Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Why don't subwoofers utilize phase plugs?

T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

Why don't subwoofers utilize phase plugs?

Read the title.

Wouldn't it make sense to keep mms down? Especially on SQ woofers?

Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1824 Post(s)

Re: Why don't subwoofers utilize phase plugs?

Also interested in this.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Based on everything I have read so far, simply on its own MMS seems pretty much insignificant parameter. There have been some variations on this theme, some people saying that MMS does not matter, but BL/MMS does or BL squared/MMS does. And then there was a widely discussed paper posted on Adire Audio web site alleging that they have done an experiment that MMS has nothing to do with subwoofer's transient response, and the inductance is very important, or something like that. Of course, there are also many counter-examples to the statement "high or non-linear inductance is bad for SQ" as there exist highly regarded for SQ subwoofers, such as Image Dynamics or JL Audio ones, without inductive treatment.

Whatever the truth is, one thing I learned is not to make blanket statements like "Low MMS is good" or "high BL is good" (Nonetheless, I still consider inductance behavior as a factor when selecting a subwoofer, but I can see myself buying a sub with no inductive treatment if others say it sounds good).

Next onto the phase plugs.. two things I heard about them is that they
    1. Help with cooling, specially when they're made with metal (instead of plastic or wood)
    and
    2. They can reduce the effects of beaming, which seems irrelevant in case of subwoofers (I don't care if my sub is beaming at 300Hz or 400Hz or whatever).

On the other hand, you lose a bit of cone area to the phase plug, which seems important to the subwoofers. Also, with a phase plug, you no longer have a perfect seal between the interior air and the exterior. All of this as well as the fact that I haven't seen subwoofers with a phase plug suggests that they're not that important or useful.

I am waiting for a good response too, hopefully from someone like from sundownz.

T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Based on everything I have read so far, simply on its own MMS seems pretty much insignificant parameter. There have been some variations on this theme, some people saying that MMS does not matter, but BL/MMS does or BL squared/MMS does. And then there was a widely discussed paper posted on Adire Audio web site alleging that they have done an experiment that MMS has nothing to do with subwoofer's transient response, and the inductance is very important, or something like that. Of course, there are also many counter-examples to the statement "high or non-linear inductance is bad for SQ" as there exist highly regarded for SQ subwoofers, such as Image Dynamics or JL Audio ones, without inductive treatment.

Whatever the truth is, one thing I learned is not to make blanket statements like "Low MMS is good" or "high BL is good" (Nonetheless, I still consider inductance behavior as a factor when selecting a subwoofer, but I can see myself buying a sub with no inductive treatment if others say it sounds good).

Next onto the phase plugs.. two things I heard about them is that they
    1. Help with cooling, specially when they're made with metal (instead of plastic or wood)
    and
    2. They can reduce the effects of beaming, which seems irrelevant in case of subwoofers (I don't care if my sub is beaming at 300Hz or 400Hz or whatever).

On the other hand, you lose a bit of cone area to the phase plug, which seems important to the subwoofers. Also, with a phase plug, you no longer have a perfect seal between the interior air and the exterior. All of this as well as the fact that I haven't seen subwoofers with a phase plug suggests that they're not that important or useful.

I am waiting for a good response too, hopefully from someone like from sundownz.
    I mean, I understand that there's probably a good reason they're not used on subwoofers, I just want an explanation.

@sundownz

Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

blobb454 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

waiting to learn here.

Quote Originally Posted by kpetree View Post
    I feel like you're a waste of your mothers stretch marks, better luck finding your gf next season. Fck off, post dump somewhere else.

sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    301 Post(s)

The main benefit is to increase off-axis response and/or to otherwise shape the response on midrange drivers; which is exactly what zako stated.

On a sub-woofer you would *decrease* your cooling (the dust cap is the cover of the air pump after all - without the cap air doesn't pump through the pole vent or internal gap at all) and decrease your SD by the amount of the pole. Also... you are opening an air-leak directly into your enclosure ; even more so on drivers with vented gaps (air directly from the box could come out, through the gap, and out around the phase plug). Also you would open up the gap for debris, especially in car audio, hence the term "dust cap"

dragonrage is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Yeah, they have very little effect on larger waveforms (lower frequencies) because they are TINY compared to bass waveforms. Midrange/treble waveforms are much smaller, much more directional, and much more affected by reflections and phasing issues.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Selling/Trading soon...
    Ebay: ddfromma | Heatware feedback: ddfromma

SourDeez is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1857 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
    The main benefit is to increase off-axis response and/or to otherwise shape the response on midrange drivers; which is exactly what zako stated.

On a sub-woofer you would *decrease* your cooling (the dust cap is the cover of the air pump after all - without the cap air doesn't pump through the pole vent or internal gap at all) and decrease your SD by the amount of the pole. Also... you are opening an air-leak directly into your enclosure ; even more so on drivers with vented gaps (air directly from the box could come out, through the gap, and out around the phase plug). Also you would open up the gap for debris, especially in car audio, hence the term "dust cap"
    lol

game over

close thread.

Headunit - Stock cassette player - Pioneer P9400
    Front Stage - Pyle 8 inch subs (1000 watt peak!!) - Polk DB6.5 (about to be CDT 6.5s)
    Rear stage - Deleted (stolen) - Deleted
    Sub stage - custom built 15 inch sony xplod (5k watt peak!!!) (huge box) - Two SA12's built by Corey
    Sub amp - Pyle 8000w peak!! (spl edition) - AQ2200
    Electircal - 35 amp alt from ford festiva upgrade, stolen battery, 28 gauge solder coil for my cable - Dual D34 Yellows, 1/0 trystar OFC, 135amp alt

Closed Thread