Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Sub planning: which Sundowns?

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1820 Post(s)

Sub planning: which Sundowns?

Build will be in a Blazer. Amp will be a DC 5.0k. Jacob hooked me with his new woofers, love the high xmax linear driver appeal.

Choices:
    1) Four Sundown X-12's

2) Two Sundown Zv.4 15's

Goal: Around 8 cubes, tune real low, be able to play into the mid 20's respectfully, while up to my comps crossover of 80. Very musical, want to tailor the build to SQ. Sounds dumb, but I want to do a loud, great sounding build. I know it will be loud with this power, so I want all variables that I can tailor to be geared toward SQ. Won't be competing, building it to sound good to my own ears.

And I know the drivers aren't out yet so a great decision can't fully be made, but I want to jump on the pre-order, so I want to have this hashed out now.

Which should I do, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

Re: Sub planning: which Sundowns?

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

30% more cone area in the same amount of airspace, 12's are the obvious choice.

Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1820 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    30% more cone area in the same amount of airspace, 12's are the obvious choice.
    Exactly my thought too. And the 12's might have a little easier time staying useful up to the LPF.

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Exactly my thought too. And the 12's might have a little easier time staying useful up to the LPF.
    probably, its hard to tell how certain subs will play high notes. It's a non-issue for me though. If you really want good mid bass, you'll pod your doors and drop some 8's in.

ewadz3006 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)

Buy all of them, then switch back and forth until you decide. Then give the ones you don't want to me... for free!

I feel sorry for those who do not drink, when they wake up on the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day.-Frank Sinatra

2004 mercury mountaineer
    Hu Kenwood excelon x996
    Fronts Incriminator audio comps
    Front amp Aq 120.4
    sub amp Aq2200d
    subs 2 sundown sa 12's @ 32hz
    wiring knu 1/0 ofc

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1820 Post(s)

probably, its hard to tell how certain subs will play high notes. It's a non-issue for me though. If you really want good mid bass, you'll pod your doors and drop some 8's in.
    Not gonna go 8's, but I will be doing a proper install of my CDT comps. Doors sealed and all. Basically almost full-on SQ front stage. Will be first time going active too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Not gonna go 8's, but I will be doing a proper install of my CDT comps. Doors sealed and all. Basically almost full-on SQ front stage. Will be first time going active too.
    Yeah, this build is really similar to what I eventually want in my car. I'd def hold off until the X series comes out, they look worth it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1820 Post(s)

Yeah, this build is really similar to what I eventually want in my car. I'd def hold off until the X series comes out, they look worth it.
    Yeah, it's either X's or Zv.4's for me. Jacob's doing good shit, really deserves all the nuthugging he gets. But I'm thinking the X-12's will sound a little better in the application I want them in.

Maybe @double 07 or @Buck can throw some knowledge, factoring a box in there, my way.

sjv13 is offline StayStrange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    324 Post(s)

I'm jealous. I want to hear it when it's all done. Too bad I never will! :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    414 Post(s)

12s for sure..

double 07 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)

My vote goes to the 12s.....think they would be tough to beat with the right power on them...go for it

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2522 Post(s)

2 door or 4 door blazer? I did 4 12s in a 4 door for a bit(before it went to a wall). Was a very nice setup once of the more enjoyable ones. We did 15s as well, but I'm a fan of 3-4 subs in most installs if they actually fit. Not for output reasons just aesthetics in most case. However, the 4 12s did out perform the 2 15s on the meter and daily.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1820 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by double 07 View Post
    My vote goes to the 12s.....think they would be tough to beat with the right power on them...go for it
    It will be off a DC 5k. The X-12's are rated at 1250W RMS, but his testing has shown them taking a 2500D free air no sweat, so I don't know

Maybe I'll just have to make the box bigger. Was really hoping for around 8 cubes though.

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    2 door or 4 door blazer? I did 4 12s in a 4 door for a bit(before it went to a wall). Was a very nice setup once of the more enjoyable ones. We did 15s as well, but I'm a fan of 3-4 subs in most installs if they actually fit. Not for output reasons just aesthetics in most case. However, the 4 12s did out perform the 2 15s on the meter and daily.
    4 door more than likely. I will be moving next weekend, and purchasing a vehicle shortly after, so really I'll take either if I find a deal. But either one will have the same setup in it. I'm thinking the 12's would look nicer atleast, could invert 2. With the 12's havin more cone area I would think output would be greater. I would be able to push each 15 more than each 12 with the power I have though. I'm thinking that difference would negligable however.

Can either of you discuss how each one would work out playing the range I would like them to? Hoping for authority into the mid-20's, while staying musical up to a LPF at around 80Hz.

@Buck you got any info for me?
    Last edited by gckless; 01-17-2013 at 08:41 PM.

RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2228 Post(s)

nsv2's...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast