Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Reload Thread: SPL advice guys!!

  1. #1
    Joe562MMA's Avatar
    Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles , CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Icon12 SPL advice guys!!

    well not only spl but opinions aswell,

    ok my mind was kind of set on running either 4 18s (currently running 4 15s)

    but ive heard from people they get loud on just 2 Really good 18s on good power & a great box to match


    so what do u guys think im in a astro van so space for box is not an issue, for power i have dual alts 250amp each 4 cnd 400s welding wire & a crescendo bc 5500..




    i can either just go with my original plan of 4 18s entry level, or i can try an achieve my goals with too good 18s either like a lvl 5 or 6 or pretty much 2 of any of the top series in any brand...

    can i get some input? if u or anyone u know has experience with astros your help would be appreciated..


    (dont know how true it is but guy told me his buddies hitting 60s with only 2 18s)



    Mixing my martial Arts




  2. #2
    RangerDangerV2's Avatar
    RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    st cloud MN
    Posts
    4,869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    im going two 18s. because it is easier to push them to their power limits. but I think you should do 4 very good 18s on high power.



    1999 Tahoe
    2 sa12s
    4th order
    145.18 @33z... with less than 500 watts!

  3. #3
    itsblown's Avatar
    itsblown is offline why is there smoke?



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toledo OH
    Posts
    1,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    .... when you say entry level? because level 6's arent cheap. I would say 4, just because 1 of the top of the line" 18's would have to have double the displacement as 1 of the entry level 18's to be as loud. Also if you plan on running a lot of power, more woofers is more heat displacement.




  4. #4
    Joe562MMA's Avatar
    Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles , CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
    im going two 18s. because it is easier to push them to their power limits. but I think you should do 4 very good 18s on high power.
    that would be ideal but i dont know if i have the cash to fork out for another bc 5500 & about 700 each good 18



    Mixing my martial Arts

  5. #5
    RangerDangerV2's Avatar
    RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    st cloud MN
    Posts
    4,869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    Quote Originally Posted by itsblown View Post
    .... when you say entry level? because level 6's arent cheap. I would say 4, just because 1 of the top of the line" 18's would have to have double the displacement as 1 of the entry level 18's to be as loud. Also if you plan on running a lot of power, more woofers is more heat displacement.
    for daily... go with more cone area. burps go with the 2 18s.



    1999 Tahoe
    2 sa12s
    4th order
    145.18 @33z... with less than 500 watts!

  6. #6
    Joe562MMA's Avatar
    Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles , CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    Quote Originally Posted by itsblown View Post
    .... when you say entry level? because level 6's arent cheap. I would say 4, just because 1 of the top of the line" 18's would have to have double the displacement as 1 of the entry level 18's to be as loud. Also if you plan on running a lot of power, more woofers is more heat displacement.

    thats the thing i wasn't planning on running much but entry level i mean oa 18s or dc level 3m2 subs or idk any of the lower model 18s i can get lol

    entry level subs that i can run all four off my one bc 5500



    Mixing my martial Arts

  7. #7
    Joe562MMA's Avatar
    Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles , CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
    for daily... go with more cone area. burps go with the 2 18s.
    yea its gonna be daily, i doubt ima be burpin i think im done chasing numbers joining the dark wind tunnel side an tuning to around 26-28 hz



    Mixing my martial Arts

  8. #8
    kushy_dreams's Avatar
    kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    twenty past four
    Posts
    4,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    why not 4 18s (or 15s) in a 4th order



    13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T


    http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

    BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

  9. #9
    itsblown's Avatar
    itsblown is offline why is there smoke?



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toledo OH
    Posts
    1,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe562MMA View Post
    thats the thing i wasn't planning on running much but entry level i mean oa 18s or dc level 3m2 subs or idk any of the lower model 18s i can get lol

    entry level subs that i can run all four off my one bc 5500
    you can run non entry level subs on the bc 5500. Im pretty sure the price of a level 5 18 is probably more if not the same as the price for 4 oa 18s... not 100% positive but you should look into that




  10. #10
    Joe562MMA's Avatar
    Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles , CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kushy_dreams View Post
    why not 4 18s (or 15s) in a 4th order
    would a 4th order do good in my application? astro van...

    ---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by itsblown View Post
    you can run non entry level subs on the bc 5500. Im pretty sure the price of a level 5 18 is probably more if not the same as the price for 4 oa 18s... not 100% positive but you should look into that
    yea u may be right i think around 800 for lvl 5 18



    Mixing my martial Arts

  11. #11
    RangerDangerV2's Avatar
    RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    st cloud MN
    Posts
    4,869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    astro van... 4 15s in a 6th. do it. I see easy 160s if you bump up the power a little bit... just look at yuey...



    1999 Tahoe
    2 sa12s
    4th order
    145.18 @33z... with less than 500 watts!

  12. #12
    kushy_dreams's Avatar
    kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    twenty past four
    Posts
    4,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe562MMA View Post
    would a 4th order do good in my application? astro van...
    yes, you said you have unlimited space which would make a 4th order perfect, because it has a higher efficiency over a standard ported box and they run on the large side, plus you can make a removeable port to change tuning from a low daily ground pounder to a high tuned burp setup if you feel the need to chase a number.

    6th order could work too, I just don't know a lot about them



    13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T


    http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

    BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

  13. #13
    Joe562MMA's Avatar
    Joe562MMA is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles , CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    how big would the 6th have to be, im asking like i know what it is lol ima go youtube some 6ths lol



    Mixing my martial Arts

  14. #14
    itsblown's Avatar
    itsblown is offline why is there smoke?



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toledo OH
    Posts
    1,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    if its 800 for a level 5 and you were about to buy 2, I dont know why were not discussing putting 8 18's in there




  15. #15
    kushy_dreams's Avatar
    kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    twenty past four
    Posts
    4,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

    Re: SPL advice guys!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe562MMA View Post
    how big would the 6th have to be, im asking like i know what it is lol ima go youtube some 6ths lol
    I guesstimate at least 30+ cubes, just for the airspace, no sub, port, wood displacements, so probably more like 40-50+ cu/ft



    13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T


    http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

    BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

  16. Likes RangerDangerV2 liked this post
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need Advice Guys!! (gals?)
    By Rockabilly1955 in forum Car Video, Security and Electronics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 11:46 PM
  2. SPL Advice - 15" Rockford T1
    By RedlineAccord in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
  3. SPL advice needed for my hatchback
    By BassAddictJ in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-01-2006, 08:45 AM
  4. Need some advice guys.
    By HHawk in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 02:55 PM
  5. Box and power for a PG ti.. need advice guys...
    By mamey69 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 04:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum