hit your goal of 152 from a civic trunk.



    traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

  5. #5
    NASTY08IMPALA's Avatar
    NASTY08IMPALA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY
    Posts
    5,195
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    What amp will u be running ..u said 5k?




  6. #6
    Bigmann6374's Avatar
    Bigmann6374 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Moon, PA
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Tuned to 40 and lows I'm talking about are 25 to 30 hz. And Ill check into the song clipping. Also #'s is my goal going to compete again this year.

    ---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by NASTY08IMPALA View Post
    What amp will u be running ..u said 5k?
    2 Rubicon 2500's




  7. #7
    VWBobby's Avatar
    VWBobby is offline PG and SS nuthugger



    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nibiru
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Gee, I wonder...... Trying to push a sub designed for 1500W RMS with an amp that putting out 2500W RMS and wondering why its bottoming out?

    This isn't a Sundown sub. I doubt they designed this sub to handle much more than 1700 - 1800 of CLEAN power, and even then, that's pushing it.

    The Lanzars on 2500W might not sound as good. You would be pushing them to about 1/2 of their power handling so they are not really in the "zone" for performance.
    I would rather go with 1 high quality sub like a TC LMS Ultra. Otherwise run 1 Lanzar at 2500W, since it can handle 3000W RMS, to keep it more within the power handling it was designed for.



    '65 VW Bus
    ------
    MA Hippo 122 (awaiting install),(2) Aura Sound 8's, (2) SoundStream 6.5 coax, (2) Alpine Type-S 6x9's [rear fill], MBQ DSC1500.1D, RF 501X

    '02 BMW 330xi (AWD coupe)
    ------
    Harman/Kardon 12-speaker System Option + Dayton HO D4 10" and PPI Ion 650.1 in sealed box
    And many more car audio goodies in storage

  8. #8
    mazdakid's Avatar
    mazdakid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    illnoise
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Your box is probably the problem with them bottoming out.
    I wouldnt try to play notes that low with a box at 40hz.



    traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

  9. Likes ThatChevyGuy, southernboom88 liked this post
  10. #9
    Bigmann6374's Avatar
    Bigmann6374 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Moon, PA
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Quote Originally Posted by NASTY08IMPALA View Post
    I got 2 dd3512.s for sale 440 shipped i had them on my aq3500.1 and they took every bit of it all day everyday..what were u gona pay for the opti.s
    Budget is 400 for optis.. But that is in 1 1/2 weeks.




  11. #10
    NASTY08IMPALA's Avatar
    NASTY08IMPALA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY
    Posts
    5,195
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Yea idk abt a 152 on those amps and sus from a civic ..might be reaching for the stars..whats ur elecrical like




  12. Thanks av83 thanked for this post
  13. #11
    T.I.K.'s Avatar
    T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live



    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,151
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmann6374 View Post
    Tuned to 40 and lows I'm talking about are 25 to 30 hz. And Ill check into the song clipping. Also #'s is my goal going to compete again this year.

    ---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------



    2 Rubicon 2500's
    If you're tuning to the 40's and expecting to play 20-30hz notes very well, you have another thing coming. Your sub is probably unloading because you're trying to play too far under tuning. when you play under tuning the box doesn't help control your cone, it's being controlled by your motor and suspension. SO obviously the suspension and motor arent stiff/strong enough to control the cone well enough to keep it from bottoming out.



    Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

  14. Likes brooklynjoy2008, NASTY08IMPALA liked this post
  15. #12
    NASTY08IMPALA's Avatar
    NASTY08IMPALA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY
    Posts
    5,195
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    If you're tuning to the 40's and expecting to play 20-30hz notes very well, you have another thing coming. Your sub is probably unloading because you're trying to play too far under tuning. when you play under tuning the box doesn't help control your cone, it's being controlled by your motor and suspension. SO obviously the suspension and motor arent stiff/strong enough to control the cone well enough to keep it from bottoming out.
    Yea u cant expect to play 10-20 below tuning without some stif *** softparts




  16. #13
    Bigmann6374's Avatar
    Bigmann6374 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Moon, PA
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Quote Originally Posted by VWBobby View Post
    Gee, I wonder...... Trying to push a sub designed for 1500W RMS with an amp that putting out 2500W RMS and wondering why its bottoming out?

    This isn't a Sundown sub. I doubt they designed this sub to handle much more than 1700 - 1800 of CLEAN power, and even then, that's pushing it.

    The Lanzars on 2500W might not sound as good. You would be pushing them to about 1/2 of their power handling so they are not really in the "zone" for performance.
    I would rather go with 1 high quality sub like a TC LMS Ultra. Otherwise run 1 Lanzar at 2500W, since it can handle 3000W RMS, to keep it more within the power handling it was designed for.
    The ZVX's have better specs than the nighshades so they are exactly like sundown...




  17. Dislikes 05trailblazer, slim2fattycake, xShoWTeKx disliked this post
  18. #14
    Bigmann6374's Avatar
    Bigmann6374 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Moon, PA
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    Quote Originally Posted by NASTY08IMPALA View Post
    Yea u cant expect to play 10-20 below tuning without some stif *** softparts
    Alright then I'm not crazy thanks for the help I'm tuned to 40 because I'm competing again this summer and I'm going for 148 this year right now I know I'm above 146-147db Meca meters. Ill just dial back on the clarion eq for the low lows.




  19. #15
    macsdad's Avatar
    macsdad is offline boom-boom



    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    birmingham, Al
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: Skar zvx vs. Lanzar oti subwoofers

    oh snap, he said same as nightshade.




  20. Likes 05trailblazer, Loudmp5 liked this post
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 06:14 PM
  2. Lanzar 1200D vs. Lanzar 1500D
    By DaBaller504 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 10:59 AM
  3. Power Acoustik FUBR vs. Lanzar Otidrive
    By FAM4LIFE in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 08:06 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-23-2002, 02:59 PM
  5. JBL vs. Lanzar
    By BZkid14 in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2002, 11:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum